- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 306147, 3 pages
The Effects of Extended Release Niacin in Combination with Omega 3 Fatty Acid Supplements in the Treatment of Elevated Lipoprotein (a)
Brooke Army Medical Center, MCHE MDC Cardiology Service, 3851 Roger Brooke Drive, Fort Sam Houston, TX 78234-6200, USA
Received 28 September 2009; Revised 18 December 2009; Accepted 22 December 2009
Academic Editor: Gerhard M. Kostner
Copyright © 2010 Alan F. Helmbold et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. G. Bostom, L. A. Cupples, J. L. Jenner, et al., “Elevated plasma lipoprotein(a) and coronary heart disease in an aged 55 years and younger a prospective study,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 276, pp. 544–548, 1996.
- S. M. Marcovina, et al., “The effect of methodological differences in the measurement of Lp(a) on the interpretation of clinical data,” International Congress Series, vol. 1262, pp. 558–561, 2004.
- H. R. Superko and H. S. Hecht, “Metabolic disorders contribute to subclinical coronary atherosclerosis in patients with coronary calcification,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 88, no. 3, pp. 260–264, 2001.
- G. Dangas, R. Mehran, P. C. Harpel, et al., “Lipoprotein(a) and inflammation in human coronary atheroma: association with the severity of clinical presentation,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 32, no. 7, pp. 2035–2042, 1998.
- P. J. Stubbs, M. Seed, D. Lane, P. Collinson, F. Kendall, and M. Noble, “Lipoprotein(a) as a risk predictor for cardiac mortality in patients with acute coronary syndromes,” European Heart Journal, vol. 19, no. 9, pp. 1355–1364, 1998.
- L. A. Miles, G. M. Fless, E. G. Levin, A. M. Scanu, and E. F. Plow, “A potential basis for the thrombotic risks associated with lipoprotein(a),” Nature, vol. 339, no. 6222, pp. 301–303, 1989.
- D. I. Simon, G. M. Fless, A. M. Scanu, and J. Loscalzo, “Tissue type plasminogen activator binds to and is inhibited by surface-bound lipoprotein(a) and low-density lipoprotein,” Biochemistry, vol. 30, pp. 6671–6677, 1991.
- J. Pan, M. Lin, R. L. Kesala, J. Van, and M. A. Charles, “Niacin treatment of the atherogenic lipid profile and Lp(a) in diabetes,” Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 255–261, 2002.
- S. M. Grundy, G. L. Vega, M. E. McGovern, et al., “Efficacy, safety, and tolerability of once-daily niacin for the treatment of dyslipidemia associated with type 2 diabetes: results of the assessment of diabetes control and evaluation of the efficacy of Niaspan trial,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 162, no. 14, pp. 1568–1576, 2002.
- W. Herrmann, J. Biermann, and G. M. Kostner, “Comparison of effects of N-3 to N-6 fatty acids on serum level of lipoprotein(a) in patients with coronary artery disease,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 76, no. 7, pp. 459–462, 1995.
- F. U. Beil, W. Terres, M. Orgass, and H. Greten, “Dietary fish oil lowers lipoprotein(a) in primary hypertriglyceridemia,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 90, no. 1, pp. 95–97, 1991.
- O. Haglund, J. L. Mehta, and T. Saldeen, “Effects of fish oil on some parameters of fibrinolysis and lipoprotein(a) in healthy subjects,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 74, no. 2, pp. 189–192, 1994.
- M. Farnier, F. Bonnefous, N. Debbas, and A. Irvine, “Comparative efficacy and safety of micronized fenofibrate and simvastatin in patients with primary type IIa or IIb hyperlipidemia,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 154, no. 4, pp. 441–449, 1994.
- K. M. Dalessandri, “Multiple methods for reduction of lipoprotein(a),” Atherosclerosis, vol. 163, no. 2, pp. 409–410, 2002.
- M. Akaiek, H. Azuma, A. Kagawa, et al., “Effect of aspirin treatment on serum concentrations of lipoprotein(a) in patients with atherosclerotic diseases,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 48, no. 9, pp. 1454–1459, 2002.
- K. M. Dalessandri, “Reduction of lipoprotein(a) in postmenopausal women,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 161, no. 5, pp. 772–773, 2001.
- G. Derosa, A. F. Cicero, A. Gaddi, A. Mugellini, L. Ciccarelli, and R. Fogari, “The effect of L-carnitine on plasma lipoprotein(a) levels in hypercholesterolemic patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus,” Clinical Therapeutics, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 1429–1439, 2003.
- A. L. White and R. E. Lanford, “Biosynthesis and metabolism of lipoprotein(a),” Current Opinion in Lipidology, vol. 6, pp. 75–80, 1995.
- S. M. Marcovina and J. D. Morrisett, “Structure and metabolism of lipoprotein(a),” Current Opinion in Lipidology, vol. 6, pp. 136–145, 1995.
- J. Thiery, V. W. Armstrong, J. Schleef, C. Creutzfeldt, W. Creutzfeldt, and D. Seidel, “Serum lipoprotein Lp(a) concentrations are not influenced by an HMG CoA reductase inhibitor,” Klinische Wochenschrift, vol. 66, no. 10, pp. 462–463, 1988.
- A. F. Helmbold, “Management of elevated lipoprotein(a) via initial dietary modification and omega 3 fatty acid supplements: a case report,” in Proceedings of the International Symposium on Triglycerides, Metabolic Disorders, and Cardiovascular Disease, New York, NY, USA, July 2003.