- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 292598, 19 pages
Cholesterol: Its Regulation and Role in Central Nervous System Disorders
1Institut für Laboratoriumsmedizin, Vinzenz von Paul Kliniken gGmbH, Adlerstra
2Dipartimento di Scienze Farmacologiche e Biomolecolari, Facoltà di Farmacia, Università di Milano, Via Balzaretti 9, 20133 Milano, Italy
Received 6 July 2012; Revised 3 September 2012; Accepted 10 September 2012
Academic Editor: Gloria L. Vega
Copyright © 2012 Matthias Orth and Stefano Bellosta. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [41 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Laura Anchisi, Sandra Dessì, Alessandra Pani, and Antonella Mandas, “Cholesterol homeostasis: A key to prevent or slow down neurodegeneration,” Frontiers in Physiology, vol. 3, 2013.
- H. Bobby Fokidis, Hans H. Adomat, Geetanjali Kharmate, Elham Hosseini-Beheshti, Emma S. Guns, and Kiran K. Soma, “Regulation of local steroidogenesis in the brain and in prostate cancer: Lessons learned from interdisciplinary collaboration,” Frontiers in Neuroendocrinology, 2014.
- Cynthia Hong, and Peter Tontonoz, “Liver X receptors in lipid metabolism: opportunities for drug discovery,” Nature Reviews Drug Discovery, 2014.
- B. Kansy, “Erkrankungen der Halslymphknoten im Kindesalter,” Laryngo-Rhino-Otologie, vol. 93, pp. S49–S69, 2014.
- Hassan I. Hassan El-Sayyad, “Cholesterol overload impairing cerebellar function: the promise of natural products,” Nutrition, 2014.
- Amelia J. McFarland, Shailendra Anoopkumar-Dukie, Devinder S. Arora, Gary D. Grant, Catherine M. McDermott, Anthony V. Perkins, and Andrew K. Davey, “Molecular Mechanisms Underlying the Effects of Statins in the Central Nervous System,” International Journal Of Molecular Sciences, vol. 15, no. 11, pp. 20607–20637, 2014.
- Prudence Tettey, and Ingrid AF van der Mei, “Lipids in multiple sclerosis: adverse lipid profiles, disability and disease progression,” Clinical Lipidology, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 473–475, 2014.
- Marko Brankatschk, Sebastian Dunst, Linda Nemetschke, and Suzanne Eaton, “Delivery of circulating lipoproteins to specific neurons in the Drosophila brain regulates systemic insulin signaling,” eLife, vol. 3, 2014.
- Digvijay G. Rana, Amrutlal K. Patel, Chaitanya G. Joshi, Mayurdhvaj K. Jhala, and Ramesh K. Goyal, “ Alteration in the expression of exon IIC transcripts of brain-derived neurotrophic factor gene by simvastain in chronic mild stress in mice: a possible link with dopaminergic pathway ,” Canadian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, pp. 985–992, 2014.
- Prudence Tettey, Steve Simpson, Bruce V. Taylor, and Ingrid van der Mei, “Vascular comorbidities in the onset and progression of multiple sclerosis,” Journal of the Neurological Sciences, 2014.
- A. S. Mello, M. P. Goldim, J. Mezzalira, C. S. Garcia, V. V. Daitz, C. D. Castilhos, M. S. Viegas, O. V. Vieira, and J. C. Coelho, “LAMP2 as a marker of EBV-mediated B lymphocyte transformation in the study of lysosomal storage diseases,” Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 385, no. 1-2, pp. 1–6, 2014.
- Alcibiades E. Villarreal, Rachel Barron, K. S. Rao, and Gabrielle B. Britton, “The Effects of Impaired Cerebral Circulation on Alzheimer's Disease Pathology: Evidence from Animal Studies,” Journal of Alzheimers Disease, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 707–722, 2014.
- Israel José Pereira Garcia, Paula Fernanda Kinoshita, Cristoforo Scavone, Julio Alberto Mignaco, Leandro Augusto de Oliveira Barbosa, and Hérica de Lima Santos, “Ouabain Modulates the Lipid Composition of Hippocampal Plasma Membranes from Rats with LPS-induced Neuroinflammation,” The Journal of Membrane Biology, 2015.
