- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Current Gerontology and Geriatrics Research
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 949180, 8 pages
Relationship-Based Care and Behaviours of Residents in Long-Term Care Facilities
1School of Rehabilitation, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Université de Sherbrooke, 3001 12th Avenue North Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, QC, Canada J1H 5N4
2Research Centre on Aging, CSSS-IUGS, Sherbrooke, QC, Canada
3Département d’études sur l’Enseignement et l’Apprentissage, Université Laval, QC, Canada
4Centre de Recherche et d’Intervention sur la Réussite Scolaire (CRIRES), QC, Canada
5Département des Relations Industrielles, Université Laval, QC, Canada
6Chaire de Recherche en Gestion de la Santé et de la sécurité du travail, Université Laval, QC, Canada
7Département de Réadaptation, Université Laval, QC, Canada
Received 29 April 2013; Revised 4 December 2013; Accepted 10 December 2013; Published 12 January 2014
Academic Editor: Jacek Witkowski
Copyright © 2014 Johanne Desrosiers et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Ministère de la Santé et des Services Sociaux, UN Milieu de vie de Qualité Pour les Personnes Hébergees en CHSLD. Orientations Ministérielles, Ministère de la Santé et des Services Sociaux, Québec, Canada, 2003.
- J. Cohen-Mansfield and P. Werner, “The effects of an enhanced environment on nursing home residents who pace,” Gerontologist, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 199–208, 1998.
- P. Voyer, R. Verreault, G. M. Azizah, J. Desrosiers, N. Champoux, and A. Bédard, “Prevalence of physical and verbal aggressive behaviours and associated factors among older adults in long-term care facilities,” BMC Geriatrics, vol. 5, article 13, 2005.
- A. Zeller, S. Hahn, I. Needham, G. Kok, T. Dassen, and R. J. G. Halfens, “Aggressive behavior of nursing home residents toward caregivers: a systematic literature review,” Geriatric Nursing, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 174–187, 2009.
- H. Brodaty, B. Draper, and L.-F. Low, “Nursing home staff attitudes towards residents with dementia: strain and satisfaction with work,” Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 583–590, 2003.
- W. Evers, W. Tomic, and A. Brouwers, “Effects of aggressive behavior and perceived self-efficacy on burnout among staff of homes for the elderly,” Issues in Mental Health Nursing, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 439–454, 2000.
- B. Hoeffer, K. A. Talerico, J. Rasin et al., “Assisting cognitively impaired nursing home residents with bathing: effects of two bathing interventions on caregiving,” Gerontologist, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 524–532, 2006.
- G. S. Winzelberg, C. S. Williams, J. S. Preisser, S. Zimmerman, and P. D. Sloane, “Factors associated with nursing assistant quality-of-life ratings for residents with dementia in long-term care facilities,” Gerontologist, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 106–114, 2005.
- J. Cohen-Mansfield and J. E. Mintzer, “Time for change: the role of nonpharmacological interventions in treating behavior problems in nursing home residents with dementia,” Alzheimer Disease and Associated Disorders, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 37–40, 2005.
- Committee on Quality of Health Care in America, “Improving the 21st-century health care system,” in Crossing the Quality Chasm: a New Health System for the 21st Century, pp. 39–60, CQHCA, Washington, DC.
- T. Kitwood, “Towards a theory of dementia care: the interpersonal process,” Ageing and Society, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 51–67, 2008.
- B. McCormack, “Person-centredness in gerontological nursing: an overview of the literature,” Journal of Clinical Nursing, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 31–38, 2004.
- J. Cohen-Mansfield and A. Bester, “Flexibility as a management principle in dementia care: the Adards example,” Gerontologist, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 540–544, 2006.
- J. Cohen-Mansfield and A. Parpura-Gill, “Bathing: a framework for intervention focusing on psychosocial, architectural and human factors considerations,” Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 121–135, 2007.
- J. Cohen-Mansfield and P. Werner, “Longitudinal predictors of non-aggressive agitated behaviours in the elderly,” International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, vol. 14, pp. 831–844, 1999.
- J. Opie, R. Rosewarne, and D. W. O'Connor, “The efficacy of psychosocial approaches to behaviour disorders in dementia: a systematic literature review,” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 789–799, 1999.
- P. Landreville, A. Bédard, R. Verreault et al., “Non-pharmacological interventions for aggressive behavior in older adults living in long-term care facilities,” International Psychogeriatrics, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 47–73, 2006.
