- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 231962, 5 pages
Trends of Components of the Metabolic Syndrome in German First Graders Throughout 10 Years: The PEP Family Heart Study
1Arteriosklerose-Präventions-Institut, 81477 München, Germany
2Institute of Clinical Chemistry, Klinikum Nürnberg, 90419 Nürnberg, Germany
3Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München, 80539 München, Germany
Received 24 April 2012; Accepted 16 May 2012
Academic Editor: Roya Kelishadi
Copyright © 2012 Gerda-Maria Haas et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. L. Ogden, S. Z. Yanovski, M. D. Carroll, and K. M. Flegal, “The epidemiology of obesity,” Gastroenterology, vol. 132, no. 6, pp. 2087–2102, 2007.
- R. Kelishadi, “Childhood overweight, obesity, and the metabolic syndrome in developing countries,” Epidemiologic Reviews, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 62–76, 2007.
- P. Schwandt, R. Kelishadi, and G. M. Haas, “Ethnic disparities of the metabolic syndrome in population-based samples of German and Iranian adolescents,” Metabolic Syndrome and Related Disorders, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 189–192, 2010.
- P. Schwandt, R. Kelishadi, R. Q. C. Ribeiro, G. M. Haas, and P. Poursafa, “A three-country study on the components of the metabolic syndrome in youths: the BIG Study,” International Journal of Pediatric Obesity, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 334–341, 2010.
- Y. Wang and T. Lobstein, “Worldwide trends in childhood overweight and obesity,” International Journal of Pediatric Obesity, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 11–25, 2006.
- B. Rokholm, J. L. Baker, and T. I. A. Sørensen, “The levelling off of the obesity epidemic since the year 1999—a review of evidence and perspectives,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 11, no. 12, pp. 835–846, 2010.
- J. C. Han, D. A. Lawlor, and S. Y. Kimm, “Childhood obesity,” The Lancet, vol. 375, no. 9727, pp. 1737–1748, 2010.
- P. Zimmet, G. Alberti, F. Kaufman et al., “The metabolic syndrome in children and adolescents,” The Lancet, vol. 369, no. 9579, pp. 2059–2061, 2007.
- S. P. Garnett, L. A. Baur, and C. T. Cowell, “The prevalence of increased central adiposity in Australian school children 1985 to 2007,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 12, pp. 887–896, 2011.
- H. S. Kahn, G. Imperatore, and Y. J. Cheng, “A population-based comparison of BMI percentiles and waist-to-height ratio for identifying cardiovascular risk in youth,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 146, no. 4, pp. 482–488, 2005.
- A. Datar, V. Shier, and R. Sturm, “Changes in body mass during elementary and middle school in a national cohort of Kindergarteners,” Pediatrics, vol. 128, pp. e1411–e1417, 2011.
- P. Schwandt, H. C. Geiß, M. M. Ritter et al., “The Prevention Education Program (PEP). A prospective study of the efficacy of family-oriented life style modification in the reduction of cardiovascular risk and disease: design and baseline data,” Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, vol. 52, no. 8, pp. 791–800, 1999.
- C. L. Ogden, M. D. Carroll, B. K. Kit, and K. M. Flegal, “Prevalence of obesity and trends in body mass index among US children and adolescents 1999–2010,” Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association, vol. 307, pp. 483–490, 2012.
- R. R. Kipping, R. Jago, and D. A. Lawlor, “Obesity in children. Part 1: epidemiology, measurement, risk factors, and screening,” British Medical Journal, vol. 337, no. 7675, pp. 922–927, 2008.
- E. Sundblom, M. Petzold, F. Rasmussen, E. Callmer, and L. Lissner, “Childhood overweight and obesity prevalences levelling off in Stockholm but socioeconomic differences persist,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 32, no. 10, pp. 1525–1530, 2008.
- L. A. Moreno, A. Sarría, J. Fleta, A. Marcos, and M. Bueno, “Secular trends in waist circumference in Spanish adolescents, 1995 to 2000–02,” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 90, no. 8, pp. 818–819, 2005.
- H. D. McCarthy, S. M. Ellis, and T. J. Cole, “Central overweight and obesity in British youth aged 11–16 years: cross sectional surveys of waist circumference,” British Medical Journal, vol. 326, no. 7390, pp. 624–626, 2003.
- H. D. McCarthy, K. V. Jarrett, P. M. Emmett, and I. Rogers, “Trends in waist circumferences in young British children: a comparative study,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 157–162, 2005.
- P. Schwandt and G. M. Haas, “Waist circumference in children and adolescents from different ethnicities,” in Childhood Obesity, Sevil Ari Yuca, Ed., chapter 4, 2012, http://www.intechopen.com.
- D. I'Allemand, S. Wiegand, T. Reinehr et al., “Cardiovascular risk in 26,008 European overweight children as established by a multicenter database,” Obesity, vol. 16, no. 7, pp. 1672–1679, 2008.
- C. Meigen, A. Keller, R. Gausche et al., “Secular trends in body mass index in German children and adolescents: a cross-sectional data analysis via CrescNet between 1999 and 2006,” Metabolism, vol. 57, no. 7, pp. 934–939, 2008.
- H. Kalies, J. Lenz, and R. von Kries, “Prevalence of overweight and obesity and trends in body mass index in German pre-school children, 1982–1997,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 26, no. 9, pp. 1211–1217, 2002.
- K. Kromeyer-Hauschild and K. Zellner, “Trends in overweight and obesity and changes in the distribution of body mass index in schoolchildren of Jena, East Germany,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 404–411, 2007.
- A. Moss, J. Klenk, K. Simon, H. Thaiss, T. Reinehr, and M. Wabitsch, “Declining prevalence rates for overweight and obesity in German children starting school,” European Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 171, pp. 289–299, 2011.
- K. A. Madsen, A. E. Weedn, and P. B. Crawford, “Disparities in peaks, plateaus, and declines in prevalence of high BMI among adolescents,” Pediatrics, vol. 126, no. 3, pp. 434–442, 2010.