- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Current Gerontology and Geriatrics Research
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 171857, 5 pages
The Validity of the WHO-5 as an Early Screening for Apathy in an Elderly Population
1Department of Methodology and Behavioral Sciences, University of Barcelona, SGR 822 Generalitat de Catalunya, 08035 Barcelona, Spain
2Department of Education, Aarhus University, Campus Emdrup, 2400 København, NV, Denmark
3University of Copenhagen, Psychiatric Research Unit, Mental Health Centre North Zealand, Dyrehavevej 48, 3400 Hillerød, Denmark
Received 20 February 2012; Revised 8 May 2012; Accepted 14 June 2012
Academic Editor: Iracema Leroi
Copyright © 2012 Ramona Lucas-Carrasco et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. E. Berrios and M. Gili, “Abulia and impulsiveness revisited: a conceptual history,” Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, vol. 92, no. 3, pp. 161–167, 1995.
- P. Bech, “Depressed mood as a core symptom of depression,” Medicographia, vol. 30, pp. 9–13, 2008.
- J. A. Yesavage, T. L. Brink, T. L. Rose, et al., “Development and validation of a geriatric depression screening scale: a preliminary report,” Journal of Psychiatric Research, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 37–49, 1982.
- S. K. Weeks, P. E. McGann, T. K. Michaels, and B. W. J. H. Penninx, “Comparing various short-form geriatric depression scales leads to the GDS-5/15,” Journal of Nursing Scholarship, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 133–137, 2003.
- R. S. Marin, R. C. Biedrzycki, and S. Firinciogullari, “Reliability and validity of the apathy evaluation scale,” Psychiatry Research, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 143–162, 1991.
- A. R. Feinstein, “A critical overview of diagnosis in psychiatry,” in Psychiatric Diagnosis, V. M. Radkoff, H. C. Stancer, and H. B. Kedward, Eds., pp. 189–206, Bruner Mazel, New York, NY, USA, 1977.
- A. R. Feinstein, Clinimetrics, Yale University Press, New Haven, Conn, USA, 1987.
- P. Bech, Clinical Psychometrics, Wiley Blackwell, Oxford, UK, 2012.
- H. J. Eysenck and S. B. G. Eysenck, Psychoticism as a Dimension of Personality, Hodder and Stoughton, London, UK, 1976.
- T. Hall, G. L. Krahn, W. Horner-Johnson, G. Lamb, and Rehabilitation Research and Training Center Expert Panel on Health Measurement, “Examining functional content in widely used health-related quality of life scales,” Rehabilitation Psychology, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 94–99, 2011.
- P. Bech, L. R. Olsen, M. Kjoller, and N. K. Rasmussen, “Measuring well-being rather than the absence of distress symptoms: a comparison of the SF-36 mental health subscale and the WHO-five well-being scale,” International Journal of Methods in Psychiatric Research, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 85–91, 2003.
- J. Martínez de la Iglesia, M. C. Onís Vilches, R. Dueñas Herrero, C. Aguado Taberné, C. A. Colomer, and M. C. Arias Blanco, “Abreviar lo breve. Aproximación a versiones ultracortes del cuestionario de Yesavage para el cribado de la depresión,” Atencion Primaria, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 14–21, 2005.
- G. Rasch, Probabilistic Models for Some Intelligence and Attainment Tests, The University of Chicago Press, Chicago, Ill, USA, 1980, Expanded edition.
- R. J. Mokken, Theory and Practice of Scale Analysis, Mouton, Berlin, Germany, 1971.
- R. W. Licht, S. Qvitzau, P. Allerup, and P. Bech, “Validation of the Bech-Rafaelsen Melancholia Scale and the Hamilton Depression Scale in patients with major depression; is the total score a valid measure of illness severity?” Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, vol. 111, no. 2, pp. 144–149, 2005.
- L. Guttman, “The basis for scalogram analysis,” in Measurement and Prediction. Studies in Social Psychology in World War II, S. A. Stouffer, L. Guttman, E. A. Suchman, P. F. Lazarsfeld, S. A. Star, and J. A. Clausen, Eds., pp. 271–272, Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, USA, 1950.
- D. Andrich, Rasch Models for Measurement, Sage, Beverly Hills, Calif, USA, 1988.
- P. Allerup, “Statistical analyses of data from the iEA reading literacy study,” in Applications of Latent Trait and Latent Class Models in the Social Sciences, J. Rost and R. Langeheine, Eds., pp. 50–59, Waxmann, New York, NY, USA, 1997.
- D. Andrich, B. E. Sheridan, and G. Luo, RUMM2030. Version 5.1, RUMM Laboratory Pty, Perth WA, Australia, 2010.
- J. Bent-Hansen and P. Bech, “Validity of the definite and semidefinite questionnaire version of the hamilton depression scale, the hamilton subscale and the melancholia scale. Part I,” European Archives of Psychiatry and Clinical Neuroscience, vol. 261, no. 1, pp. 37–46, 2011.
- I. W. Molenaar, P. Debels, and K. Sijtsna, User's Manual MSP, a Program for Mokken Scale Analyses for Polytomous Items (Version 3.0), ProGAMMA, Groeningen, The Netherlands, 1994.
- R. S. Marin, S. Firinciogullari, and R. C. Biedrzycki, “The sources of convergence between measures of apathy and depression,” Journal of Affective Disorders, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 117–124, 1993.
- S. A. Montgomery and M. Asberg, “A new depression scale designed to be sensitive to change,” British Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 134, no. 4, pp. 382–389, 1979.
- A. T. Beck, C. H. Ward, M. Mendelson, J. Mock, and J. Erbaugh, “An inventory for measuring depression,” Archives of General Psychiatry, vol. 4, pp. 561–571, 1961.
- R. S. Marin, B. S. Fogel, J. Hawkins, J. Duffy, and B. Krupp, “Apathy: a treatable syndrome,” Journal of Neuropsychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 23–30, 1995.
- P. Ackroyd, T.S. Eliot, Hamish Hamilton, London, UK, 1984.
- C. B. Schneider, M. Pilhatsch, M. Rifati et al., “Utility of the WHO-five well-being Index as a screening tool for depression in Parkinson's disease,” Movement Disorders, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 769–775, 2010.
- P. Bech and L. Wermuth, “Applicability and validity of the major depression inventory in patients with Parkinson's disease,” Nordic Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 305–309, 1998.