- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Current Gerontology and Geriatrics Research
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 308109, 5 pages
Acquired Inhibitors: A Special Case of Bleeding in Older Adults
Department of Health Policy & Public Health, University of the Sciences in Philadelphia, 600 South 43rd Street,
Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Received 30 March 2012; Accepted 1 November 2012
Academic Editor: Francesc Formiga
Copyright © 2012 Richard G. Stefanacci. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Tufano, A. Coppola, A. Guida et al., “Acquired haemophilia A in the elderly: case reports,” Current Gerontology and Geriatrics Research, vol. 2010, Article ID 927503, 5 pages, 2010.
- S. Woods and B. Varghese, “Acquired hemophilia A presenting in an elderly man,” Canadian Medical Association Journal, vol. 177, no. 4, pp. 341–342, 2007.
- R. L. Barkin, M. Beckerman, S. L. Blum, F. M. Clark, E. K. Koh, and D. S. Wu, “Should nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) be prescribed to the older adult?” Drugs and Aging, vol. 27, no. 10, pp. 775–789, 2010.
- M. L. Brigden, “When bleeding complicates oral anticoagulant therapy: how to anticipate, investigate, and treat,” Postgraduate Medicine, vol. 98, no. 3, pp. 153–165, 1995.
- M. Buffum and J. C. Buffum, “Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs in the elderly,” Pain Management Nursing, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 40–50, 2000.
- G. Denas, F. Marzot, P. Offelli et al., “Effectiveness and safety of a management protocol to correct over-anticoagulation with oral vitamin K: a retrospective study of 1,043 cases,” Journal of Thrombosis and Thrombolysis, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 340–347, 2009.
- G. R. V. Hughes, “The problems of using NSAIDs in the elderly,” Scandinavian Journal of Rheumatology, Supplement, vol. 20, no. 91, pp. 19–25, 1991.
- D. G. Love, “Management of hemorrhagic events in patients receiving anticoagulant therapy,” Journal of Thrombosis and Thrombolysis, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 149–152, 1999.
- M. E. Weinblatt, “Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug toxicity: increased risk in the elderly,” Scandinavian Journal of Rheumatology, Supplement, vol. 20, no. 91, pp. 9–17, 1991.
- M. Franchini and G. Lippi, “Acquired factor VIII inhibitors,” Blood, vol. 112, no. 2, pp. 250–255, 2008.
- A. Huth-Kühne, F. Baudo, P. Collins et al., “International recommendations on the diagnosis and treatment of patients with acquired hemophilia A,” Haematologica, vol. 94, no. 4, pp. 566–575, 2009.
- R. L. Bitting, S. Bent, Y. Li, and J. Kohlwes, “The prognosis and treatment of acquired hemophilia: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” Blood Coagulation and Fibrinolysis, vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 517–523, 2009.
- P. Collins, F. Baudo, A. Huth-Kühne et al., “Consensus recommendations for the diagnosis and treatment of acquired hemophilia A,” BMC Research Notes, vol. 3, article 161, 2010.
- F. Baudo and F. de Cataldo, “Acquired hemophilia in the elderly,” in Blood Disorders in the Elderly, L. Balducci, W. B. Ershler, and G. de Gaetano, Eds., pp. 387–405, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 2008.
- H. Zeitler, G. Ulrich-Merzenich, G. Goldmann, N. Vidovic, H. H. Brackmann, and J. Oldenburg, “The relevance of the bleeding severity in the treatment of acquired haemophilia—an update of a single-centre experience with 67 patients,” Haemophilia, vol. 16, no. 102, pp. 95–101, 2010.
- A. L. Jones, L. L. Dwyer, A. R. Bercovitz, and G. W. Strahan, “The national nursing home survey: 2004 overview,” Vital and Health Statistics, vol. 13, no. 167, pp. 1–155, 2009.
- E. Pautas, I. Gouin-Thibault, M. Debray, P. Gaussem, and V. Siguret, “Haemorrhagic complications of vitamin K antagonists in the elderly: risk factors and management,” Drugs and Aging, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 13–25, 2006.
