- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Chemotherapy Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 549170, 5 pages
Induction Chemotherapy in Locally Advanced Pharyngolaryngeal Cancers with Stridor: Is It Feasible and Safe?
1Department of Medical Oncology, Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai 400012, India
2Department of Surgical Oncology, Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai 400012, India
3Department of Radio-Diagnosis, Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai 400012, India
Received 1 May 2012; Revised 5 July 2012; Accepted 6 July 2012
Academic Editor: Vassilios A. Georgoulias
Copyright © 2012 Vijay Maruti Patil et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. MacKenzie, E. Franssen, J. Balogh, D. Birt, and R. Gilbert, “The prognostic significance of tracheostomy in carcinoma of the larynx treated with radiotherapy and surgery for salvage,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 43–51, 1998.
- P. J. Bradley, “Treatment of the patient with upper airway obstruction caused by cancer of the larynx,” Otolaryngology, vol. 120, no. 5, pp. 737–741, 1999.
- D. Herchenhorn, F. L. Dias, C. G. Ferreira et al., “Impact of previous tracheotomy as a prognostic factor in patients with locally advanced squamous cell carcinoma of the larynx submitted to concomitant chemotherapy and radiation,” ORL Journal, vol. 70, no. 6, pp. 381–388, 2008.
- B. Mittal, J. E. Marks, and J. H. Ogura, “Transglottic carcinoma,” Cancer, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 151–161, 1984.
- N. V. Chernov, A. L. Klochikhin, and G. I. Markov, “Tracheostomy in patients with locally advanced laryngeal cancer,” Vestnik Otorinolaringologii, no. 2, pp. 52–54, 2005.
- J. F. Carrillo, M. Frías-Mendívil, C. Lopez-Graniel, A. I. Beitia, and F. J. Ochoa-Carrillo, “The impact of preoperative tracheotomy on T3 transglottic carcinomas of the larynx,” European Archives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology, vol. 256, no. 2, pp. 78–82, 1999.
- F. C. Holsinger, M. S. Kies, E. M. Diaz et al., “Durable long-term remission with chemotherapy alone for stage II to IV laryngeal cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 27, no. 12, pp. 1976–1982, 2009.
- A. A. Forastiere and A. R. Shaha, “Chemotherapy alone for laryngeal preservation—is it possible?” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 27, no. 12, pp. 1933–1934, 2009.
- J. K. Salama, K. M. Stenson, E. O. Kistner et al., “Induction chemotherapy and concurrent chemoradiotherapy for locoregionally advanced head and neck cancer: a multi-institutional phase II trial investigating three radiotherapy dose levels,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 19, no. 10, pp. 1787–1794, 2008.
- S. Urba, G. Wolf, A. Eisbruch et al., “Single-cycle induction chemotherapy selects patients with advanced laryngeal cancer for combined chemoradiation: a new treatment paradigm,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 593–598, 2006.
- J. L. Lefebvre, D. Chevalier, B. Luboinski, A. Kirkpatrick, L. Collette, and T. Sahmoud, “Larynx preservation in pyriform sinus cancer: preliminary results of a European organization for research and treatment of cancer phase III trial,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 88, no. 13, pp. 890–899, 1996.
- P. Y. Chu, T. L. Lee, and S. Y. Chang, “Impact and management of airway obstruction in patients with squamous cell carcinoma of the larynx,” Head and Neck, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 98–102, 2011.
- G. J. Spector, D. G. Sessions, J. Lenox, D. Newland, J. Simpson, and B. H. Haughey, “Management of stage IV glottic carcinoma: therapeutic outcomes,” Laryngoscope, vol. 114, no. 8 I, pp. 1438–1446, 2004.
- J. J. Fagan and J. W. Loock, “Tracheostomy and peristomal recurrence,” Clinical Otolaryngology and Allied Sciences, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 328–330, 1996.
- M. P. Kamath, M. C. Hegde, S. Sreedharan, K. Bhojwani, V. Vamadevan, and K. V. Vishwas, “Role of estimation of arterial blood gases in the management of stridor,” Indian Journal of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 125–130, 2010.
- J. B. Vermorken, E. Remenar, C. van Herpen et al., “Cisplatin, fluorouracil, and docetaxel in unresectable head and neck cancer,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 357, no. 17, pp. 1695–1704, 2007.
- M. R. Posner, D. M. Hershock, C. R. Blajman et al., “Cisplatin and fluorouracil alone or with docetaxel in head and neck cancer,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 357, no. 17, pp. 1705–1715, 2007.
- R. Hitt, J. J. Grau, A. Lopez-Pousa, et al., “Final results of a randomized phase III trial comparing induction chemotherapy with cisplatin/5-FU or docetaxel/cisplatin/5-FU follow by chemoradiotherapy (CRT) versus CRT alone as first-line treatment of unresectable locally advanced head and neck cancer (LAHNC)2009,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 27, supplement 15, article 6009.
- G. H. Zalzal, “Stridor and airway compromise,” Pediatric Clinics of North America, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 1389–1402, 1989.