- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Current Gerontology and Geriatrics Research
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 128581, 9 pages
Fifteen Dimensions of Health among Community-Dwelling Older Singaporeans
1Program in Health Services and Systems Research, Duke-National University of Singapore Graduate Medical School, 8 College Road, Level 4, Singapore 169857
2Department of Sociology, National University of Singapore, Singapore 117570
3Department of Community and Family Medicine, Duke University, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Received 27 May 2011; Revised 24 August 2011; Accepted 26 August 2011
Academic Editor: Ann L. Gruber-Baldini
Copyright © 2011 Chetna Malhotra et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Singapore Department of Statistics, “Key annual indicators. 2009,” http://www.singstat.gov.sg/stats/keyind.html.
- Singapore Department of Statistics, “Population trends 2009,” 2009, http://www.singstat.gov.sg/pubn/popn/population2009.pdf.
- C. M. Toh, S. K. Chew, and C. C. Tan, “Prevention and control of non-communicable diseases in Singapore: a review of national health promotion programmes,” Singapore Medical Journal, vol. 43, no. 7, pp. 333–339, 2002.
- Ministry of Community Development Youth and Sports, “Committee on Ageing Issues: Report on the Ageing Population,” 2006.
- J. F. Fries, “Aging, natural death, and the compression of morbidity,” Bulletin of the World Health Organization, vol. 80, no. 3, pp. 245–250, 2002.
- J. F. Fries, “Measuring and monitoring success in compressing morbidity,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 139, no. 5, part 2, pp. 455–459, 2003.
- C. J. L. Murray and A. D. Lopez, “Regional-patterns of disability-free life expectancy and disability-adjusted life expectancy: global Burden of Disease Study,” The Lancet, vol. 349, no. 9062, pp. 1347–1352, 1997.
- V. Mor, “The compression of morbidity hypothesis: a review of research and prospects for the future,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 53, no. 9, pp. S308–S309, 2005.
- G. Doblhammer and J. Kytir, “Compression or expansion of morbidity? Trends in healthy-life expectancy in the elderly Austrian population between 1978 and 1998,” Social Science and Medicine, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 385–391, 2001.
- Preamble to the Constitution of the World Health Organization as adopted by the International Health Conference, NY, USA, June 1946; signed on 22 July 1946 by the representatives of 61 States (Official Records of the World Health Organization, no. 2, p. 100) and entered into force on 7 April 1948. http://www.who.int/about/definition/en/print.html.
- C. A. Depp and D. V. Jeste, “Definitions and predictors of successful aging: a comprehensive review of larger quantitative studies,” American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 6–20, 2006.
- T. P. Ng, B. F. P. Broekman, M. Niti, X. Gwee, and E. H. Kua, “Determinants of successful aging using a multidimensional definition among chinese elderly in singapore,” American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 407–416, 2009.
- W. J. Strawbridge, R. D. Cohen, S. J. Shema, and G. A. Kaplan, “Successful aging: predictors and associated activities,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 144, no. 2, pp. 135–141, 1996.
- P. A. Bath, “Self-rated health as a risk factor for prescribed drug use and future health and social service use in older people,” The Journals of Gerontology Series A, vol. 54, no. 11, pp. M565–M570, 1999.
- K. B. DeSalvo, N. Bloser, K. Reynolds, J. He, and P. Muntner, “Mortality prediction with a single general self-rated health question: a meta-analysis,” Journal of General Internal Medicine, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 267–275, 2006.
- E. L. Idler and Y. Benyamini, “Self-rated health and mortality: a review of twenty-seven community studies,” Journal of Health and Social Behavior, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 21–37, 1997.
- E. L. Idler, L. B. Russell, and D. Davis, “Survival, functional limitations, and self-rated health in the NHANES I epidemiologic follow-up study, 1992,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 152, no. 9, pp. 874–883, 2000.
- A. Singh-Manoux, A. Dugravot, M. J. Shipley et al., “The association between self-rated health and mortality in different socioeconomic groups in the GAZEL cohort study,” International Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 1222–1228, 2007.
