- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 272731, 7 pages
Dietary Karaya Saponin and Rhodobacter capsulatus Exert Hypocholesterolemic Effects by Suppression of Hepatic Cholesterol Synthesis and Promotion of Bile Acid Synthesis in Laying Hens
Laboratory of Animal Biotechnology, Interdisciplinary Graduate School of Science and Technology, Shinshu University, Minamiminowa-mura, Nagano 399-4598, Japan
Received 27 October 2009; Revised 18 February 2010; Accepted 17 May 2010
Academic Editor: Philippe G. Frank
Copyright © 2010 Sadia Afrose et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. S. Sidhu and D. G. Oakenfull, “A mechanism for the hypocholesterolaemic activity of saponins,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 643–649, 1986.
- S. Southon, A. J. A. Wright, K. R. Price, S. J. Fairweather-Tait, and G. R. Fenwick, “The effect of three types of saponin on iron and zinc absorption from a single meal in the rat,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 389–396, 1988.
- S. M. Potter, R. Jimenez-Flores, J. Pollack, T. A. Lone, and M. D. Berber-Jimenez, “Protein-saponin interaction and its influence on blood lipids,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 41, no. 8, pp. 1287–1291, 1993.
- H. Matsuura, “Saponins in garlic as modifiers of the risk of cardiovascular disease,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 131, no. 3, pp. 1000S–1005S, 2001.
- S. Afrose, MD. S. Hossain, T. Maki, and H. Tsujii, “Karaya root saponin exerts a hypocholesterolemic response in rats fed a high-cholesterol diet,” Nutrition Research, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 350–354, 2009.
- U. Salma, A. G. Miah, K. M. A. Tareq, T. Maki, and H. Tsujii, “Effect of dietary Rhodobacter capsulatus on egg-yolk cholesterol and laying hen performance,” Poultry Science, vol. 86, no. 4, pp. 714–719, 2007.
- U. Salma, A. G. Miah, T. Maki, and H. Tsujii, “Effect of dietary Rhodobacter capsulatus on cholesterol concentration and fatty acid composition in Japanese quail,” Journal of Poultry Science, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 375–382, 2007.
- H. Tsujii, M. Nishioka, U. Salma, A. G. Miah, T. Maki, and M. G. Lee, “Comparative study on hypocholesterolemic effect of Rhodopseudomonas palustris and Rhodobacter capsulatus on rats fed a high cholesterol diet,” Animal Science Journal, vol. 78, no. 5, pp. 535–540, 2007.
- H. Tsujii, Y. Kuwabara, U. Salma, A. G. Miah, M. Nishimura, and T. Maki, “Effect of dietary Rhodobacter capsulatus on cholesterol, triglycerides concentration, and meat quality of finishing pigs,” Animal Science Journal, vol. 79, no. 4, pp. 460–465, 2008.
- S. Afrose, M. S. Hossain, T. Maki, and H. Tsujii, “Effect of dietary karaya saponin on serum and egg yolk cholesterol in laying hens,” British Poulry Science. In press.
- E. Levy, S. Spahis, and S. Spahis, “Intestinal cholesterol transport proteins: an update and beyond,” Current Opinion in Lipidology, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 310–318, 2007.
- D. R. Illingworth, P. B. Duell, and W. E. Connor, “Disorders of lipid metabolism,” in Endocrinology and Metabolism, P. Felig, J. D. Baxter, and L. A. Frohman, Eds., pp. 1315–1403, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 1995.
- H. L. Zhao, S. V. Harding, C. P.F. Marinangeli, Y. S. Kim, and P. J.H. Jones, “Hypocholesterolemic and anti-obesity effects of saponins from Platycodon grandiflorum in hamsters fed atherogenic diets,” Journal of Food Science, vol. 73, no. 8, pp. 195–200, 2008.
- AOAC, Official Methods of Analysis. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, 1995.
- M. Kobayashi and S. Kurata, “The mass culture and cell utilization of photosynthetic bacteria,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 13, pp. 27–29, 1978.
- N. Shapira and J. Pinchasov, “Modified egg composition to reduce low-density lipoprotein oxidizability: high monounsaturated fatty acids and antioxidants versus regular high n-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids,” in Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 56, no. 10, pp. 3688–3693, May 2008.
- R. Van der Meer, H. de Vries, and J. F. C. Glatz, Studies in the Netherlands, Ponsen & Looijen, Netherlands, 1985.
- J. Folch, M. Lees, and G. H. Stanley, “A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipides from animal tissues,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 226, no. 1, pp. 497–509, 1957.
- H. J. Harwood, C. E. Chandler, and L. D. Pellarin, “Pharmacologic consequences of cholesterol absorption inhibition: alteration in cholesterol metabolism and reduction in plasma cholesterol concentration induced by the synthetic saponin beta-tigogenin cellobioside (CP-88818; tiqueside),” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 34, pp. 377–395, 1993.
- S. B. Mahato, S. K. Sarkar, and G. Poddar, “Triterpenoid saponins,” Phytochemistry, vol. 27, pp. 3037–3067, 1988.
- D. G. Oakenfull and D. E. Fenwick, “Adsorption of bile salts from aqueous solution by plant fibre and cholestyramine,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 299–309, 1978.
- D. G. Oakenfull, D. L. Topping, R. J. Illman, and D. E. Fenwick, “Prevention of dietary hypercholesterolaemia in the rat by soya bean and quillaja saponins,” Nutrition Reports International, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 1039–1046, 1984.
- J. W. Erdman Jr., “Soy protein and cardiovascular disease: a statement for healthcare professionals from the nutrition committee of the AHA,” Circulation, vol. 102, no. 20, pp. 2555–2559, 2000.
- D. H. Shin, H. J. Heo, Y. J. Lee, and H. K. Kim, “Amaranth squalene is reduced serum and liver lipid levels in been fed a cholesterol diet,” British Journal of Biomedical Science, vol. 61, pp. 11–14, 2004.
- S. M. Potter, “Overview of proposed mechanisms for the hypocholesterolemic effect of soy,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 125, supplement 3, pp. 606S–611S, 1995.
- D. Oakenfull and B. H. Arjmandi, “Soy protein, saponins and plasma cholesterol,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 131, no. 11, pp. 2971–2972, 2001.
- H. L. Zhao, S. V. Harding, C. P. F. Marinangeli, Y. S. Kim, and P. J.H. Jones, “Hypocholesterolemic and anti-obesity effects of saponins from Platycodon grandiflorum in hamsters fed atherogenic diets,” Journal of Food Science, vol. 73, no. 8, pp. H195–H200, 2008.
- C.-Y. Lin, C.-Y. Tsai, and S.-H. Lin, “Effects of soy components on blood and liver lipids in rats fed high-cholesterol diets,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 11, no. 35, pp. 5549–5552, 2005.
- L. A. Morehouse, F. W. Bangerter, and M. P. DeNinno, “Comparison of synthetic saponin cholesterol absorption inhibitors in rabbits: evidence for a Non-Stoichiometric, intestinal mechanism of action,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 40, pp. 464–474, 1999.