- Rida Rashid, Fatima Ameer, Hubert Kalbacher, Lisa Scandiuzzi, and Nousheen Zaidi, “Aberrant de novo cholesterogenesis: Clinical significance and implications,” Clinica Chimica Acta, 2015.
- John A. Ajiboye, Ochuko L. Erukainure, Babatunde A. Lawal, Viola A. Nwachukwu, Adesewa O. Tugbobo-Amisu, and Ebelechukwu N. Okafor, “Comparative alteration in atherogenic indices and hypocholesteremic effect of palm oil and palm oil mill effluent in normal albino rats,” Heliyon, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. e00010, 2015.
- Saloni Pasta, Omoye Akhile, Dorothy Tabron, Flora Ting, Cedric Shackleton, and Gordon Watson, “Delivery of the 7-dehydrocholesterol reductase gene to the central nervous system using adeno-associated virus vector in a mouse model of Smith-Lemli-Opitz Syndrome,” Molecular Genetics and Metabolism Reports, vol. 4, pp. 92–98, 2015.
- Feng Zhu, Domenico L. Gatti, and King H. Yang, “Nodal versus Total Axonal Strain and the Role of Cholesterol in Traumatic Brain Injury,” Journal of Neurotrauma, 2015.
- Chiara Giorgi, Catia Fausto, Carla Pardini, Marcella Simili, Renata Del Carratore, and Francesca Vaglini, “Effect of itraconazole on mouse mesencephalic neurons,” International Journal of Developmental Neuroscience, 2015.
- Alessandra Pecorelli, Giuseppe Belmonte, Ilaria Meloni, Franco Cervellati, Concetta Gardi, Claudia Sticozzi, Claudio De Felice, Cinzia Signorini, Alessio Cortelazzo, Silvia Leoncini, Lucia Ciccoli, Alessandra Renieri, Henry Jay Forman, Joussef Hayek, and Giuseppe Valacchi, “Alteration of serum lipid profqile, SRB1 loss and impaired Nrf2 activation in CDKL5 disorder,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, 2015.
- Elisabeth Janecek, Esther Wilk, Klaus Schughart, Robert Geffers, and Christina Strube, “Microarray gene expression analysis reveals major differences between Toxocara canis and Toxocara cati neurotoxocarosis and involvement of T. canis in lipid biosynthetic processes,” International Journal for Parasitology, 2015.
- Seungmoon Jung, Yong Jeong, and Daejong Jeon, “Epileptic activity during early postnatal life in the AY-9944 model of atypical absence epilepsy,” Cell Calcium, 2015.
- I. Pedros, D. Petrov, G. Artiach, S. Abad, C. Ramon-Duaso, F. Sureda, M. Pallas, C. Beas-Zarate, J. Folch, and A. Camins, “Adipokine pathways are altered in hippocampus of an experimental mouse model of Alzheimer's disease,” Journal Of Nutrition Health & Aging, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 403–412, 2015.
- Barbara B. Raddatz, Annika Lehmbecker, Arno Kalkuhl, Ulrich Deschl, Wolfgang Baumgärtner, and Reiner Ulrich, “Transcriptional analysis of glial cell differentiation in postnatal murine spinal cord,” International Journal of Developmental Neuroscience, 2015.
- Hajnalka Lőrincz, Mariann Harangi, Anna V. Oláh, Gabriella P. Szabó, Péter Fülöp, Sándor Somodi, György Paragh, and Ildikó Seres, “Altered lipid subfraction profile and impaired antioxidant defense of high-density lipoprotein in Smith-Lemli-Opitz syndrome,” Pediatric Research, vol. 77, no. 5, pp. 703–709, 2015.
- N. S. Yudin, T. M. Mishakova, E. V. Ignatieva, V. N. Maksimov, V. V. Gafarov, S. K. Malyutina, and M. I. Voevod, “Association of dopamine receptor D4 (DRD4) gene polymorphism with cardiovascular disease risk factors,” Russian Journal of Genetics: Applied Research, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 650–655, 2015.
- Shahin Mohammadi, Baharak Saberidokht, Shankar Subramaniam, and Ananth Grama, “Scope and limitations of yeast as a model organism for studying human tissue-specific pathways,” BMC Systems Biology, vol. 9, no. 1, 2015.
