- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Current Gerontology and Geriatrics Research
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 493728, 7 pages
Elders’ Life Stories: Impact on the Next Generation of Health Professionals
Department of Occupational Therapy, New York University, 35 West 4th Street, 11th Floor, New York, NY 10012, USA
Received 7 May 2013; Revised 15 July 2013; Accepted 18 July 2013
Academic Editor: Gilbert B. Zulian
Copyright © 2013 Tracy Chippendale. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Institute of Medicine, “Retooling for an aging America: building the healthcare workforce,” Institute of Medicine of the National Academies, 2008, http://www.iom.edu/Reports/2008/Retooling-for-an-Aging-America-Building-the-Health-Care-Workforce.aspx.
- D. C. Goncalves, “From loving grandma to working with older adults: promoting positive attitudes towards aging,” Educational Gerontology, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 202–225, 2009.
- R. Robert and P. M. Mosher-Ashley, “Factors influencing college students to choose careers working with elderly persons,” Educational Gerontology, vol. 26, no. 8, pp. 725–736, 2000.
- S. E. Jarrott, “Where have we been and where are we going? Content analysis of evaluation research of intergenerational programs,” Journal of Intergenerational Relationships, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 37–52, 2011.
- J. S. Ayala, J. A. Hewson, D. Bray, G. Jones, and D. J. Hartley, “Intergenerational programs: perspectives of service providers in one Canadian city,” Journal of Intergenerational Relationships, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 45–60, 2007.
- B. S. Fees and M. H. Bradshaw, “PATH across the generations: older adults' perceptions on the value of intergenerational contact,” Care Management Journals, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 209–215, 2003.
- C. R. Hernandez and M. Z. Gonzalez, “Effects of intergenerational interaction on aging,” Educational Gerontology, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 292–305, 2008.
- J. Montoro-Rodriguez and S. Pinazo, “Evaluating social integration and psychological outcomes for older adults enrolled at a university intergenerational program,” Journal of Intergenerational Relationships, vol. 3, pp. 65–81, 2005.
- H. L. Underwood and L. T. Dorfman, “A view from the other side: elders' reactions to intergenerational service-learning,” Journal of Intergenerational Relationships, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 43–60, 2006.
- J. F. S. Basran, V. D. Bello-Haas, D. Walker et al., “The longitudinal elderly person shadowing program: outcomes from an interprofessional senior partner mentoring group,” Gerontology & Geriatrics Education, vol. 33, no. 3, Article ID 679369, pp. 302–323, 2012.
- M. A. Bernard, W. J. McAuley, J. A. Belzer, and K. S. Neal, “An evaluation of a low-intensity intervention to introduce medical students to healthy older people,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 419–423, 2003.
- J. C. C. Chung, “An intergenerational reminiscence programme for older adults with early dementia and youth volunteers: values and challenges,” Scandinavian Journal of Caring Sciences, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 259–264, 2009.
- S. M. Cummings, G. Adler, and V. A. DeCoster, “Factors influencing graduate-social-work students' interest in working with elders,” Educational Gerontology, vol. 31, no. 8, pp. 643–655, 2005.
- S. M. Cummings, M. M. Williams, and R. A. Ellis, “Impact of an intergenerational program on 4th graders' attitudes toward elders and school behaviors,” Journal of Human Behavior in the Social Environment, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 43–61, 2003.
- T. Lee, “Getting to know you: using documentary video-making to challenge ageist stereotypes,” Gerontology & Geriatrics Education, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 272–286, 2012.
- C. Mercken, “Neighborhood-reminiscence: integrating generations and cultures in the Netherlands,” Journal of Intergenerational Relationships, vol. 1, pp. 81–95, 2002.
- J. K. Adjaye and O. M. Aborampah, “Intergenerational cultural transmission among the Akan of Ghana,” Journal of Intergenerational Relationships, vol. 2, no. 3-4, pp. 23–38, 2004.
- R. A. Zucchero, “Share your experience and I'll lend you my ear: older adult outcomes of an intergenerational service-learning experience,” Gerontology and Geriatrics Education, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 383–402, 2010.
- E. H. Erikson, “Eight stages of man,” in Childhood and Society, pp. 219–243, Norton, New York, NY, USA, 1950.
- B. Levy, “Stereotype embodiment: a psychosocial approach to aging,” Current Directions in Psychological Science, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 332–336, 2009.
- M. Sierpina, Share Your Life Story Workshops, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Tex, USA, 2002.
- B. R. Levy, S. V. Kasl, and T. M. Gill, “Image of aging scale,” Perceptual and Motor Skills, vol. 99, no. 1, pp. 208–210, 2004.
- P. F. Colaizzi, “Psychological research as the phenomenologist views it,” in Existential Phenomenological Alternatives for Psychology, R. S. Valle and M. King, Eds., pp. 48–71, Oxford University Press, New York, NY, USA, 1978.
- J. Cohen, Statistical Power Analysis For the Behavioral Sciences, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Hillsdale, NJ, USA, 2nd edition, 1988.
- B. R. Levy, A. B. Zonderman, M. D. Slade, and L. Ferrucci, “Age stereotypes held earlier in life predict cardiovascular events in later life,” Psychological Science, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 296–298, 2009.