- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 306278, 10 pages
The Effects of Very-Low-Calorie Diets on HDL: A Review
Centre for Obesity Research and Epidemiology, Robert Gordon University, St. Andrew Street, Aberdeen AB24 3LR, UK
Received 30 August 2010; Accepted 25 November 2010
Academic Editor: Andrew Brown
Copyright © 2011 Catherine Rolland and Iain Broom. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. B. van Itallie, “Liquid protein mayhem,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 240, no. 2, pp. 144–145, 1978.
- Center for Disease Control, Liquid Protein Diets. Public Health Service Report, Center for Disease Control, Atlanta, Ga, USA, 1979.
- W. H. Saris, “Very-low-calorie diets and sustained weight loss,” Obesity Research, vol. 9, supplement 4, pp. 295S–301S, 2001.
- T. A. Wadden, “Treatment of obesity by moderate and severe caloric restriction: results of clinical research trials,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 119, no. 7, part 2, pp. 688–693, 1993.
- A. Avenell, J. Broom, T. J. Brown et al., “Systematic review of the long-term effects and economic consequences of treatments for obesity and implications for health improvement,” Health Technology Assessment, vol. 8, no. 21, pp. 1–182, 2004.
- A. D. Mooradian, M. J. Haas, K. R. Wehmeier, and N. C. W. Wong, “Obesity-related changes in high-density lipoprotein metabolism,” Obesity, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 1152–1160, 2008.
- B. S. Fong, P. O. Rodrigues, and A. M. Salter, “Characterization of high density lipoprotein binding to human adipocyte plasma membranes,” The Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 75, no. 6, pp. 1804–1812, 1985.
- T. Shoji, Y. Nishizawa, H. Koyama et al., “Lipoprotein metabolism in normolipidemic obese women during very low calorie diet: changes in high density lipoprotein,” Journal of Nutritional Science and Vitaminology, vol. 37, pp. S57–64, 1991.
- P. P. Toth, “High-density lipoprotein as a therapeutic target: clinical evidence and treatment strategies,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 96, no. 9, pp. 50K–58K, 2005.
- A. R. Tall, “Plasma high density lipoproteins. Metabolism and relationship to atherogenesis,” The Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 86, no. 2, pp. 379–384, 1990.
- A. D. Mooradian, M. J. Haas, and N. C. W. Wong, “The effect of select nutrients on serum high-density lipoprotein cholesterol and apolipoprotein A-I levels,” Endocrine Reviews, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 2–16, 2006.
- K. Hong, Z. Li, H. J. Wang, R. Elashoff, and D. Heber, “Analysis of weight loss outcomes using VLCD in black and white overweight and obese women with and without metabolic syndrome,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 436–442, 2005.
- K. Clément, N. Viguerie, C. Poitou et al., “Weight loss regulates inflammation-related genes in white adipose tissue of obese subjects,” The FASEB Journal, vol. 18, no. 14, pp. 1657–1669, 2004.
- S. B. Haugaard, A. Vaag, C.-E. Høy, and S. Madsbad, “Desaturation of skeletal muscle structural and depot lipids in obese individuals during a very-low-calorie diet intervention,” Obesity, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 117–125, 2007.
- D. E. Laaksonen, S. Kainulainen, A. Rissanen, and L. Niskanen, “Relationships between changes in abdominal fat distribution and insulin sensitivity during a very low calorie diet in abdominally obese men and women,” Nutrition, Metabolism and Cardiovascular Diseases, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 349–356, 2003.
- W.-Y. Lin, C.-H. Wu, N.-F. Chu, and C.-J. Chang, “Efficacy and safety of very-low-calorie diet in Taiwanese: a multicenter randomized, controlled trial,” Nutrition, vol. 25, no. 11-12, pp. 1129–1136, 2009.
- T. Christiansen, S. K. Paulsen, J. M. Bruun, S. B. Pedersen, and B. Richelsen, “Exercise training versus diet-induced weight-loss on metabolic risk factors and inflammatory markers in obese subjects: a 12-week randomized intervention study,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 298, no. 4, pp. E824–E831, 2010.
- M. Fogelholm, K. Kukkonen-Harjula, A. Nenonen, and M. Pasanen, “Effects of walking training on weight maintenance after a very-low- energy diet in premenopausal obese women: a randomized controlled trial,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 160, no. 14, pp. 2177–2184, 2000.
- C. Rolland, M. Hession, S. Murray, A. Wise, and I. Broom, “Randomized clinical trial of standard dietary treatment versus low-carbohydrate/high-protein diet or the LighterLife Programme in the management of obesity,” Journal of Diabetes, vol. 1, 217 pages, 2009.
- T. Pekkarinen, I. Takala, and P. Mustajoki, “Weight loss with very-low-calorie diet and cardiovascular risk factors in moderately obese women: one-year follow-up study including ambulatory blood pressure monitoring,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 22, no. 7, pp. 661–666, 1998.
- R. R. Wing, M. D. Marcus, R. Salata, L. H. Epstein, S. Miaskiewicz, and E. H. Blair, “Effects of a very-low-calorie diet on long-term glycemic control in obese type 2 diabetic subjects,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 151, no. 7, pp. 1334–1340, 1991.
- B. Richelsen, S. Tonstad, S. Rössner et al., “Effect of orlistat on weight regain and cardiovascular risk factors following a very-low-energy diet in abdominally obese patients: a 3-year randomized, placebo-controlled study,” Diabetes Care, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 27–32, 2007.
