- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Current Gerontology and Geriatrics Research
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 864516, 6 pages
Association between Physical Functionality and Falls Risk in Community-Living Older Adults
1Faculty of Health, University of Canberra, Canberra, ACT 2601, Australia
2Faculty of Applied Science, University of Canberra, Canberra, ACT 2601, Australia
3Centre for Research and Action in Public Health, University of Canberra, Canberra, ACT 2601, Australia
Received 5 June 2012; Revised 1 November 2012; Accepted 6 November 2012
Academic Editor: Fulvio Lauretani
Copyright © 2012 Disa J. Smee et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. M. Gill, C. S. Williams, and M. E. Tinetti, “Assessing risk for the onset of functional dependence among older adults: the role of physical performance,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 43, no. 6, pp. 603–609, 1995.
- M. J. Daley and W. L. Spinks, “Exercise, mobility and aging,” Sports Medicine, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 1–12, 2000.
- P. E. Martin and M. D. Grabiner, “Aging, exercise, and the predisposition to falling,” Journal of Applied Biomechanics, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 52–55, 1999.
- P. Kannus, “Preventing osteoporosis, falls, and fractures among elderly people,” British Medical Journal, vol. 318, no. 7178, pp. 205–206, 1999.
- S. Karinkanta, M. Piirtola, H. Sievänen, K. Uusi-Rasi, and P. Kannus, “Physical therapy approaches to reduce fall and fracture risk among older adults,” Nature Reviews Endocrinology, vol. 6, no. 7, pp. 396–407, 2010.
- L. Z. Rubenstein, “Falls in older people: epidemiology, risk factors and strategies for prevention,” Age and Ageing, vol. 35, supplement 6, pp. ii37–ii41, 2006.
- A. Barnett, B. Smith, S. R. Lord, M. Williams, and A. Baumand, “Community-based group exercise improves balance and reduces falls in at-risk older people: a randomised controlled trial,” Age and Ageing, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 407–414, 2003.
- T. M. Manini and M. Pahor, “Physical activity and maintaining physical function in older adults,” British Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 28–31, 2009.
- K. G. Manton, “A longitudinal study of functional change and mortality in the United States,” Journals of Gerontology, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. S153–S161, 1988.
- C. J. Jones and D. J. Rose, “The field of gerokinesiology,” in Physical Activity Instructions of Older Adults, C. J. Jones and D. J. Rose, Eds., pp. 3–10, Human Kinetics, Champaign, Ill, USA, 2005.
- E. B. John, W. Liu, and R. W. Gregory, “Biomechanics of muscular effort: age-related changes,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 418–425, 2009.
- Y. Hong, J. X. Li, and P. D. Robinson, “Balance control, flexibility, and cardiorespiratory fitness among older Tai Chi practitioners,” British Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 29–34, 2000.
- S. R. Lord, J. A. Ward, P. Williams, and M. Strudwick, “The effect of a 12-month exercise trial on balance, strength, and falls in older women: a randomized controlled trial,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 43, no. 11, pp. 1198–1206, 1995.
- J. L. Fozard, M. Vercruyssen, S. L. Reynolds, P. A. Hancock, and R. E. Quilter, “Age differences and changes in reaction time: the Baltimore longitudinal study of aging,” Journals of Gerontology, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. P179–P189, 1994.
- M. E. Tinetti, M. Speechley, and S. F. Ginter, “Risk factors for falls among elderly persons living in the community,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 319, no. 26, pp. 1701–1707, 1988.
- M. J. Hsu, S. H. Wei, Y. H. Yu, and Y. J. Chang, “Leg stiffness and electromyography of knee extensors/flexors: comparison between older and younger adults during stair descent,” Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 429–435, 2007.
- S. W. Arnett, J. H. Laity, S. K. Agrawal, and M. E. Cress, “Aerobic reserve and physical functional performance in older adults,” Age and Ageing, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 384–389, 2008.
- T. Arai, S. Obuchi, Y. Inaba et al., “The effects of short-term exercise intervention on falls self-efficacy and the relationship between changes in physical function and falls self-efficacy in Japanese older people: a randomized controlled trial,” American Journal of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 86, no. 2, pp. 133–141, 2007.
- P. Capodaglio, M. Capodaglio Edda, M. Facioli, and F. Saibene, “Long-term strength training for community-dwelling people over 75: impact on muscle function, functional ability and life style,” European Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 100, no. 5, pp. 535–542, 2007.
- S. R. Lord, H. B. Menz, and A. Tiedemann, “A physiological profile approach to falls risk assessment and prevention,” Physical Therapy, vol. 83, no. 3, pp. 237–252, 2003.
- M. E. Cress, J. K. Petrella, T. L. Moore, and M. L. Schenkman, “Continuous-scale physical functional performance test: validity, reliability, and sensitivity of data for the short version,” Physical Therapy, vol. 85, no. 4, pp. 323–335, 2005.
- S. R. Lord and D. L. Sturnieks, “The physiology of falling: assessment and prevention strategies for older people,” Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 35–42, 2005.
- J. E. Ware Jr., M. Kosinski, and S. D. Keller, “A 12-item short-form health survey: construction of scales and preliminary tests of reliability and validity,” Medical Care, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 220–233, 1996.
- M. Elaine Cress, D. M. Buchner, K. A. Questad, P. C. Esselman, B. J. DeLateur, and R. S. Schwartz, “Exercise: effects on physical functional performance in independent older adults,” Journals of Gerontology, vol. 54, no. 5, pp. M242–M248, 1999.
- M. E. Cress, D. M. Buchner, K. A. Questad, P. C. Esselman, B. J. DeLateur, and R. S. Schwartz, “Continuous-scale physical functional performance in healthy older adults: a validation study,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 77, no. 12, pp. 1243–1250, 1996.
- JCI, “Standard Abbreviations,” The Journal of Clinical Investigation, 2011, http://www.jci.org/kiosk/publish/abbreviations.
- New South Wales Falls Prevention Baseline Survey: 2009 Report, Sydney, Australia, 2010.
- S. Demura, S. Sato, M. Minami, and K. Kasuga, “Gender and age differences in basic ADL ability on the elderly: comparison between the independent and the dependent elderly,” Journal of Physiological Anthropology and Applied Human Science, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 19–27, 2003.
- A. J. Campbell, J. Reinken, B. C. Allan, and G. S. Martinez, “Falls in old age: a study of frequency and related clinical factors,” Age and Ageing, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 264–270, 1981.
- T. Ikezoe, Y. Asakawa, H. Shima, and N. Ichihashi, “Physical function screening of institutionalized elderly women to predict their risk of falling,” Japanese Journal of Physical Fitness and Sports Medicine, vol. 58, no. 5, pp. 489–498, 2009.
- M. G. Marmot, R. G. Wilkinson, and E. Brunner, Social Determinants of Health, Oxford University Press, New York, NY, USA, 2006.