- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 176802, 6 pages
The Fruit Fly Drosophila melanogaster as a Model System to Study Cholesterol Metabolism and Homeostasis
1Graduate School of Life and Environmental Sciences, University of Tsukuba, Tennoudai 1-1-1, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8572, Japan
2Initiative for the Promotion of Young Scientists' Independent Research, University of Tsukuba, Tennoudai 1-1-1, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8577, Japan
Received 15 October 2010; Accepted 4 January 2011
Academic Editor: Patrizia M. Tarugi
Copyright © 2011 Ryusuke Niwa and Yuko S. Niwa. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [22 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Takuji Yoshiyama-Yanagawa, Sora Enya, Yuko Shimada-Niwa, Shunsuke Yaguchi, Yoshikazu Haramoto, Takeshi Matsuya, Kensuke Shiomi, Yasunori Sasakura, Shuji Takahashi, Makoto Asashima, Hiroshi Kataoka, and Ryusuke Niwa, “The Conserved Rieske Oxygenase DAF-36/Neverland Is a Novel Cholesterol-metabolizing Enzyme,” Journal Of Biological Chemistry, vol. 286, no. 29, pp. 25756–25762, 2011.
- Fumihiko Igarashi, Juri Hikiba, Mari H. Ogihara, Takayoshi Nakaoka, Minoru Suzuki, and Hiroshi Kataoka, “A highly specific and sensitive quantification analysis of the sterols in silkworm larvae by high performance liquid chromatography-atmospheric pressure chemical ionization-tandem mass spectrometry,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 419, no. 2, pp. 123–132, 2011.
- Ryusuke Niwa, Takashi Sakudoh, Takeshi Matsuya, Toshiki Namiki, Shinji Kasai, Takashi Tomita, and Hiroshi Kataoka, “Expressions of the cytochrome P450 monooxygenase gene Cyp4g1 and its homolog in the prothoracic glands of the fruit fly Drosophila melanogaster (Diptera: Drosophilidae) and the silkworm Bombyx mori (Lepidoptera: Bombycidae),” Applied Entomology And Zoology, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 533–543, 2011.
- Marta Koch, and Matthew Holt, “Coupling exo- and endocytosis: An essential role for PIP2 at the synapse,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Molecular and Cell Biology of Lipids, vol. 1821, no. 8, pp. 1114–1132, 2012.
- Maria Carvalho, Julio L. Sampaio, Wilhelm Palm, Marko Brankatschk, Suzanne Eaton, and Andrej Shevchenko, “Effects of diet and development on the Drosophila lipidome,” Molecular Systems Biology, vol. 8, 2012.
- Artyom Kopp, “Evolutionary Genetics: No Coming Back from Neverland,” Current Biology, vol. 22, no. 23, pp. R1004–R1006, 2012.
- Matthew H. Sieber, and Carl S. Thummel, “Coordination of Triacylglycerol and Cholesterol Homeostasis by DHR96 and the Drosophila LipA Homolog magro,” Cell Metabolism, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 122–127, 2012.
- Xinmei Wang, “Interpretation of Transferred Epithet by Means of Conceptual Integration Theory,” Journal of Language Teaching and Research, vol. 4, no. 5, 2013.
- Xiangfeng Jing, Robert J. Grebenok, and Spencer T. Behmer, “Sterol/steroid metabolism and absorption in a generalist and specialist caterpillar: Effects of dietary sterol/steroid structure, mixture and ratio,” Insect Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, vol. 43, no. 7, pp. 580–587, 2013.
- Taiichi Tsuyama, Jun-ichi Kishikawa, Yong-Woon Han, Yoshie Harada, Asako Tsubouchi, Hiroyuki Noji, Akira Kakizuka, Ken Yokoyama, Tadashi Uemura, and Hiromi Imamura, “ In vivo fluorescent ATP imaging of Drosophila melanogaster and Caenorhabditis elegans by using a genetically encoded fluorescent ATP biosensor optimized for low temperatures ,” Analytical Chemistry, pp. 130722084545005, 2013.
- Juri Hikiba, Mari H. Ogihara, Masatoshi Iga, Kazuki Saito, Yoshinori Fujimoto, Minoru Suzuki, and Hiroshi Kataoka, “Simultaneous quantification of individual intermediate steroids in silkworm ecdysone biosynthesis by liquid chromatography–tandem mass spectrometry with multiple reaction monitoring,” Journal of Chromatography B, vol. 915-916, pp. 52–56, 2013.
- Tomonori Katsuyama, and Renato Paro, “Innate immune cells are dispensable for regenerative growth of imaginal discs,” Mechanisms of Development, vol. 130, no. 2-3, pp. 112–121, 2013.
- Bruno Lemaitre, and Irene Miguel-Aliaga, “ The Digestive Tract of Drosophila melanogaster ,” Annual Review of Genetics, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 377–404, 2013.
- Natapong Jupatanakul, Shuzhen Sim, and George Dimopoulos, “Aedes aegypti ML and Niemann-Pick type C family members are agonists of dengue virus infection,” Developmental & Comparative Immunology, 2013.
- Brandon P. Rhodes, Sara M. Takacs, Patrick Doherty, Arjun Basnet, Giuseppe Tortoriello, Siham Raboune, Heather B. Bradshaw, Jordyn M. Stuart, Theodore S. Widlanski, and Tibor Harkany, “Targeted Lipidomics in Drosophila melanogaster Identifies Novel 2-Monoacylglycerols and N-acyl Amides,” Plos One, vol. 8, no. 7, 2013.
- Vincent Dani, Philippe Ganot, Fabrice Priouzeau, Paola Furla, and Cecile Sabourault, “Are Niemann-Pick type C proteins key players in cnidarian-dinoflagellate endosymbioses?,” Molecular Ecology, 2014.
- Ryusuke Niwa, and Yuko S. Niwa, “Enzymes for ecdysteroid biosynthesis: their biological functions in insects and beyond,” Bioscience, Biotechnology, and Biochemistry, vol. 78, no. 8, pp. 1283–1292, 2014.
- A. R. Cabrera, P. D. Shirk, J. D. Evans, K. Hung, J. Sims, H. Alborn, and P. E. A. Teal, “ Three Halloween genes from the Varroa mite, Varroa destructor (Anderson & Trueman) and their expression during reproduction ,” Insect Molecular Biology, 2014.
- Yuko Shimada-Niwa, and Ryusuke Niwa, “Serotonergic neurons respond to nutrients and regulate the timing of steroid hormone biosynthesis in Drosophila,” Nature Communications, vol. 5, pp. 5778, 2014.
- Anne Gregor, Jamie M. Kramer, Monique van der Voet, Ina Schanze, Steffen Uebe, Rogier Donders, André Reis, Annette Schenck, and Christiane Zweier, “ Altered GPM6A/M6 Dosage Impairs Cognition and Causes Phenotypes Responsive to Cholesterol in Human and Drosophila ,” Human Mutation, vol. 35, no. 12, pp. 1495–1505, 2014.
- Sora Enya, Tomotsune Ameku, Fumihiko Igarashi, Masatoshi Iga, Hiroshi Kataoka, Tetsuro Shinoda, and Ryusuke Niwa, “A Halloween gene noppera-bo encodes a glutathione S-transferase essential for ecdysteroid biosynthesis via regulating the behaviour of cholesterol in Drosophila,” Scientific Reports, vol. 4, pp. 6586, 2014.
- D J Parker, L Vesala, M G Ritchie, A Laiho, A Hoikkala, and M Kankare, “How consistent are the transcriptome changes associated with cold acclimation in two species of the Drosophila virilis group?,” Heredity, 2015.