- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Current Gerontology and Geriatrics Research
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 516283, 6 pages
Changes in the Equilibrium of Standing on One Leg at Various Life Stages
1Department of Neurorehabilitation, Graduate School of Health Science, Kio University, 4-2-2 Umaminaka,
Koryo, Kitakatsuragigun, Nara 635-0832, Japan
2Department of Physical Therapy, Faculty of Health Science, Kio University, 4-2-2 Umaminaka, Koryo, Kitakatsuragigun, Nara 635-0832, Japan
3Department of Physical Therapy, Tosa Rehabilitation College, 2500-2 Otsu-otsu, Kochi 781-5103, Japan
Received 1 February 2012; Revised 4 June 2012; Accepted 20 June 2012
Academic Editor: Fulvio Lauretani
Copyright © 2012 Shu Morioka et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. J. Sparto, M. S. Redfern, J. G. Jasko, M. L. Casselbrant, E. M. Mandel, and J. M. Furman, “The influence of dynamic visual cues for postural control in children aged 7-12 years,” Experimental Brain Research, vol. 168, no. 4, pp. 505–516, 2006.
- J. A. Barela, J. J. Jeka, and J. E. Clark, “Postural control in children: coupling to dynamic somatosensory information,” Experimental Brain Research, vol. 150, no. 4, pp. 434–442, 2003.
- H. Forssberg and L. M. Nashner, “Ontogenetic development of postural control in man: adaptation to altered support and visual conditions during stance,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 545–552, 1982.
- A. Shumway-Cook and M. H. Woollacott, “The growth of stability: postural control from a developmental perspective,” Journal of Motor Behavior, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 131–147, 1985.
- K. Taguchi and C. Tada, “Change of body sway with group of children,” in Posture and Gait: Development Adaptation and Modulation, B. Amblard, et al., Ed., pp. 59–65, Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1988.
- A. Shumway-Cook and M. H. Woollacott, Motor Control: Theory and Practical Applications, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2001.
- B. A. Foudriat, R. P. Di Fabio, and J. H. Anderson, “Sensory organization of balance responses in children 3-6 years of age: a normative study with diagnostic implications,” International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 255–271, 1993.
- S. Morioka, “Changes in the ability to stand on one leg in children from babyhood to school age,” Rigakuryohogaku, vol. 28, pp. 325–328, 2001.
- L. I. Wolfson, R. Whipple, and P. Amerman, “Gait and balance in the elderly. Two functional capacities that link sensory and motor ability to falls,” Clinics in Geriatric Medicine, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 649–660, 1985.
- F. B. Horak, C. L. Shupert, and A. Mirka, “Review. Components of postural dyscontrol in the elderly: a review,” Neurobiology of Aging, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 727–738, 1989.
- R. J. Peterka and F. O. Black, “Age-related changes in human posture control: sensory organization tests,” Journal of Vestibular Research, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 73–85, 1990.
- I. Poulain and G. Giraudet, “Age-related changes of visual contribution in posture control,” Gait and Posture, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 1–7, 2008.
- N. Teasdale, G. E. Stelmach, and A. Breunig, “Postural sway characteristics of the elderly under normal and altered visual and support surface conditions,” Journals of Gerontology, vol. 46, no. 6, pp. B238–B244, 1991.
- M. H. Woollacott, A. Shumway-Cook, and L. M. Nashner, “Aging and posture control: changes in sensory organization and muscular coordination,” International Journal of Aging and Human Development, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 97–114, 1986.
- N. Benjuya, I. Melzer, and J. Kaplanski, “Aging-induced shifts from a reliance on sensory input to muscle cocontraction during balanced standing,” Journals of Gerontology—Series A, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 166–171, 2004.
- S. R. Lord and H. B. Menz, “Visual contributions to postural stability in older adults,” Gerontology, vol. 46, no. 6, pp. 306–310, 2000.
- R. W. Bohannon, P. A. Larkin, and A. C. Cook, “Decrease in timed balance test scores in aging,” Physical Therapy, vol. 64, no. 7, pp. 1067–1070, 1984.
- M. H. Woollacott, “Aging, posture control and movement preparation,” in Development of Posture and Gait Across the Life Span, M. H. Woollacott and A. Shumway-Cook, Eds., pp. 155–175, Universty of South Carolina Press, Colombia, SC, USA, 1989.
- S. R. Lord, C. Sherrington, H. Menz, and J. C. T. Close, Falls in Older People: Risk Factors and Strategies for Prevention, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 2nd edition, 2007.
- J. H. Sheldon, “The effect of age on the control of sway,” Gerontologica Clinica, vol. 5, pp. 129–138, 1963.
- J. A. Balogun, K. A. Akindele, J. Nihinlola, and D. K. Marzouk, “Age-related changes in balance performance,” Disability and Rehabilitation, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 58–62, 1994.
- J. A. Balogun, L. O. Ajayi, and F. Alawale, “Determinants of single limb stance balance performance,” African Journal of Medicine and Medical Sciences, vol. 26, no. 3-4, pp. 153–157, 1997.
- R. C. Briggs, M. R. Gossman, R. Birch, J. E. Drews, and S. A. Shaddeau, “Balance performance among noninstitutionalized elderly women,” Physical Therapy, vol. 69, no. 9, pp. 748–756, 1989.
- B. D. Iverson, M. R. Gossman, S. A. Shaddeau, and M. E. Turner, “Balance performance, force production, and activity levels in noninstitutionalized men 60 to 90 years of age,” Physical Therapy, vol. 70, no. 6, pp. 348–355, 1990.
- N. L. Choy, S. Brauer, and J. Nitz, “Changes in postural stability in women aged 20 to 80 years,” Journals of Gerontology—Series A, vol. 58, no. 6, pp. 525–530, 2003.
- R. A. Du Pasquier, Y. Blanc, M. Sinnreich, T. Landis, P. Burkhard, and F. J. G. Vingerhoets, “The effect of aging on postural stability: a cross sectional and longitudinal study,” Neurophysiologie Clinique, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 213–218, 2003.
- A. C. Prioli, P. B. Freitas Júnior, and J. A. Barela, “Physical activity and postural control in the elderly: coupling between visual information and body sway,” Gerontology, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 145–148, 2005.
- D. C. Dickin, L. A. Brown, and J. B. Doan, “Age-dependent differences in the time course of postural control during sensory perturbations,” Aging Clinical and Experimental Research, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 94–99, 2006.