- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Current Gerontology and Geriatrics Research
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 923710, 4 pages
Mental Health Problems and Sociodemographic Correlates in Elderly Medical Inpatients in a University Hospital in Egypt
Internal Medicine Department, Zagazig Faculty of Medicine, Zagazig 44519, Egypt
Received 19 April 2013; Revised 24 June 2013; Accepted 31 July 2013
Academic Editor: Howard B. Degenholtz
Copyright © 2013 Emam M. Esmayel et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. M. Sidik, L. Rampal, and M. Afifi, “Physical and mental health problems of the elderly in a rural community of Sepang, Selangor,” Malaysian Journal of Medical Sciences, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 152–159, 2004.
- R. Amol Dongre and R. Pradeep Deshmukh, “Social determinants of quality of life in a rural setting of India,” Indian Journal of Palliative Care, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 181–186, 2012.
- L. Wong, B. Heng, C. Ng, et al., “Geriatric syndromes and depressed mood in lower-income Singaporians with diabetes,” Annals of the Academy of Medicine Singapore, vol. 41, pp. 67–76, 2012.
- S.-J. Wang, “Social engagement in the elderly,” Journal of the Chinese Medical Association, vol. 72, no. 10, pp. 507–508, 2009.
- C. A. Ciro, K. J. Ottenbacher, J. E. Graham, S. Fisher, I. Berges, and G. V. Ostir, “Patterns and correlates of depression in hospitalized older adults,” Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 202–205, 2012.
- C. Khaw, C. Teo, and A. Rashid, “Cognitive impairment and depression among residents of an elderly home in Renang, Malaysia,” The Internet Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 1, no. 1, 2010.
- G. Torisson, M. Lennart, S. Laro, and E. Londoe, “Cognitive impairment is undetected in medical inpatients,” BMG Geriatrics, vol. 12, pp. 47–56, 2012.
- A. F. Jacinto, S. Brucki, C. S. Porto, M. de Arruda Martins, and R. Nitrini, “Detection of cognitive impairment in the elderly by general internists in Brazil,” Clinics, vol. 66, no. 8, pp. 1379–1384, 2011.
- F. M. Pena, J. D. S. Soares, B. T. C. Paiva et al., “Sociodemographic factors and depressive symptoms in hospitalized patients with heart failure,” Experimental and Clinical Cardiology, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. e29–e32, 2010.
- S. Z. Imam, S. H. Hashmi, M. G. Islam et al., “Liaison psychiatry and depression in medical inpatients,” Journal of the Pakistan Medical Association, vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 159–162, 2007.
- R. Malhotra, A. Chan, and T. Østbye, “Prevalence and correlates of clinically significant depressive symptoms among elderly people in Sri Lanka: findings from a national survey,” International Psychogeriatrics, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 227–236, 2010.
- A. Douzenis, I. Michopoulos, R. Gournellis et al., “Cognitive decline and dementia in elderly medical inpatients remain underestimated and underdiagnosed in a recently established university general hospital in Greece,” Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 147–150, 2010.
- E. Mohamed and M. Abd-Elhamed, “Depression among elderly attending geriatric clubs in Assiut city, Egypt,” Journal of American Science, vol. 7, no. 11, pp. 386–391, 2011.
- J. I. Sheikh and J. A. Yesowage, “Geriatric depression scale: recent evidence and development of a short version,” Clinical Gerontology, vol. 5, pp. 163–173, 1986.
- M. F. Folstein, S. E. Folstein, and P. R. McHugh, “‘Mini mental state’. A practical method for grading the cognitive state of patients for the clinician,” Journal of Psychiatric Research, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 189–198, 1975.
- G. Ortiz, D. Elva, M. Saiffe, et al., “Prevalence of cognitive impairment and depression among a population aged over 60 years in the Metropolitan area of Guadalajara Mexico,” Current Gerontology and Geriatrics Research, vol. 2012, Article ID 175019, 6 pages, 2012.
- S. Hamza, A. Haroun El Raashid, and O. Kahla, “The impact of anxiety, depression and cognitive impairment on functioning in the physically ill elderly in Egypt,” Current Psychiatry, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 152–165, 2006.
- A. Shehata, E. El Okda, and M. Rabie, “Prevalence of depression and association of cognitive impairment in elderly in Suburban community in Egypt,” Current Psychiatry, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 192–199, 2009.
- N. Hadi, E. Jamali, and F. Rahimi, “The prevalence of anxiety and depression in adult hospitalized patients in internal and surgical wards of Shiraz Hospitals,” Shiraz E Medical Journal, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 137–147, 2010.
- H. M. El Kady and H. K. Ibrahim, “Depression among a group of elders in Alexandria, Egypt,” Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 167–174, 2013.
- M. Shawky Khater and N. Fawzy Abouelezz, “Nutritional status in older adults with mild cognitive impairment living in elderly homes in Cairo, Egypt,” Journal of Nutrition, Health and Aging, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 104–108, 2011.
- S. Joray, V. Wietlisbach, and C. J. Büla, “Cognitive impairment in elderly medical inpatients: detection and associated six-month outcomes,” American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 639–647, 2004.
- B. M. Buurman, J. G. Hoogerduijn, R. J. de Haan et al., “Geriatric conditions in acutely hospitalized older patients: prevalence and One-Year survival and functional decline,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 11, Article ID e26951, 2011.
- C. C.-H. Chen, M.-J. Chiu, S.-P. Chen, C.-M. Cheng, and G.-H. Huang, “Patterns of cognitive change in elderly patients during and 6 months after hospitalisation: a prospective cohort study,” International Journal of Nursing Studies, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 338–346, 2011.
- I. Dimitrov, N. Deleva, B. Ivanov, and A. Klissarova, “Education level does not affect prevalence of dementia in a Bulgarian population,” Internet Journal of Neurology, vol. 13, no. 2, 2011.