- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Current Gerontology and Geriatrics Research
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 257186, 10 pages
Mobility and Active Ageing in Suburban Environments: Findings from In-Depth Interviews and Person-Based GPS Tracking
School of Design, Faculty of Creative Industries, Queensland University of Technology, Gardens Point Campus, 2 George Street, GPO Box 2434, Brisbane, QLD 4000, Australia
Received 4 May 2012; Revised 19 October 2012; Accepted 2 November 2012
Academic Editor: Alan Walker
Copyright © 2012 Elisabeth Zeitler et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics, Population projections, Australia, 2004 to 2101, Reissue, Canberra, Commonwealth of Australia, 2006, http://www.ausstats.abs.gov.au/ausstats/subscriber.nsf/0/73D26920772F929ECA25718C001518FB/$File/32220_2004%20to%202101reissue.pdf.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics, Older people, Australia: A social report, Canberra, Australia, Australian Bureau of Statistics, 1999, http://www.ausstats.abs.gov.au/ausstats/subscriber.nsf/0/CA25687100069892CA256889000D50C1/$File/41090_1999.pdf.
- B. Randolph, “Delivering the compact city in Australia: current trends and future implications,” Urban Policy and Research, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 473–490, 2006.
- D. Olsberg and M. Winters, Ageing in place: intergenerational and intrafamilial housing transfers and shifts in later life, Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute, 2005, http://www.ahuri.edu.au/publications/projects/p70223.
- M. Bartley and D. O'Neill, “Transportation and driving in longitudinal studies on ageing,” Age and Ageing, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 631–636, 2010.
- H. Mollenkopf, A. Hieber, and H.-W. Wahl, “Continuity and change in older adults' perceptions of out-of-home mobility over ten years: a qualitative-quantitative approach,” Ageing and Society, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 782–802, 2011.
- World Health Organization, Active Ageing: A Policy Framework, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, 2002.
- A. Walker, “A strategy for active ageing,” International Social Security Review, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 121–139, 2002.
- World Health Organization, Global Age-Friendly Cities: A Guide, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, 2007.
- D. Alley, P. Liebig, J. Pynoos, T. Banerjee, and I. H. Choi, “Creating elder-friendly communities,” Journal of Gerontological Social Work, vol. 49, no. 1-2, pp. 1–18, 2007.
- A. Bowling and M. Stafford, “How do objective and subjective assessments of neighbourhood influence social and physical functioning in older age? Findings from a British survey of ageing,” Social Science and Medicine, vol. 64, no. 12, pp. 2533–2549, 2007.
- Y. L. Michael, M. K. Green, and S. A. Farquhar, “Neighborhood design and active aging,” Health & Place, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 734–740, 2006.
- F. Li, K. J. Fisher, R. C. Brownson, and M. Bosworth, “Multilevel modelling of built environment characteristics related to neighbourhood walking activity in older adults,” Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, vol. 59, no. 7, pp. 558–564, 2005.
- K. Broome, L. Worrall, K. McKenna, and D. Boldy, “Priorities for an age-friendly bus system,” Canadian Journal on Aging, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 435–444, 2010.
- T. Raitanen, T. Törmäkangas, H. Mollenkopf, and F. Marcellini, “Why do older drivers reduce driving? Findings from three European countries,” Transportation Research F, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 81–95, 2003.
- A. L. Rosso, A. H. Auchincloss, and Y. L. Michael, “The urban built environment and mobility in older adults: a comprehensive review,” Journal of Aging Research, vol. 2011, Article ID 816106, 10 pages, 2011.
- H.-W. Wahl, S. Iwarsson, and F. Oswald, “Aging well and the environment: toward an integrative model and research agenda for the future,” The Gerontologist, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 306–316, 2012.
- M. P. Lawton and L. Nahemow, “Ecology and the aging process,” in The Psychology of Adult Development and Aging, C. Eisdorfer and M. P. Lawton, Eds., pp. 619–674, American Psychological Association, Washington, DC, USA, 1973.
- S. C. Webber, M. M. Porter, and V. H. Menec, “Mobility in older adults: a comprehensive framework,” The Gerontologist, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 443–450, 2010.
- H. Mollenkopf, F. Marcellini, I. Ruoppila, Z. Széman, M. Tacken, and H.-W. Wahl, “Social and behavioural science perspectives on out-of-home mobility in later life: findings from the European project MOBILATE,” European Journal of Ageing, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 45–53, 2004.
- SIZE Consortium, SIZE—Life quality for senior citizens in relation to mobility conditions, 2006, http://www.size-project.at/index.htm.
- S. Rosenbloom, The mobility needs of older Armericans: Implications for transportation reauthorization, 2003, http://www.brookings.edu/reports/2003/07transportation_rosenbloom.aspx.
- S. Rosenbloom, “Mobility of the elderly: good news and bad news,” in Transporation in an Aging Society: A Decade of Experience Conference, A. J. Clarke, K. M. Sawyer, and N. Solomon, Eds., vol. 27 of TRB Conference Proceedings, pp. 3–21, Transportation Research Board, Washington, DC, USA, November 1999.
- S. Lord and N. Luxembourg, “The mobility of elderly residents living in suburban territories,” Journal of Housing for the Elderly, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 103–121, 2006.
- S. Lord, C. Després, and T. Ramadier, “When mobility makes sense: a qualitative and longitudinal study of the daily mobility of the elderly,” Journal of Environmental Psychology, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 52–61, 2011.
- S. Lord, F. Joerin, and M. Thériault, “Daily mobility of aging and elderly suburbanites: trips, aspirations and meanings of mobility,” Canadian Geographer, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 357–375, 2009.
- The population experts, Welcome to Brisbane LGA community profile, Collingwood, Victoria, Australia, 2011, http://profile.id.com.au/Default.aspx?id=327&pg=260&gid=1090&type=enum.
- TransSystem Inc., GPS Trip Recorder, Model: 747A+, TranSystem Inc., Hsinchu, Taiwan, 2010, http://www.transystem.com.tw.
- Google, Google Earth 5.0, Google Inc., 2010, http://earth.google.com/intl/en/download-earth.html.
- Real Estate Institute Queensland, reiq.com, 2012, http://www.reiq.com/.
- TransLink Transit Authority, TransLink, Brisbane, Australia, 2012, http://translink.com.au/.
- S. Rosenbloom, “Sustainability and automobility among the elderly: an international assessment,” Transportation, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 375–408, 2001.
- S. Rosenbloom, “Meeting transportation needs in an aging-friendly community,” Generations, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 33–43, 2009.
- S. Lord and C. Després, “Ageing in a North American suburb: how older people relate to the town,” Gerontologie et Societe, vol. 136, no. 1, pp. 189–204, 2011.