- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Current Gerontology and Geriatrics Research
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 962321, 9 pages
Predicting Delirium Duration in Elderly Hip-Surgery Patients: Does Early Symptom Profile Matter?
1Department of Geriatric Medicine, Medical Center Alkmaar, P.O. Box 501, 1800 AM Alkmaar, The Netherlands
2Research and Academic Institute of Athens, 27 Themistokleous Street and Akadimias, 106 77 Athens, Greece
3University Hospital Limerick and Department of Adult Psychiatry, University of Limerick Medical School, Limerick, Ireland
4Medical Center Alkmaar, Pieter van Foreest Institute for Education and Research, 1800 AM Alkmaar, The Netherlands
5Department of Surgery, Medical Center Alkmaar, 1800 AM Alkmaar, The Netherlands
6Department of Neurology, Academic Medical Center, P.O. Box 22660, 1100 DD Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Received 9 July 2012; Revised 16 November 2012; Accepted 21 November 2012
Academic Editor: Abebaw Yohannes
Copyright © 2013 Chantal J. Slor et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. K. Inouye, C. M. Viscoli, R. I. Horwitz, L. D. Hurst, and M. E. Tinetti, “A predictive model for delirium in hospitalized elderly medical patients based on admission characteristics,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 119, no. 6, pp. 474–481, 1993.
- M. Dasgupta and A. C. Dumbrell, “Preoperative risk assessment for delirium after noncardiac surgery: a systematic review,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 54, no. 10, pp. 1578–1589, 2006.
- J. Witlox, L. S. M. Eurelings, J. F. M. de Jonghe, K. J. Kalisvaart, P. Eikelenboom, and W. A. van Gool, “Delirium in elderly patients and the risk of postdischarge mortality, institutionalization, and dementia: a meta-analysis,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 304, no. 4, pp. 443–451, 2010.
- J. C. Jackson, S. M. Gordon, R. P. Hart, R. O. Hopkins, and E. W. Ely, “The association between delirium and cognitive decline: a review of the empirical literature,” Neuropsychology Review, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 87–98, 2004.
- A. M. J. MacLullich, A. Beaglehole, R. J. Hall, and D. J. Meagher, “Delirium and long-term cognitive impairment,” International Review of Psychiatry, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 30–42, 2009.
- D. M. Edelstein, G. B. Aharonoff, A. Karp, E. L. Capla, J. D. Zuckerman, and K. J. Koval, “Effect of postoperative delirium on outcome after hip fracture,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 422, pp. 195–200, 2004.
- S. Nightingale, J. Holmes, J. Mason, and A. House, “Psychiatric illness and mortality after hip fracture,” The Lancet, vol. 357, no. 9264, pp. 1264–1265, 2001.
- N. Gupta, J. de Jonghe, J. Schieveld, M. Leonard, and D. Meagher, “Delirium phenomenology: what can we learn from the symptoms of delirium?” Journal of Psychosomatic Research, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 215–222, 2008.
- P. T. Trzepacz, R. W. Baker, and J. Greenhouse, “A symptom rating scale for delirium,” Psychiatry Research, vol. 23, pp. 89–97, 1988.
- M. A. Rudberg, P. Pompei, M. D. Foreman, R. E. Ross, and C. K. Cassel, “The natural history of delirium in older hospitalized patients: a syndrome of heterogeneity,” Age and Ageing, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 169–174, 1997.
- Y. Wada and N. Yamaguchi, “Delirium in the elderly: relationship of clinical symptoms to outcome,” Dementia, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 113–116, 1993.
- J. McCusker, M. Cole, N. Dendukuri, L. Han, and E. Belzile, “The course of delirium in older medical inpatients: a prospective study,” Journal of General Internal Medicine, vol. 18, no. 9, pp. 696–704, 2003.
- K. H. Lee, Y. C. Ha, Y. K. Lee, H. Kang, and K. H. Koo, “Frequency, risk factors, and prognosis of prolonged delirium in elderly patients after hip fracture surgery,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 469, pp. 2612–2620, 2011.
- T. N. Robinson, C. D. Raeburn, Z. V. Tran, E. M. Angles, L. A. Brenner, and M. Moss, “Postoperative delirium in the elderly: risk factors and outcomes,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 249, no. 1, pp. 173–178, 2009.
- M. González, G. Martínez, J. Calderón et al., “Impact of delirium on short-term mortality in elderly inpatients: a prospective cohort study,” Psychosomatics, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 234–238, 2009.
- K. J. Kalisvaart, J. F. M. de Jonghe, M. J. Bogaards et al., “Haloperidol prophylaxis for elderly hip-surgery patients at risk for delirium: a randomized placebo-controlled study,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 53, no. 10, pp. 1658–1666, 2005.
- J. Witlox, K. J. Kalisvaart, J. F. M. de Jonghe et al., “Cerebrospinal fluid β-amyloid and tau are not associated with risk of delirium: a prospective cohort study in older adults with hip fracture,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 59, no. 7, pp. 1260–1267, 2011.
- M. F. Folstein, S. E. Folstein, and P. R. McHugh, “‘Mini mental state’. A practical method for grading the cognitive state of patients for the clinician,” Journal of Psychiatric Research, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 189–198, 1975.
- A. F. Jorm and P. A. Jacomb, “The Informant Questionnaire on Cognitive Decline in the Elderly (IQCODE): socio-demographic correlates, reliability, validity and some norms,” Psychological Medicine, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 1015–1022, 1989.