- E.-H. Kong, L. K. Evans, and J. P. Guevara, “Nonpharmacological intervention for agitation in dementia: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” Aging and Mental Health, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 512–520, 2009.
- Y. Gineste and J. Pellissier, Humanitude: Comprendre La Vieillesse, Prendre Soin des Hommes Vieux, Armand Collin, Paris, France, 2005.
- J. Cohen-Mansfield, M. S. Marx, and A. S. Rosenthal, “A description of agitation in a nursing home,” Journals of Gerontology, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. M77–M84, 1989.
- S. I. Finkel, J. S. Lyons, and R. L. Anderson, “Reliability and validity of the Cohen-Mansfield agitation inventory in institutionalized elderly,” International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, vol. 7, no. 7, pp. 487–490, 1992.
- R. J. Miller, J. Snowdon, and R. Vaughan, “The use of the Cohen-Mansfield Agitation Inventory in the assessment of behavioral disorders in nursing homes,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 546–549, 1995.
- E. Koss, M. Weiner, C. Ernesto et al., “Assessing patterns of agitation in Alzheimer's disease patients with the cohen-mansfield agitation inventory,” Alzheimer Disease and Associated Disorders, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. S45–S50, 1997.
- R. W. Toseland, M. Diehl, K. Freeman, T. Manzanares, M. Naleppa, and P. McCallion, “The impact of validation group therapy on nursing home residents with dementia,” Journal of Applied Gerontology, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 31–50, 1997.
- R. Hébert, J. Guilbault, J. Desrosiers, and N. Dubuc, “The functional autonomy measurement system (SMAF): a clinical-based instrument for measuring disabilities and handicaps in older people,” Geriatrics Today, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 141–147, 2001.
- J. Desrosiers, G. Bravo, R. Hebert, and N. Dubuc, “Reliability of the revised functional autonomy measurement system (SMAF) for epidemiological research,” Age and Ageing, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 402–406, 1995.
- M. S. Bourgeois, K. Dijkstra, L. D. Burgio, and R. S. Allen, “Communication skills training for nursing aides of residents with dementia: the impact of measuring performance,” Clinical Gerontologist, vol. 27, no. 1-2, pp. 119–138, 2004.
- A. Drach-Zahavy, “Patient-centred care and nurses' health: the role of nurses' caring orientation,” Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol. 65, no. 7, pp. 1463–1474, 2009.
- R. M. Epstein, P. Franks, K. Fiscella et al., “Measuring patient-centered communication in Patient-Physician consultations: theoretical and practical issues,” Social Science and Medicine, vol. 61, no. 7, pp. 1516–1528, 2005.
- R. F. Coen, C. A. O'Boyle, D. Coakley, and B. A. Lawlor, “Dementia carer education and patient behaviour disturbance,” International Journal of Geriatrics Psychiatry, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 302–306, 1999.
- A. Viau-Guay, M. Bellemare, I. Feillou, L. Trudel, J. Desrosiers, and M. J. Robitaille, “Person-centered care training in long-term care settings: usefulness and facility of transfer into practice,” Canadian Journal on Aging, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 57–72, 2013.
- N. P. G. Boumans, J. A. Landeweerd, and M. Visser, “Differentiated practice, patient-oriented care and quality of work in a hospital in the Netherlands,” Scandinavian Journal of Caring Sciences, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 37–48, 2004.
- K. Skovdahl, A. L. Kihlgren, and M. Kihlgren, “Different attitudes when handling aggressive behaviour in dementia—narratives from two caregiver groups,” Aging and Mental Health, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 277–286, 2003.
- E. A. Matthews, G. A. Farrell, and A. M. Blackmore, “Effects of an environmental manipulation emphasizing client-centred care on agitation and sleep in dementia sufferers in a nursing home,” Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 439–447, 1996.
- M. A. Mickus, D. B. Wagenaar, M. Averill, C. C. Colenda, J. Gardiner, and Z. Luo, “Developing effective bathing strategies for reducing problematic behavior for residents with dementia: the PRIDE approach,” Journal of Mental Health and Aging, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 37–43, 2002.
- C. K. Beck, T. S. Vogelpohl, J. H. Rasin et al., “Effects of behavioral interventions on disruptive behavior and affect in demented nursing home residents,” Nursing Research, vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 219–228, 2002.
- P. D. Sloane, B. Hoeffer, C. M. Mitchell et al., “Effect of person-centered showering and the towel bath on bathing-associated aggression, agitation, and discomfort in nursing home residents with dementia: a randomized, controlled trial,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 52, no. 11, pp. 1795–1804, 2004.