- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Current Gerontology and Geriatrics Research
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 261819, 17 pages
Active Ageing in CIS Countries: Semantics, Challenges, and Responses
1European Centre for Social Welfare Policy and Research, Berggasse 17, 1090 Vienna, Austria
2Centre for Research on Ageing, Social Sciences, Southampton University, Murray Building, Southampton SO17 1BJ, UK
Received 15 May 2012; Accepted 15 October 2012
Academic Editor: Rocío Fernández-Ballesteros
Copyright © 2013 Alexandre Sidorenko and Asghar Zaidi. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- World Health Organization, Active Ageing: A Policy Framework, World Health Organization, 2002.
- K. Boudiny and D. Mortelmans, “A critical perspective: towards a broader understanding of ‘active ageing’,” Electronic Journal of Applied Psychology, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 8–14, 2011.
- United Nations, Madrid International Plan of Action on Ageing. Report of the Second World Assembly on Ageing. Madrid. 8–12 April 2002, United Nations, New York, NY, USA, 2002.
- OECD, Live Longer, Work Longer, OECD, Paris, Farnce, 2006.
- “European year for active ageing and solidarity between generations,” 2012, http://europa.eu/ey2012/ey2012main.jsp?catId=971&langId=en.
- A. Zaidi, K. Gasior, M. M. Hofmarcher et al., “Towards an active ageing index: concept, methodology and first results,” EC/UNECE, Project: “Active Ageing Index (AAI)” UNECE Grant ECE/GC/2012/003, Vienna, Austria, 2012.
- Eurobarometer, “Special Eurobarometer 378 “Active ageing”,” 2012, http://europa.eu/ey2012/ey2012main.jsp?catId=971&langId=en.
- The Australian Government Department of Health and Ageing by the Healthpact Research Centre for Health Promotion and Wellbeing, A Review of the Literature on Active Ageing, The Australian Government Department of Health and Ageing by the Healthpact Research Centre for Health Promotion and Wellbeing, Canberra, Australia, 2006.
- Public Health Agency of Canada, “A guide for the development of a comprehensive system of support to promote active ageing,” in A Review of the Literature on Active Ageing, The Australian Government Department of Health and Ageing by the Healthpact Research Centre for Health Promotion and Wellbeing, 2003.
- European Commission, “Commission staff working document. Ex-ante evaluation. Accompanying document to the decision of the European Parliament and of the Council on the European Year for Active Ageing (2012) COM(2010) 462,” 2010, http://europa.eu/ey2012/ey2012main.jsp?catId=971&langId=en.
- Agency of Social Information, Older Generation in the Contemporary Russia. Statistics, Studies, Public Organizations, Agency of Social Information, Moscow, Russia, 1999.
- Russian Federation, “Report of the Russian Federation on the implementation of UNECE RIS/MIPAA,” 2012, http://www.unece.org/pau/age/mica2011/country_reports_2012.html.
- A. G. Zakharchuk, Encyclopaedia of Longevity, Saint-Petersburg, Russia, 2005.
- V. N. Shabalin, Life in the Flow of Ageing, Death and Immortality, Saint-Petersburg, Russia, 2007.
- United Nations, World Population Ageing 2009, United Nations, New York, NY, USA, 2010, http://www.un.org/esa/population/publications/WPA2009/WPA2009_WorkingPaper.pdf.
- United Nations, World Population Prospects, the 2010 Revision, United Nations, New York, NY, USA, 2010, http://esa.un.org/unpd/wpp/Excel-Data/definition-of-regions.htm.
- United Nations, World Economic and Social Survey. Development in an Ageing World, United Nations, New York, NY, USA, 2007, http://www.un.org/en/development/desa/policy/wess/wess_archive/2007wess.pdf.
- Ukraine, 2012 National report of Ukraine on the implementation of UNECE RIS/MIPAA2012, http://www.unece.org/pau/age/mica2011/country_reports_2012.html.
- Belarus, 2012 National report of Belarus on the implementation of UNECE RIS/MIPAA2012, http://www.unece.org/pau/age/mica2011/country_reports_2012.html.
- UNECE, “Economic Survey of Europe,” Tech. Rep. 1, UNECE, Geneva, Switzerland, 2004, http://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/ead/pub/041/041c7.pdf.
- UNDP Kazakhstan, The Great Generation of Kazakhstan: Insight into the Future. National Human Development Report, UNDP Kazakhstan, Almaty, Kazakhstan, 2005, http://hdr.undp.org/en/reports/national/europethecis/kazakhstan/KAZAKHSTAN_2005_en.pdf.
- The World Bank, From Red to Gray. The “Third Transition” of Aging Populations in Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union, The World Bank, Washington, DC, USA, 2007, http://siteresources.worldbank.org/ECAEXT/Resources/publications/454763-1181939083693/full_report.pdf.
- “European Values Study,” 2008, http://www.europeanvaluesstudy.eu/evs/about-evs/.
- O. Zdravomyslova, et al., Older Generation in the Contemporary Russia. Statistics, Studies, Public Organizations, Agency of Social Information, Moscow, Russia, 1999.