- J. F. de Jonghe, B. Schmand, M. E. Ooms, and M. W. Ribbe, “Abbreviated form of the Informant Questionnaire on cognitive decline in the elderly,” Tijdschrift voor Gerontologie en Geriatrie, vol. 28, pp. 224–229, 1997.
- W. A. Knaus, E. A. Draper, D. P. Wagner, and J. E. Zimmerman, “APACHE II: a severity of disease classification system,” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 13, pp. 818–829, 1985.
- R. Hetherington, “The Shellen chart as a test of visual acuity,” Psychologische Forschung, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 349–357, 1954.
- F. I. Mahoney and D. W. Barthel, “Functional evaluation: the Barthel index,” Maryland State Medical Journal, vol. 14, pp. 61–65, 1965.
- M. P. Lawton and E. M. Brody, “Assessment of older people: self-maintaining and instrumental activities of daily living,” Gerontologist, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 179–186, 1969.
- J. W. Devlin, R. J. Roberts, J. J. Fong et al., “Efficacy and safety of quetiapine in critically ill patients with delirium: a prospective, multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot study,” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 419–427, 2010.
- S. K. Inouye, C. H. van Dyck, C. A. Alessi, S. Balkin, A. P. Siegal, and R. I. Horwitz, “Clarifying confusion: the confusion assessment method: a new method for detection of delirium,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 113, no. 12, pp. 941–948, 1990.
- American Psychiatric Association, Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, American Psychiatric Association, Washington, DC, USA, 2000.
- P. T. Trzepacz, D. Mittal, R. Torres, K. Kanary, J. Norton, and N. Jimerson, “Validation of the Delirium Rating Scale-revised-98: comparison with the delirium rating scale and the cognitive test for delirium,” Journal of Neuropsychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 229–242, 2001.
- H. J. Lee, D. S. Hwang, S. K. Wang, I. S. Chee, S. Baeg, and J. L. Kim, “Early assessment of delirium in elderly patients after hip surgery,” Psychiatry Investigation, vol. 8, pp. 340–347, 2011.
- P. Tognoni, A. Simonato, N. Robutti et al., “Preoperative risk factors for postoperative delirium (POD) after urological surgery in the elderly,” Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. e166–e169, 2011.
- R. Katznelson, G. Djaiani, G. Tait et al., “Hospital administrative database underestimates delirium rate after cardiac surgery,” Canadian Journal of Anesthesia, vol. 57, no. 10, pp. 898–902, 2010.
- A. W. Lemstra, K. J. Kalisvaart, R. Vreeswijk, W. A. van Gool, and P. Eikelenboom, “Pre-operative inflammatory markers and the risk of postoperative delirium in elderly patients,” International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, vol. 23, no. 9, pp. 943–948, 2008.
- F. S. Santos, L. O. Wahlund, F. Varli, I. T. Velasco, and M. E. Jönhagen, “Incidence, clinical features and subtypes of delirium in elderly patients treated for hip fractures,” Dementia and Geriatric Cognitive Disorders, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 231–237, 2005.
- J. F. M. de Jonghe, K. J. Kalisvaart, M. Dijkstra et al., “Early symptoms in the prodromal phase of delirium: a prospective cohort study in elderly patients undergoing hip surgery,” American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 112–121, 2007.
- D. Meagher, “Motor subtypes of delirium: past, present and future,” International Review of Psychiatry, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 59–73, 2009.
- W. A. van Gool, D. van de Beek, and P. Eikelenboom, “Systemic infection and delirium: when cytokines and acetylcholine collide,” The Lancet, vol. 375, no. 9716, pp. 773–775, 2010.
- C. Cunningham, “Systemic inflammation and delirium: important co-factors in the progression of dementia,” Biochemical Society Transactions, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 945–953, 2011.
- F. Licastro, S. Pedrini, L. Caputo et al., “Increased plasma levels of interleukin-1, interleukin-6 and α-1-antichymotrypsin in patients with Alzheimer's disease: peripheral inflammation or signals from the brain?” Journal of Neuroimmunology, vol. 103, no. 1, pp. 97–102, 2000.
- A. Álvarez, R. Cacabelos, C. Sanpedro, M. García-Fantini, and M. Aleixandre, “Serum TNF-alpha levels are increased and correlate negatively with free IGF-I in Alzheimer disease,” Neurobiology of Aging, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 533–536, 2007.
- J. N. Trollor, E. Smith, B. T. Baune et al., “Systemic inflammation is associated with MCI and its subtypes: the Sydney memory and aging study,” Dementia and Geriatric Cognitive Disorders, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 569–578, 2010.
- D. J. Meagher, M. Leonard, S. Donnelly, M. Conroy, D. Adamis, and P. T. Trzepacz, “A longitudinal study of motor subtypes in delirium: relationship with other phenomenology, etiology, medication exposure and prognosis,” Journal of Psychosomatic Research, vol. 71, pp. 395–403, 2011.
- J. R. Fann, C. M. Alfano, B. E. Burington, S. Roth-Roemer, W. J. Katon, and K. L. Syrjala, “Clinical presentation of delirium in patients undergoing hematopoietic stem cell transplantation: delirium and distress symptoms and time course,” Cancer, vol. 103, no. 4, pp. 810–820, 2005.