- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Current Gerontology and Geriatrics Research
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 357857, 8 pages
Effect of Frailty on Functional Gain, Resource Utilisation, and Discharge Destination: An Observational Prospective Study in a GEM Ward
1Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Hospital Avenue, Nedlands, WA 6009, Australia
2Osborne Park Hospital, Osborne Place, Stirling, WA 6021, Australia
3The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley, WA 6009, Australia
Received 30 July 2013; Revised 25 September 2013; Accepted 27 September 2013; Published 17 February 2014
Academic Editor: Francesc Formiga
Copyright © 2014 Sujatha Kawryshanker et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Gillis and B. MacDonald, “Deconditioning in the hospitalized elderly,” The Canadian Nurse, vol. 101, no. 6, pp. 16–20, 2005.
- C. A. Inderjeeth, A. C. H. Foo, M. M. Y. Lai, and P. Glendenning, “Efficacy and safety of pharmacological agents in managing osteoporosis in the old old: review of the evidence,” Bone, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 744–751, 2009.
- H.-T. Huang and C.-H. Chen, “Predictors of functional decline and care for the hospitalized elderly,” Journal of Nursing, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 85–90, 2009.
- R. E. Hubbard, E. Ruth, and O. Theou, “Frailty: enhancing the known knowns,” Age and Aging, vol. 41, pp. 574–575, 2012.
- R. N. Vicky, Frailty in the Elderly: Can It Be Prevented. Geriatrics/Aging/Elderly, 2012, http://allnurses-breakroom.com/showthread.php?t=759149.
- I. D. Cameron, F. Fairhall, C. Langron, et al., “A multifactorial interdisciplinary intervention reduces frailty in older people: randomized trial,” BMC Medicine, vol. 11, article 65, 2013.
- K. Van Craen, T. Braes, N. Wellens et al., “The effectiveness of inpatient geriatric evaluation and management units: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 83–92, 2010.
- H. J. Cohen, J. R. Feussner, M. Weinberger et al., “A controlled trial of inpatient and outpatient geriatric evaluation and management,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 346, no. 12, pp. 905–912, 2002.
- I. Saltvedt, E.-S. O. Mo, P. Fayers, S. Kaasa, and O. Sletvold, “Reduced mortality in treating acutely sick, frail older patients in a geriatric evaluation and management unit. A prospective randomized trial,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 792–798, 2002.
- M. Deschodt, J. Flamaing, P. Haentjens, S. Boonen, and K. Milisen, “Impact of geriatric consultation teams on clinical outcome in acute hospitals: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” BMC Medicine, vol. 11, article 48, 2013.
- L. Z. Rubenstein, K. R. Josephson, G. D. Wieland, P. A. English, J. A. Sayre, and R. L. Kane, “Effectiveness of a geriatric evaluation unit: a randomized clinical trial,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 311, pp. 1664–1670, 1984.
- A. E. Stuck and G. D. Wieland, “Preserving independence: the effectiveness of comprehensive geriatric assessment,” Schweizerische Medizinische Wochenschrift, vol. 124, no. 45, pp. 2019–2025, 1994.
- G. E. Martin, A. Whitehead, D. Robinson, D. O’Neill, and P. Langhorne, “Comprehensive geriatric assessment for older adults admitted to hospital: meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials,” British Medical Journal, vol. 343, Article ID d6553, 2011.
- B. B. Hamilton, J. A. Laughlin, R. C. Fiedler, and C. V. Granger, “Interrater reliability of the 7-level Functional Independence Measure (FIM),” Scandinavian Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 115–119, 1994.
- J. J. M. F. van der Putten, J. C. Hobart, J. A. Freeman, and A. J. Thompson, “Measuring change in disability after inpatient rehabilitation: comparison of the responsiveness of the Barthel Index and the Functional Independence Measure,” Journal of Neurology Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol. 66, no. 4, pp. 480–484, 1999.
- L. Poltawski, C. Goodman, S. Iliffe et al., “Frailty scales—their potential in interprofessional working with older people: a discussion paper,” Journal of Interprofessional Care, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 280–286, 2011.
- D. B. Rolfson, S. R. Majumdar, R. T. Tsuyuki, A. Tahir, and K. Rockwood, “Validity and reliability of the edmonton frail scale,” Age and Ageing, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 526–529, 2006.
- N. Fairhall, C. Aggar, S. E. Kurrle, et al., “Frailty Intervention Trial (FIT),” BMC Geriatrics, vol. 8, article 27, 2008.