- N. Erondu, T. Wadden, I. Gantz et al., “Effect of NPY5R antagonist MK-0557 on weight regain after very-low-calorie diet-induced weight loss,” Obesity, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 895–905, 2007.
- M. V. Heinonen, D. E. Laaksonen, T. Karhu et al., “Effect of diet-induced weight loss on plasma apelin and cytokine levels in individuals with the metabolic syndrome,” Nutrition, Metabolism and Cardiovascular Diseases, vol. 19, no. 9, pp. 626–633, 2009.
- M. Apfelbaum, P. Vague, O. Ziegler, C. Hanotin, F. Thomas, and E. Leutenegger, “Long-term maintenance of weight loss after a very-low-calorie diet: a randomized blinded trial of the efficacy and tolerability of sibutramine,” The American Journal of Medicine, vol. 106, no. 2, pp. 179–184, 1999.
- R. B. Paisey, J. Frost, P. Harvey et al., “Five year results of a prospective very low calorie diet or conventional weight loss programme in type 2 diabetes,” Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 121–127, 2002.
- E. A. Delbridge, L. A. Prendergast, J. E. Pritchard, and J. Proietto, “One-year weight maintenance after significant weight loss in healthy overweight and obese subjects: does diet composition matter?” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 90, no. 5, pp. 1203–1214, 2009.
- S. B. Haugaard, A. Vaag, H. Mu, and S. Madsbad, “Skeletal muscle structural lipids improve during weight-maintenance after a very low calorie dietary intervention,” Lipids in Health and Disease, vol. 8, article 34, 2009.
- T. Shoji, Y. Nishizawa, H. Koyama et al., “High-density-lipoprotein metabolism during a very-low-calorie diet,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 297S–298S, 1992.
- K. V. Williams, M. L. Mullen, D. E. Kelley, and R. R. Wing, “The effect of short periods of caloric restriction on weight loss and glycemic control in type 2 diabetes,” Diabetes Care, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 2–8, 1998.
- H. Lantz, M. Peltonen, L. Ågren, and J. S. Torgerson, “Intermittent versus on-demand use of a very low calorie diet: a randomized 2-year clinical trial,” Journal of Internal Medicine, vol. 253, no. 4, pp. 463–471, 2003.
- G. D. Foster, T. A. Wadden, F. J. Peterson, K. A. Letizia, S. J. Bartlett, and A. M. Conill, “A controlled comparison of three very-low-calorie diets: effects on weight, body composition, and symptoms,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 811–817, 1992.
- M. Ohno, J. Miura, K. Arai, S. Tsukahara, and Y. Ikeda, “The efficacy and metabolic effects of two different regimens of very low calorie diet,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 79–85, 1989.
- S. Rössner and H. Flaten, “VLCD versus LCD in long-term treatment of obesity,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 22–26, 1997.
- S. Rashid and J. Genest, “Effect of obesity on high-density lipoprotein metabolism,” Obesity, vol. 15, no. 12, pp. 2875–2888, 2007.
- M. Dobiášová and J. Frohlich, “Understanding the mechanism of LCAT reaction may help to explain the high predictive value of LDL/HDL cholesterol ratio,” Physiological Research, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 387–397, 1998.
- A. M. Dattilo and P. M. Kris-Etherton, “Effects of weight reduction on blood lipids and lipoproteins: a meta-analysis,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 320–328, 1992.
- O. L. Svendsen, C. Hassager, and C. Christiansen, “Six months' follow-up on exercise added to a short-term diet in overweight postmenopausal women—effects on body composition, resting metabolic rate, cardiovascular risk factors and bone,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 18, no. 10, pp. 692–698, 1994.
- K. R. Wilund, R. E. Ferrell, D. A. Phares, A. P. Goldberg, and J. M. Hagberg, “Changes in high-density lipoprotein-cholesterol subfractions with exercise training may be dependent on cholesteryl ester transfer protein (CETP) genotype,” Metabolism: Clinical and Experimental, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 774–778, 2002.
- A. Halverstadt, D. A. Phares, R. E. Ferrell, K. R. Wilund, A. P. Goldberg, and J. M. Hagberg, “High-density lipoprotein-cholesterol, its subfractions, and responses to exercise training are dependent on endothelial lipase genotype,” Metabolism: Clinical and Experimental, vol. 52, no. 11, pp. 1505–1511, 2003.
- M. Hession, C. Rolland, U. Kulkarni, A. Wise, and J. Broom, “Systematic review of randomized controlled trials of low-carbohydrate vs. low-fat/low-calorie diets in the management of obesity and its comorbidities,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 36–50, 2009.
- E. M.H. Mathus-Vliegen, “Long-term maintenance of weight loss with sibutramine in a GP setting following a specialist guided very-low-calorie diet: a double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel group study,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 59, supplement 1, pp. S31–S39, 2005.
- N. Finer, S. Finer, and R. P. Naoumova, “Drug therapy after very-low-calorie diets,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 195S–198S, 1992.
- J. D. LeCheminant, D. J. Jacobsen, M. A. Hall, and J. E. Donnelly, “A comparison of meal replacements and medication in weight maintenance after weight loss,” Journal of the American College of Nutrition, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 347–353, 2005.