- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 920983, 7 pages
Prevalence of Metabolic Syndrome in Urban India
1Research Laboratories, P. D. Hinduja National Hospital & Medical Research Centre, Mumbai 400016, India
2Department of Preventive Medicine, Grant Medical College and Sir J. J. Hospital, Mumbai 400016, India
3Department Laboratory Medicine, P. D. Hinduja National Hospital & Medical Research Centre, Veer Savarkar Marg, Mahim, Mumbai 400016, India
Received 26 November 2010; Revised 21 February 2011; Accepted 16 March 2011
Academic Editor: Jean Davignon
Copyright © 2011 Apurva Sawant et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. Borch-Johnsen, “The metabolic syndrome in a global perspective. The public health impact,” Danish Medical Bulletin, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 157–159, 2007.
- S. Goenka, D. Prabhakaran, V. S. Ajay, and K. S. Reddy, “Preventing cardiovascular disease in India—Translating evidence to action,” Current Science, vol. 97, no. 3, pp. 367–377, 2009.
- K. S. Reddy, D. Prabhakaran, V. Chaturvedi et al., “Methods for establishing a surveillance system for cardiovascular diseases in Indian industrial populations,” Bulletin of the World Health Organization, vol. 84, no. 6, pp. 461–469, 2006.
- S. M. Grundy, “Metabolic syndrome pandemic,” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 629–636, 2008.
- S. M. Grundy, “Metabolic syndrome: a multiplex cardiovascular risk factor,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 92, no. 2, pp. 399–404, 2007.
- E. A. Enas, V. Mohan, M. Deepa, S. Farooq, S. Pazhoor, and H. Chennikkara, “The metabolic syndrome and dyslipidemia among Asian Indians: a population with high rates of diabetes and premature coronary artery disease,” Journal of the Cardiometabolic Syndrome, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 267–275, 2007.
- P. Nestel, R. Lyu, P. L. Lip et al., “Metabolic syndrome: recent prevalence in East and Southeast Asian populations,” Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 362–367, 2007.
- D. Eapen, G. L. Kalra, N. Merchant, A. Arora, and B. V. Khan, “Metabolic syndrome and cardiovascular disease in South Asians,” Vascular Health and Risk Management, vol. 5, pp. 731–743, 2009.
- J. I. Cleeman, “Executive summary of the third report of the National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) expert panel on detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood cholesterol in adults (adult treatment panel III),” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 285, no. 19, pp. 2486–2497, 2001.
- American Diabetes Association, “Diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus,” Diabetes Care, vol. 29, supplement, pp. S43–S48, 2006.
- A. Misra, P. Chowbey, B. M. Makkar et al., “Consensus statement for diagnosis of obesity, abdominal obesity and the metabolic syndrome for Asian Indians and recommendations for physical activity, medical and surgical management,” Journal of Association of Physicians of India, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 163–170, 2009.
- E. A. Enas, V. Chacko, S. G. Pazhoor, H. Chennikkara, and H. P. Devarapalli, “Dyslipidemia in South Asian patients,” Current Atherosclerosis Reports, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 367–374, 2007.
- A. Misra and L. Khurana, “The metabolic syndrome in South Asians: epidemiology, clinical correlates and possible solutions,” International Diabetes Monitor, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 92–101, 2009.
- D. Prabhakaran, V. Chaturvedi, P. Shah et al., “Differences in the prevalence of metabolic syndrome in urban and rural India: a problem of urbanization,” Chronic Illness, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 8–19, 2007.
- A. Misra and L. Khurana, “The metabolic syndrome in South Asians: epidemiology, determinants, and prevention,” Metabolic Syndrome and Related Disorders, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 497–514, 2009.
- C. K. Chow, S. Naidu, K. Raju et al., “Significant lipid, adiposity and metabolic abnormalities amongst 4535 Indians from a developing region of rural Andhra Pradesh,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 196, no. 2, pp. 943–952, 2008.
- M. Deepa, S. Farooq, M. Datta, R. Deepa, and V. Mohan, “Prevalence of metabolic syndrome using WHO, ATPIII and IDF definitions in Asian Indians: the Chennai Urban Rural Epidemiology Study (CURES-34),” Diabetes, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 127–134, 2007.
- E. A. Enas, S. Yusuf, and J. L. Mehta, “Prevalence of coronary artery disease in Asian Indians,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 70, no. 9, pp. 945–949, 1992.
- A. M. Sawant, D. Shetty, R. Mankeshwar, and T. F. Ashavaid, “Prevalence of dyslipidemia in young adult Indian population,” Journal of Association of Physicians of India, vol. 56, pp. 99–102, 2008.
- S. M. Grundy, “Obesity, metabolic syndrome, and cardiovascular disease,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 89, no. 6, pp. 2595–2600, 2004.
- A. Ramachandran, C. Snehalatha, K. Satyavani, S. Sivasankari, and V. Vijay, “Metabolic syndrome in urban Asian Indian adults—a population study using modified ATP III criteria,” Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 199–204, 2003.
- V. Mohan, S. Shanthirani, R. Deepa, G. Premalatha, N. G. Sastry, and R. Saroja, “Intra-urban differences in the prevalence of the metabolic syndrome in southern India—the Chennai Urban Population Study (CUPS No. 4),” Diabetic Medicine, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 280–287, 2001.
- S. M. Grundy, “A changing paradigm for prevention of cardiovascular disease: emergence of the metabolic syndrome as a multiplex risk factor,” European Heart Journal, vol. 10, supplement, pp. B16–B23, 2008.