- I. Singh, J. Gallacher, K. Davis, A. Johansen, E. Eeles, and R. E. Hubbard, “Predictors of adverse outcomes on an acute geriatric rehabilitation ward,” Age and Ageing, vol. 41, no. 2, Article ID afr179, pp. 242–246, 2012.
- J. E. Carlson, K. A. Zocchi, D. M. Bettencourt et al., “Measuring frailty in the hospitalized elderly: concept of functional homeostasis,” American Journal of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 77, no. 3, pp. 252–257, 1998.
- L. P. Fried, C. M. Tangen, J. Walston et al., “Frailty in older adults: evidence for a phenotype,” Journals of Gerontology A, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. M146–M156, 2001.
- C. K. Liu and R. A. Fielding, “Exercise as an intervention for frailty,” Clinics in Geriatric Medicine, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 101–110, 2011.
- J. L. Wells, J. A. Seabrook, P. Stolee, M. J. Borrie, and F. Knoefel, “State of the art in geriatric rehabilitation. Part I: review of frailty and comprehensive geriatric assessment,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 84, no. 6, pp. 890–897, 2003.
- D. C. Weber, K. C. Fleming, and J. M. Evans, “Rehabilitation of geriatric patients,” Mayo Clinic Proceedings, vol. 70, no. 12, pp. 1198–1204, 1995.
- L. Z. Rubenstein, A. E. Stuck, A. L. Siu, and D. Wieland, “. Impacts of geriatric evaluation and management programs on defined outcomes:overview of the evidence,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 39, no. 9, part 2, pp. 8S–18S, 1991.
- M. Dasgupta, D. B. Rolfson, P. Stolee, M. J. Borrie, and M. Speechley, “Frailty is associated with postoperative complications in older adults with medical problems,” Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 78–83, 2009.
- G. Ravaglia, P. Forti, A. Lucicesare, N. Pisacane, E. Rietti, and C. Patterson, “Development of an easy prognostic score for frailty outcomes in the aged,” Age and Ageing, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 161–166, 2008.
- P. Forti, E. Rietti, N. Pisacane, V. Olivelli, B. Maltoni, and G. Ravaglia, “A comparison of frailty indexes for prediction of adverse health outcomes in an elderly cohort,” Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 16–20, 2012.
- N. M. de Vries, J. B. Staal, C. D. van Ravensberg, J. S. M. Hobbelen, M. G. M. Olde Rikkert, and M. W. G. Nijhuis-van der Sanden, “Outcome instruments to measure frailty: a systematic review,” Ageing Research Reviews, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 104–114, 2011.
- A. Clegg, J. Young, and S. Iliffe, “Marcel Olde Rikkert, Kenneth Rockwood. Frailty in elderly people,” The Lancet, vol. 381, no. 9868, pp. 752–762, 2013.
- R. J. F. Melis, M. I. J. van Eijken, S. Teerenstra et al., “A randomized study of a multidisciplinary program to intervene on geriatric syndromes in vulnerable older people who live at home (Dutch EASYcare Study),” Journals of Gerontology A, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 283–290, 2008.
- A. E. Stuck, A. L. Siu, G. D. Wieland, J. Adams, and L. Z. Rubenstein, “Comprehensive geriatric assessment: a meta-analysis of controlled trials,” The Lancet, vol. 342, no. 8878, pp. 1032–1036, 1993.
- C. M. Boyd, Q.-L. Xue, C. F. Simpson, J. M. Guralnik, and L. P. Fried, “Frailty, hospitalization, and progression of disability in a cohort of disabled older women,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 118, no. 11, pp. 1225–1231, 2005.
- M. A. Sager, M. A. Rudberg, M. Jalaluddin et al., “Hospital Admission Risk Profile (HARP): identifying older patients at risk for functional decline following acute medical illness and hospitalization,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 251–257, 1996.
- R. Romero-Ortuno and R. A. Kenny, “The frailty index in Europeans: association with age and mortality,” Age and Ageing, vol. 41, pp. 684–689, 2012.
- P. Hanlon, D. Walsh, B. W. Whyte, S. N. Scott, P. Lightbody, and M. L. M. Gilhooly, “Hospital use by an ageing cohort: an investigation into the association between biological, behavioural and social risk markers and subsequent hospital utilization,” Journal of Public Health Medicine, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 467–476, 1998.