- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Current Gerontology and Geriatrics Research
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 420637, 7 pages
The Theory and Practice of Active Aging
Department of Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, 1000 Welch Road, Suite 203, Palo Alto, CA 94304, USA
Received 17 April 2012; Revised 18 September 2012; Accepted 1 October 2012
Academic Editor: Alan Walker
Copyright © 2012 James F. Fries. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. F. Fries, “Aging, natural death, and the compression of morbidity,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 303, no. 3, pp. 130–135, 1980.
- E. M. Gruenberg, “The failures of success,” Milbank Memorial Fund Quarterly, Health and Society, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 3–24, 1977.
- J. F. Fries, P. Spitz, R. G. Kraines, and H. R. Holman, “Measurement of patient outcome in arthritis,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 137–145, 1980.
- M. Rose, J. B. Bjorner, J. Becker, J. F. Fries, and J. E. Ware, “Evaluation of a preliminary physical function item bank supported the expected advantages of the Patient-Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System (PROMIS),” Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 17–33, 2008.
- B. Bruce and J. F. Fries, “The Stanford Health Assessment Questionnaire: a review of its history, issues, progress, and documentation,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 167–178, 2003.
- J. F. Fries and L. M. Crapo, Vitality and Aging, W. H. Freeman and Co., San Francisco, Calif, USA, 1981.
- J. W. Rowe and R. L. Kahn, “Human aging: usual and successful,” Science, vol. 237, no. 4811, pp. 143–149, 1987.
- J. W. Rowe and R. L. Kahn, “Successful aging,” Gerontologist, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 433–440, 1997.
- E. L. Schneider and J. A. Brody, “Aging, natural death, and the compression of morbidity: another view,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 309, no. 14, pp. 854–856, 1983.
- G. C. Myers and K. G. Manton, “Compression of mortality: myth or reality?” Gerontologist, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 346–353, 1984.
- S. G. Aldana, “Financial impact of worksite health promotion and methodological quality of the evidence,” Art Health Promotion, vol. 2, pp. 1–8, 1998.
- J. Lubitz, L. Cai, E. Kramarow, and H. Lentzner, “Health, life expectancy, and health care spending among the elderly,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 349, no. 11, pp. 1048–1055, 2003.
- S. L. Andersen, P. Sebastiani, D. A. Dworkis, L. Feldman, and T. T. Perls, “Health span approximates life span among many supercentenarians: compression of morbidity at the approximate limit of life span,” Journals of Gerontology—Series A, vol. 67 A, no. 4, pp. 395–405, 2012.
- A. M. Jette, M. Lachman, M. M. Giorgetti et al., “Exercise—It's never too late: the strong-for-life program,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 89, no. 1, pp. 66–72, 1999.
- M. E. Nelson, W. J. Rejeski, S. N. Blair et al., “Physical activity and public health in older adults: recommendation from the American College of Sports Medicine and the American Heart Association,” Circulation, vol. 116, no. 9, pp. 1094–1105, 2007.
- D. M. Cutler, “Disability and the future of Medicare,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 349, no. 11, pp. 1084–1085, 2003.
- W. L. Haskell, I. M. Lee, R. R. Pate et al., “Physical activity and public health: updated recommendation for adults from the American College of Sports Medicine and the American Heart Association,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 39, no. 8, pp. 1423–1434, 2007.
- E. F. Chakravarty, H. B. Hubert, V. B. Lingala, and J. F. Fries, “Reduced disability and mortality among aging runners: a 21-year longitudinal study,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 168, no. 15, pp. 1638–1646, 2008.
- E. F. Chakravarty, H. B. Hubert, V. B. Lingala, E. Zatarain, and J. F. Fries, “Long distance running and knee osteoarthritis,” American Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 133–138, 2008.
- B. W. E. Wang, D. R. Ramey, J. D. Schettler, H. B. Hubert, and J. F. Fries, “Postponed development of disability in elderly runners: a 13-year longitudinal study,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 162, no. 20, pp. 2285–2294, 2002.
- J. F. Fries, B. Bruce, and E. Chakravarty, “Compression of Morbidity 1980–2011: a focused review of paradigms and progress,” Journal of Aging Research, vol. 2011, Article ID 261702, 10 pages, 2011.
- H. B. Hubert and J. F. Fries, “Predictors of physical disability after age 50: six-year longitudinal study in a runners club and a university population,” Annals of Epidemiology, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 285–294, 1994.
- A. J. Vita, R. B. Terry, H. B. Hubert, and J. F. Fries, “Aging, health risks, and cumulative disability,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 338, no. 15, pp. 1035–1041, 1998.
- K. G. Manton and X. Gu, “Changes in the prevalence of chronic disability in the United States black and nonblack population above age 65 from 1982 to 1999,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 98, no. 11, pp. 6354–6359, 2001.
- K. G. Manton, X. Gu, and V. L. Lamb, “Change in chronic disability from 1982 to 2004/2005 as measured by long-term changes in function and health in the U.S. elderly population,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 103, no. 48, pp. 18374–18379, 2006.
- V. A. Freedman, L. G. Martin, and R. F. Schoeni, “Recent trends in disability and functioning among older adults in the United States: a systematic review,” JAMA, vol. 288, no. 24, pp. 3137–3146, 2002.
- T. E. Seeman, S. S. Merkin, E. M. Crimmins, and A. S. Karlamangla, “Disability trends among older Americans: National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys, 1988–1994 and 1999–2004,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 100, no. 1, pp. 100–107, 2010.
- Health United States, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, National Center for Health Statistics, Hyattsville, Md, USA, 2009.
- V. A. Freedman, E. Crimmins, R. F. Schoeni et al., “Resolving inconsistencies in trends in old-age disability: report from a technical working group,” Demography, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 417–441, 2004.
- B. H. Singer and K. G. Manton, “The effects of health changes on projections of health service needs for the elderly population of the United States,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 95, no. 26, pp. 15618–15622, 1998.
- J. F. Fries, “Reducing disability in older age,” JAMA, vol. 288, no. 24, pp. 3164–3166, 2002.
- J. F. Fries, D. A. Bloch, H. Harrington, N. Richardson, and R. Beck, “Two-year results of a randomized controlled trial of a health promotion program in a retiree population: the Bank of America study,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 94, no. 5, pp. 455–462, 1993.
- J. F. Fries, C. E. Koop, C. E. Beadle et al., “Reducing health care costs by reducing the need and demand for medical services,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 329, no. 5, pp. 321–325, 1993.
- J. F. Fries, C. Everett Koop, J. Sokolov, C. E. Beadle, and D. Wright, “Beyond health promotion: reducing need and demand for medical care,” Health Affairs, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 70–84, 1998.
- P. Shekelle, Evidence Report and Evidence-Based Recommendations: Health Risk Appraisals and Medicare, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, Baltimore, Md, USA, 2003.
- T. M. Gill, E. A. Gahbauer, L. Han, and H. G. Allore, “Trajectories of disability in the last year of life,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 362, no. 13, pp. 1173–1180, 2010.
- J. M. Guralnik, A. Z. LaCroix, L. G. Branch, S. V. Kasl, and R. B. Wallace, “Morbidity and disability in older persons in the years prior to death,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 81, no. 4, pp. 443–447, 1991.