- Jieun Lee, Joseph Choi, G. William Wong, and Michael J. Wolfgang, “Neurometabolic roles of ApoE and Ldl-R in mouse brain,” Journal of Bioenergetics and Biomembranes, 2015.
- Shao-Hua Yang, Wenjun Li, Nathalie Sumien, Michael Forster, James W. Simpkins, and Ran Liu, “Alternative Mitochondrial Electron Transfer for the Treatment of Neurodegenerative Diseases and Cancers: Methylene Blue Connects the Dots.,” Progress in Neurobiology, 2015.
- Lidia A. Gardner, and Michael C. Levin, “Importance of Apolipoprotein A-I in Multiple Sclerosis,” Frontiers in Pharmacology, vol. 6, 2015.
- W. Li, R. Wang, S. Zhang, and X. Li, “DAMP, an acidotropic pH indicator, can be used as a tool to visualize non-esterified cholesterol in cells,” Acta Biochimica et Biophysica Sinica, 2015.
- Wei-Wei Ma, Chao-Qun Li, Huan-Ling Yu, Dan-Di Zhang, Yuan-Di Xi, Jing Han, Quan-Ri Liu, and Rong Xiao, “The Oxysterol 27-Hydroxycholesterol Increases Oxidative Stress and Regulate Nrf2 Signaling Pathway in Astrocyte Cells,” Neurochemical Research, 2015.
- Valerio Leoni, and Claudio Caccia, “The impairment of cholesterol metabolism in Huntington Disease,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Molecular and Cell Biology of Lipids, 2015.
- Bartholomew J. Naughton, F. Jason Duncan, Darren A. Murrey, Aaron S. Meadows, David E. Newsom, Nicoleta Stoicea, Peter White, Douglas W. Scharre, Douglas M. Mccarty, and Haiyan Fu, “Blood Genome-Wide Transcriptional Profiles Reflect Broad Molecular Impairments and Strong Blood-Brain Links in Alzheimer's Disease,” Journal of Alzheimers Disease, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 93–108, 2015.
- Nadine E Stephenson, and Simon F Crowe, “Statin Use, Ageing, and Cognition: A Review,” Australian Psychologist, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 188–205, 2016.
- Gemma M. Parkinson, Christopher V. Dayas, and Doug W. Smith, “Perturbed cholesterol homeostasis in aging spinal cord,” Neurobiology of Aging, 2016.
- Philip Loziuk, Florian Meier, Caroline Johnson, H. Troy Ghashghaei, and David C. Muddiman, “TransOmic analysis of forebrain sections in Sp2 conditional knockout embryonic mice using IR-MALDESI imaging of lipids and LC-MS/MS label-free proteomics,” Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, 2016.
- Jane Y. Chen, Conny Tran, Lin Hwang, Gang Deng, Michael E. Jung, Kym F. Faull, Michael S. Levine, and Carlos Cepeda, “Partial Amelioration of Peripheral and Central Symptoms of Huntington’s Disease via Modulation of Lipid Metabolism,” Journal of Huntington's Disease, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 65–81, 2016.
- Hong Wang, Matthew D. Taussig, Nicholas V. DiPatrizio, Kimberley Bruce, Daniele Piomelli, and Robert H. Eckel, “Obesity development in neuron-specific lipoprotein lipase deficient mice is not responsive to increased dietary fat content or change in fat composition,” Metabolism, 2016.
- Ashley M. Driver, Lisa E. Kratz, Richard I. Kelley, and Rolf W. Stottmann, “Altered cholesterol biosynthesis causes precocious neurogenesis in the developing mouse forebrain,” Neurobiology of Disease, 2016.
- Anna Maria Giudetti, Adele Romano, Angelo Michele Lavecchia, and Silvana Gaetani, “The Role of Brain Cholesterol and its Oxidized Products in Alzheimer's Disease,” Current Alzheimer Research, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 198–205, 2016.
- Siti Zuraidah Mohamad Zobir, Fazlin Mohd Fauzi, Sonia Liggi, Georgios Drakakis, Xianjun Fu, Tai-Ping Fan, and Andreas Bender, “Global Mapping of Traditional Chinese Medicine into Bioactivity Space and Pathways Annotation Improves Mechanistic Understanding and Discovers Relationships between Therapeutic Action (Sub)classes,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2016, pp. 1–25, 2016.