- M. M. Levi, E. Eerenberg, E. Löwenberg, and P. W. Kamphuisen, “Bleeding in patients using new anticoagulants or antiplatelet agents: risk factors and management,” Netherlands Journal of Medicine, vol. 68, no. 2, pp. 68–76, 2010.
- D. S. Budnitz, D. A. Pollock, K. N. Weidenbach, A. B. Mendelsohn, T. J. Schroeder, and J. L. Annest, “National surveillance of emergency department visits for outpatient adverse drug events,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 296, no. 15, pp. 1858–1866, 2006.
- A. Pilotto, M. Franceschi, S. Maggi, et al., “Optimal management of peptic ulcer disease in the elderly,” Drugs and Aging, vol. 27, no. 7, pp. 545–558, 2010.
- S. Shetty, M. Bhave, and K. Ghosh, “Acquired hemophilia A: diagnosis, aetiology, clinical spectrum and treatment options,” Autoimmunity Reviews, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 311–316, 2011.
- M. Franchini, G. Gandini, T. Di Paolantonio, and G. Mariani, “Acquired hemophilia A: a concise review,” American Journal of Hematology, vol. 80, no. 1, pp. 55–63, 2005.
- P. Knoebl, F. Baudo, P. W. Collins, et al., “Management of bleeding in acquired haemophilia: results of the European acquired haemophilia registry (EACH2),” Blood, vol. 116, p. 716, 2010, ASH Annual Meeting Abstracts.
- P. W. Collins, S. Hirsch, T. P. Baglin et al., “Acquired hemophilia A in the United Kingdom: a 2-year national surveillance study by the United Kingdom Haemophilia Centre Doctors' organisation,” Blood, vol. 109, no. 5, pp. 1870–1877, 2007.
- S. Girault, K. Ly, A. Jaccard et al., “Prognosis of acquired hemophilia in older people,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 56, no. 5, pp. 956–958, 2008.
- O. Lambotte, J. Dautremer, B. Guillet et al., “Acquired hemophilia in older people: a poor prognosis despite intensive care,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 55, no. 10, pp. 1682–1685, 2007.
- A. D. Ma and D. Carrizosa, “Acquired factor VIII inhibitors: pathophysiology and treatment,” in Hematology American Society of Hematology Education Program Book, pp. 432–437, 2006.
- R. T. NovoSeven, [Coagulation Factor VIIa (Recombinant) Room Temperature] [Package Insert], Novo Nordisk A/S, Bagsvaerd, Denmark, 2010.
- N. F. FEIBA, (Anti-Inhibitor Coagulant Complex) Nanofiltered and Vapor Heated [Package Insert], Baxter Healthcare Corporation, Westlake Village, Calif, USA, 2011.
- N. Ishikawa, K. Furukawa, K. Yokoi et al., “Mild hemophilia A diagnosed in a 55-year-old patient after pancreatoduodenectomy for carcinoma of the papilla of vater,” Journal of Nippon Medical School, vol. 74, no. 5, pp. 372–376, 2007.
- M. Franchini, E. J. Favaloro, and G. Lippi, “Mild hemophilia A,” Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 421–432, 2010.
- S. Kumar, R. K. Pruthi, and W. L. Nichols, “Acquired von Willebrand disease,” Mayo Clinic Proceedings, vol. 77, no. 2, pp. 181–187, 2002.
- N. Afdhal, J. McHutchison, R. Brown et al., “Thrombocytopenia associated with chronic liver disease,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 48, no. 6, pp. 1000–1007, 2008.
- Y. M. P. Shen and E. P. Frenkel, “Acquired platelet dysfunction,” Hematology/Oncology Clinics of North America, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 647–661, 2007.
- G. Escolar, M. Díaz-Ricart, and A. Cases, “Uremic platelet dysfunction: past and present,” Current Hematology Reports, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 359–367, 2005.
- D. A. Triplett, “Lupus anticoagulants: diagnostic dilemma and clinical challenge,” Clinical Laboratory Science, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 223–228, 1997.
- M. Lao, S. Setty, and C. Foss, “Antiphospholipid antibody syndrome. A literature review,” Minnesota Medicine, vol. 84, no. 4, pp. 42–46, 2001.