- S. J. Lee, S. Y. Moody-Ayers, C. S. Landefeld et al., “The relationship between self-rated health and mortality in older black and white Americans,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 55, no. 10, pp. 1624–1629, 2007.
- K. Okamoto, Y. Momose, A. Fujino, and Y. Osawa, “Gender differences in the relationship between self-rated health (SRH) and 6-year mortality risks among the elderly in Japan,” Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 311–317, 2008.
- J. Damián, R. Pastor-Barriuso, and E. Valderrama-Gama, “Factors associated with self-rated health in older people living in institutions,” BMC Geriatrics, vol. 8, article 5, 2008.
- M. O. Rahman and A. J. Barsky, “Self-reported health among older Bangladeshis: how good a health indicator is it?” Gerontologist, vol. 43, no. 6, pp. 856–863, 2003.
- W. Sun, M. Watanabe, Y. Tanimoto et al., “Factors associated with good self-rated health of non-disabled elderly living alone in Japan: a cross-sectional study,” BMC Public Health, vol. 7, article 297, 2007.
- J. J. Wang, W. Smith, R. G. Cumming, and P. Mitchell, “Variables determining perceived global health ranks: findings from a population-based study,” Annals of the Academy of Medicine Singapore, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 190–197, 2006.
- J. J. Wang, P. Mitchell, and W. Smith, “Vision and low self-rated health: the Blue Mountains Eye Study,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 49–54, 2000.
- T. Østbye, K. M. Krause, M. C. Norton et al., “Ten dimensions of health and their relationships with overall self-reported health and survival in a predominately religiously active elderly population: the cache county memory study,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 199–209, 2006.
- T. Østbye, R. Malhotra, and A. Chan, “Thirteen dimensions of health in elderly sri lankans: results from a national Sri Lanka aging survey,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 57, no. 8, pp. 1376–1387, 2009.
- M. Jylhä, J. M. Guralnik, J. Balfour, and L. P. Fried, “Walking difficulty, walking speed, and age as predictors of self-rated health: the women's health and aging study,” The Journals of Gerontology Series A, vol. 56, no. 10, pp. M609–M617, 2001.
- N. Haseli-Mashhadi, A. Pan, X. Ye, et al., “Self-Rated Health in middle-aged and elderly Chinese: distribution, determinants and associations with cardio-metabolic risk factors,” BMC Public Health, vol. 9, article 368, 2009.
- M. Bobak, H. Pikhart, C. Hertzman, R. Rose, and M. Marmot, “Socioeconomic factors, perceived control and self-reported health in Russia. A cross-sectional survey,” Social Science and Medicine, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 269–279, 1998.
- H. Miura, Y. Arai, S. Sakano, A. Hamada, T. Umenai, and E. Isogai, “Subjective evaluation of chewing ability and self-rated general health status in elderly residents of Japan,” Asia-Pacific Journal of Public Health, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 43–45, 1998.
- C. C. Reyes-Gibby, L. Aday, and C. Cleeland, “Impact of pain on self-rated health in the community-dwelling older adults,” Pain, vol. 95, no. 1-2, pp. 75–82, 2002.
- P. T. Mäntyselkä, J. H. O. Turunen, R. S. Ahonen, and E. A. Kumpusalo, “Chronic pain and poor self-rated health,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 290, no. 18, pp. 2435–2442, 2003.
- A. Molarius and S. Janson, “Self-rated health, chronic diseases, and symptoms among middle-aged and elderly men and women,” Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 364–370, 2002.
- I. Eriksson, A. L. Undén, and S. Elofsson, “Self-rated health. Comparisons between three different measures. Results from a population study,” International Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 326–333, 2001.
- K. Manderbacka, E. Lahelma, and P. Martikainen, “Examining the continuity of self-rated health,” International Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 208–213, 1998.
- L. Breslow, “A quantitative approach to the World Health Organization definition of health: physical, mental and social well-being,” International Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 347–355, 1972.
- J. P. Mackenbach, J. Van den Bos, I. M. A. Joung, H. Van de Mheen, and K. Stronks, “The determinants of excellent health: different from the determinants of ill health?” International Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 1273–1281, 1994.
