- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Current Gerontology and Geriatrics Research
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 923717, 8 pages
Geriatric Hip Fractures and Inpatient Services: Predicting Hospital Charges Using the ASA Score
The Vanderbilt Orthopaedic Institute Center for Health Policy, Vanderbilt University, Suite 4200, South Tower, MCE, Nashville, TN 37221, USA
Received 12 February 2014; Revised 11 April 2014; Accepted 12 April 2014; Published 30 April 2014
Academic Editor: Francesc Formiga
Copyright © 2014 Rachel V. Thakore et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. Wilkins, “Health care consequences of falls for seniors,” Health Reports, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 47–55, 1999.
- News AAOS, “Academy Statement on Prevention of Hip Fractures,” 2000, http://www2.aaos.org.proxy.library.vanderbilt.edu/aaos/archives/acadnews/2000news/c9-17.htm.
- C. A. Brown, A. Z. Starr, and J. A. Nunley, “Analysis of past secular trends of hip fractures and predicted number in the future 2010–2050,” Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 117–122, 2012.
- US Congress OoTA, Hip Fracture Outcomes in People Age 50 and Over—Background Paper, US Government Printing Office, Washington, DC, USA, 1994.
- A. A. Fisher, M. W. Davis, S. E. Rubenach, S. Sivakumaran, P. N. Smith, and M. M. Budge, “Outcomes for older patients with hip fractures: the impact of orthopedic and geriatric medicine cocare,” Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 172–178, 2006.
- A. E. Garcia, J. V. Bonnaig, Z. T. Yoneda RE, et al., “Patient variables which may predict length of stay and hospital charges in elderly patients with hip fracture,” Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma, vol. 26, no. 11, pp. 620–623, 2012.
- S. J. Long, K. F. Brown, D. Ames, and C. Vincent, “What is known about adverse events in older medical hospital inpatients? A systematic review of the literature,” International Journal for Quality in Health Care, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 542–554, 2013.
- L. Pousada, R. Leipzig, C. Smyth, S. Rosenfeld, P. Dooley, and R. D. Kennedy, “Effect of a geriatric consult team on length of acute-care hospital stay for hip fracture,” Einstein Quarterly Journal Of Biology & Medicine, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 65–69, 1991.
- D. L. Davenport, E. A. Bowe, W. G. Henderson, S. F. Khuri, and R. M. Mentzer Jr., “National Surgical Quality Improvement Program (NSQIP) risk factors can be used to validate American Society of Anesthesiologists Physical Status Classification (ASA PS) levels,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 243, no. 5, pp. 636–641, 2006.
- ASA Physical Classification System, American Society of Anesthesiologists, http://www.asahq.org/clinical/physicalstatus.
- D. J. Donegan, A. N. Gay, K. Baldwin, E. E. Morales, J. L. Esterhai Jr., and S. Mehta, “Use of medical comorbidities to predict complications after hip fracture surgery in the elderly,” The Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, vol. 92, no. 4, pp. 807–813, 2010.
- T. Fukuse, N. Satoda, K. Hijiya, and T. Fujinaga, “Importance of a comprehensive geriatric assessment in prediction of complications following thoracic surgery in elderly patients,” Chest, vol. 127, no. 3, pp. 886–891, 2005.
- J. A. Overcash and J. Beckstead, “Predicting falls in older patients using components of a comprehensive geriatric assessment,” Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 941–949, 2008.
- N. Martinez-Velilla, B. Ibanez-eroiz, and J. Alonso-Renedo, “Is comprehensive geriatric assessment a better 1-year mortality predictor than comorbidity and prognostic indices in hospitalized older adults?” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 61, no. 10, pp. 1821–1823, 2013.
- A. M. Horgan, N. B. Leighl, L. Coate et al., “Impact and feasibility of a comprehensive geriatric assessment in the oncology setting: a pilot study,” American Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 322–328, 2012.
- American Medical Association, “RBRVS: Resource-Based Relative Value Scale,” http://www.ama-assn.org//ama/pub/physician-resources/solutions-managing-your-practice/coding-billing-insurance/medicare/the-resource-based-relative-value-scale.page.
- M. Moisio, Medical Terminology for Insurance and Coding, Cengage Learning, 2009.
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, “Fact Sheets,” 2013, http://www.cms.gov/apps/media/fact_sheets.asp.
- G. Pioli, M. L. Davoli, F. Pellicciotti, P. Pignedoli, and A. Ferrari, “Comprehensive care,” European Journal of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 265–279, 2011.
- M. Daabiss, “American Society of Anaesthesiologists physical status classification,” Indian Journal of Anaesthesia, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 111–115, 2011.
- S. Ridgeway, J. Wilson, A. Charlet, G. Katafos, A. Pearson, and R. Coello, “Infection of the surgical site after arthroplasty of the hip,” The Bone & Joint Journal, vol. 87, no. 6, pp. 844–850, 2005.
- H. Palm, M. Krasheninnikoff, and K. Holck, “An algorithm for hip fracture surgery reducted the one-year reoperation rate from 18% to 12%,” The Bone & Joint Journal, vol. 94, article 309, 2012.
- E. T. Newman, T. S. Watters, J. S. Lewis, et al., “Impact of perioperative allogeneic and autologous blood transfusion on acute wound infection following total knee and total hip arthroplasty,” The Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, vol. 96, no. 4, pp. 279–284, 2014.
- U. Wolters, T. Wolf, H. Stützer, and T. Schröder, “ASA classification and perioperative variables as predictors of postoperative outcome,” British Journal of Anaesthesia, vol. 77, no. 2, pp. 217–222, 1996.
- J. J. W. Roche, R. T. Wenn, O. Sahota, and C. G. Moran, “Effect of comorbidities and postoperative complications on mortality after hip fracture in elderly people: prospective observational cohort study,” British Medical Journal, vol. 331, no. 7529, pp. 1374–1376, 2005.
- T. A. Radcliff, W. G. Henderson, T. J. Stoner, S. F. Khuri, M. Dohm, and E. Hutt, “Patient risk factors, operative care, and outcomes among older community-dwelling male veterans with hip fracture,” The Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, vol. 90, no. 1, pp. 34–42, 2008.
- R. Jacqueline, S. Malviya, C. Burke, and P. Reynolds, “An assessment of interrater reliability of the ASA physical status classification in pediatric surgical patients,” Paediatric Anaesthesia, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 928–931, 2006.
- K. G. Ringdal, N. O. Skaga, P. A. Steen et al., “Classification of comorbidity in trauma: the reliability of pre-injury ASA physical status classification,” Injury, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 29–35, 2013.