- V. V. Bezrukov and N. A. Foigt, “The impact of transition on older people in Ukraine: looking to the future with hope,” in Living Longer: Ageing, Development and Social Protection, P. Lloyd-Sherlock, Ed., UNRISD, Zed Books, London, UK, 2004.
- S. Hanley, “The emergence of pensioners' parties in contemporary Europe,” in Young Generation Under Pressure? The Financial Situation and the “Rush Hour“ of the Cohorts 1970–1985 in a Generational Comparison, J. C. Tremmel, Ed., Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2010.
- A. Walker, “Speaking for themselves: the new politics of old age in Europe,” Education and Ageing, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 13–36, 1998.
- Tajikistan, “2012 National report of Tajikistan on the implementation of the regional strategy for the Madrid international plan of action on ageing,” 2012, http://www.unece.org/pau/age/mica2011/country_reports_2012.html.
- L. Presniakova, “Social, material and emotional climate of old age in Russia,” Otechestvennye Zapiski, vol. 24, no. 3, 2005 (Russian), http://www.strana-oz.ru/2005/3/socialnyy-materialnyy-i-emocionalnyy-klimat-starosti-v-rossii.
- World Giving Index, “A global view of giving trends. Charities aid foundation,” 2011, http://www.cafonline.org/pdf/World_Giving_Index_2011_191211.pdf.
- D. A. Leon, L. Chenet, V. M. Shkolnikov et al., “Huge variation in Russian mortality rates 1984–94: Artefact, alcohol, or what?” The Lancet, vol. 350, no. 9075, pp. 383–388, 1997.
- V. M. Shkolnikov, G. A. Cornia, D. A. Leon, and F. Meslé, “Causes of the Russian mortality crisis: evidence and interpretations,” World Development, vol. 26, no. 11, pp. 1995–2011, 1998.
- N. Eberstadt, Russia’s Peacetime Demographic Crisis: Dimensions, Causes, Implications, The National Bureau of Asian Research, Washington, DC, USA, 2010.
- W. C. Cockerham, “Health lifestyles in Russia,” Social Science and Medicine, vol. 51, no. 9, pp. 1313–1324, 2000.
- UNDP Moscow, Demographic Policy in Russia: From Debate to Action, UNDP, Moscow, Russia, 2008.
- E. M. Andreev, D. A. Zhdanov, and V. M. Shkolnikov, “Mortality in Russia 15 years after the collapse of the USSR: facts and explanations,” SPERO, no. 6, pp. 115–142, 2007 (Russian).
- The World Bank, “Public Spending in Russia for Health Care: issues and options. Europe and Central Asia Region Human Development Department Russian Federation Country Management Unit, the World Bank,” http://siteresources.worldbank.org/INTECAREGTOPHEANUT/Resources/PublicSpendingInRussiaforHealthCare.pdf.
- E. M. Andreev, E. Nolte, V. M. Shkolnikov, E. Varavikova, and M. McKee, “The evolving pattern of avoidable mortality in Russia,” International Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 437–446, 2003.
- D. A. Leon, “Trends in European life expectancy: a salutary view,” International Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 271–277, 2011.
- United Nations, World Population Policies 2007, United Nations, New York, NY, USA, 2007, ST/ESA/SER.A/272, Sales number E.08.XIII.8.
- United Nations, World Population Policies 2009, United Nations, New York, NY, USA, 2010, http://www.un.org/esa/population/publications/wpp2009/wpp2009.htm.
- K. Kinsella and W. He, “An aging world: 2008,” U.S. Census Bureau, International Population Reports P95/09-1, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, DC, USA, 2009.
- UNECE, “2007 Country reports on implementation of UNECE RIS/MIPAA,” 2007, http://www.unece.org/pau/age/mica2007/country_reports_2007.html.
- UNECE, “2012 Country reports on implementation of UNECE RIS/MIPAA,” 2012, http://www.unece.org/pau/age/mica2011/country_reports_2012.h.
- A. Sidorenko and A. Zaidi, “Personal observations made during advisory missions to Ukraine,” 2007–2011.
- A. Zaidi and A. Sidorenko, Strategy Paper For Pension Policy in Ukraine, European centre for Social Welfare Policy and Research, 2012.
- A. Sidorenko, Personal observation made during advisory mission to Moldova, 2008.
- Armenia, “2007 National report of Armenia on the implementation of UNECE RIS/MIPAA,” 2007, http://www.unece.org/pau/age/mica2007/country_reports_2007.html.
- Moldova, “2007 National report of the Republic of Moldova on the implementation of UNECE RIS/MIPAA,” 2007, http://www.unece.org/pau/age/mica2007/country_reports_2007.html.
- A. Sidorenko, “Personal observations made during advisory missions to Armenia (2007), Kazakhstan (2008, 2010) and Moldova (2008),” 2007–2010.
- R. Holzmann and E. Palmer, Eds., Pension Reform: Issues and Prospects for Non-Financial Defined Contribution (NDC) Schemes, The World Bank, Washington, DC, USA, 2006.
- United Nations Moscow, Demographic Policy in Russia: From Considerations to Action, United Nations Office in Russia, Moscow, Russia, 2008.