- A. M. A. Smith, J. M. Shelley, and L. Dennerstein, “Self-rated health: biological continuum or social discontinuity?” Social Science and Medicine, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 77–83, 1994.
- S. Z. Nagi, “An epidemiology of disability among adults in the United States,” Milbank Memorial Fund Quarterly, Health and Society, vol. 54, no. 4, pp. 439–467, 1976.
- F. J. Kohout, L. F. Berkman, D. A. Evans, and J. Cornoni-Huntley, “Two shorter forms of the CES-D depression symptoms index,” Journal of Aging and Health, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 179–193, 1993.
- L. I. Pearlin and C. Schooler, “The structure of coping,” Journal of Health and Social Behavior, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 2–21, 1978.
- L. I. Pearlin, M. A. Lieberman, E. G. Menaghan, and J. T. Mullan, “The stress process,” Journal of Health and Social Behavior, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 337–356, 1981.
- J. Lubben and M. Gironda, “Centrality of social ties to the health and well-being of older adults,” in Social Work and Health Care in an Aging Society: Education, Policy, Practice and Research, B. Berkman, Ed., Springer, 2003.
- H. Chun, Y. H. Khang, I. H. Kim, and S. I. Cho, “Explaining gender differences in ill-health in South Korea: the roles of socio-structural, psychosocial, and behavioral factors,” Social Science and Medicine, vol. 67, no. 6, pp. 988–1001, 2008.
- K. F. Ferraro, “Self-ratings of health among the old and the old-old,” Journal of Health and Social Behavior, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 377–383, 1980.
- G. D. Weaver, Y. F. Kuo, M. A. Raji et al., “Pain and disability in older Mexican-American adults,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 57, no. 6, pp. 992–999, 2009.
- K. N. Sá, A. F. Baptista, M. A. Matos, and I. Lessa, “Chronic pain and gender in Salvador population, Brazil,” Pain, vol. 139, no. 3, pp. 498–506, 2008.
- T. Rustøen, A. K. Wahl, B. R. Hanestad, A. Lerdal, S. Paul, and C. Miaskowski, “Gender differences in chronic pain—findings from a population-based study of Norwegian adults,” Pain Management Nursing, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 105–117, 2004.
- A. Neville, R. Peleg, Y. Singer, M. Sherf, and P. Shvartzman, “Chronic pain: a population-based study,” Israel Medical Association Journal, vol. 10, no. 10, pp. 676–680, 2008.
- K. Hughes, K. C. Lun, and P. P. B. Yeo, “Cardiovascular diseases in Chinese, Malays, and Indians in Singapore. I. Differences in mortality,” Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 24–28, 1990.
- S. Ancoli-Israel, L. Ayalon, and C. Salzman, “Sleep in the elderly: normal variations and common sleep disorders,” Harvard Review of Psychiatry, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 279–286, 2008.
- T. P. Ng, A. Seow, and W. C. Tan, “Prevalence of snoring and sleep breathing-related disorders in Chinese, Malay and Indian adults in Singapore,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 198–203, 1998.
- C. M. Lin, T. M. Davidson, and S. Ancoli-Israel, “Gender differences in obstructive sleep apnea and treatment implications,” Sleep Medicine Reviews, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 481–496, 2008.
- P. E. Petersen and T. Yamamoto, “Improving the oral health of older people: the approach of the WHO Global Oral Health Programme,” Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 81–92, 2005.
- F. N. Hugo, J. B. Hilgert, M. Da Luz Rosário de Sousa, and J. A. Cury, “Oral status and its association with general quality of life in older independent-living south-Brazilians,” Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 231–240, 2009.
- O. Nummela, T. T. Sulander, H. S. Heinonen, and A. K. Uutela, “Self-rated health and indicators of SES among the ageing in three types of communities,” Scandinavian Journal of Public Health, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 39–47, 2007.
- C. A. Cott, M. A. M. Gignac, and E. M. Badley, “Determinants of self rated health for Canadians with chronic disease and disability,” Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, vol. 53, no. 11, pp. 731–736, 1999.