- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Current Gerontology and Geriatrics Research
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 179150, 8 pages
Associations of Education Level and Bone Density Tests among Cognitively Intact Elderly White Women in Managed Medicare
1School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, University at Buffalo, 131 Biomedical Education Building, Buffalo, NY 14214, USA
2Division of Infectious Diseases, Columbia University Medical Center, PH8-876, 630 w168th Street, New York, NY 10032, USA
3Department of Epidemiology and Community Health, School of Health Sciences and Practice, New York Medical College, Valhalla, New York, NY 10595, USA
4Department of Statistics and Institute for Health, Health Care Policy and Aging Research, Rutgers University, 110 Frelinghuysen Road, Room 473, Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA
Received 4 June 2012; Accepted 8 August 2012
Academic Editor: Francesc Formiga
Copyright © 2012 Di Shi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Christensen, R. Mogelvang, M. Heitmann, and E. Prescott, “Level of education and risk of heart failure: a prospective cohort study with echocardiography evaluation,” European Heart Journal, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 450–458, 2011.
- N. Auger, P. Gamache, J. Adam-Smith, and S. Harper, “Relative and absolute disparities in preterm birth related to neighborhood education,” Annals of Epidemiology, vol. 21, no. 7, pp. 481–488, 2011.
- V. M. Shkolnikov, E. M. Andreev, D. A. Jdanov et al., “Increasing absolute mortality disparities by education in Finland, Norway and Sweden, 1971–2000,” Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, vol. 66, no. 4, pp. 372–378, 2012.
- D. Goldman and J. P. Smith, “The increasing value of education to health,” Social Science and Medicine, vol. 72, no. 10, pp. 1728–1737, 2011.
- M. S. Wu, T. H. Lan, C. M. Chen, H. C. Chiu, and T. Y. Lan, “Socio-demographic and health-related factors associated with cognitive impairment in the elderly in Taiwan,” BMC Public Health, vol. 11, article 22, 2011.
- K. Fiscella, M. A. Goodwin, and K. C. Stange, “Does patient educational level affect office visits to family physicians?” Journal of the National Medical Association, vol. 94, no. 3, pp. 157–165, 2002.
- L. M. G. Paskulin, D. B. Valer, and L. A. C. Vianna, “Use and access of the elderly to primary health care services in Porto Alegre (RS, Brasil),” Ciencia e Saude Coletiva, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 2935–2944, 2011.
- S. Dias, A. Gama, M. Severo, and H. Barros, “Factors associated with HIV testing among immigrants in Portugal,” International Journal of Public Health, vol. 56, no. 5, pp. 559–566, 2011.
- R. Burge, B. Dawson-Hughes, D. H. Solomon, J. B. Wong, A. King, and A. Tosteson, “Incidence and economic burden of osteoporosis-related fractures in the United States, 2005–2025,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 465–475, 2007.
- J. R. Curtis, L. A. McClure, E. Delzell et al., “Population-based fracture risk assessment and osteoporosis treatment disparities by race and gender,” Journal of General Internal Medicine, vol. 24, no. 8, pp. 956–962, 2009.
- N. Walker, R. Norton, S. V. Hoorn et al., “Mortality after hip fracture: regional variations in New Zealand,” New Zealand Medical Journal, vol. 112, no. 1092, pp. 269–271, 1999.
- Office of the Surgeon General (US), 2004.
- G. Guglielmi and G. Scalzo, “Imaging tools transform diagnosis of osteoporosis,” 2010, http://www.diagnosticimaging.com/display/article/113619/1565165.
- D. Stacy, S. Alok, G. Bruce, et al., “Approved treatments for osteoporosis and what’s in the pipeline,” 2010, http://dbt.consultantlive.com/display/article/1145628/1583209.
- E. McCloskey, “Care of the elderly: preventing osteoporotic fractures in older people,” Practitioner, vol. 255, no. 1736, pp. 19–22, 2011.
- A. Sachdeva, B. E. Goeckeritz, and A. M. Oliver, “Symptomatic hypercalcemia in a patient with chronic tophaceous gout: a case report,” Cases Journal, vol. 1, no. 1, p. 72, 2008.
- B. M. Tang, G. D. Eslick, C. Nowson, C. Smith, and A. Bensoussan, “Use of calcium or calcium in combination with vitamin D supplementation to prevent fractures and bone loss in people aged 50 years and older: a meta-analysis,” Lancet, vol. 370, no. 9588, pp. 657–666, 2007.
- B. L. Riggs and L. J. Melton III, “The prevention and treatment of osteoporosis,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 327, no. 9, pp. 620–627, 1992.
- Health Service Advisory Group, “Cohort 9 baseline public use file: data user's guide,” 2008, http://www.hosonline.org/surveys/hos/download/HOS_DUG_PUF_C9B.pdf.
- Health Service Advisory Group, “Cohort 10 baseline public use file: data user's guide,” 2008, http://www.hosonline.org/surveys/hos/download/HOS_DUG_PUF_C10B.pdf.
- Health Service Advisory Group, “Cohort 11 baseline public use file: data user's guide,” 2009, http://www.hosonline.org/surveys/hos/download/HOS_DUG_PUF_C11B.pdf.
- Health Service Advisory Group, “Cohort 12 baseline public use file: data user's guide,” 2010, http://www.hosonline.org/surveys/hos/download/HOS_DUG_PUF_C12B.pdf.
- K. Asomaning, E. R. Bertone-Johnson, P. C. Nasca, F. Hooven, and P. S. Pekow, “The association between body mass index and osteoporosis in patients referred for a bone mineral density examination,” Journal of Women's Health, vol. 15, no. 9, pp. 1028–1034, 2006.
- J. M. Neuner, X. Zhang, R. Sparapani, P. W. Laud, and A. B. Nattinger, “Racial and socioeconomic disparities in bone density testing before and after hip fracture,” Journal of General Internal Medicine, vol. 22, no. 9, pp. 1239–1245, 2007.
- T. D. Denberg, B. A. Myers, C. T. Lin et al., “An outreach intervention increases bone densitometry testing in older women,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 341–347, 2009.
- B. T. Levy, A. Hartz, G. Woodworth, Y. Xu, and S. Sinift, “Interventions to improving osteoporosis screening: an Iowa Research Network (IRENE) study,” Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 360–367, 2009.