- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 374168, 2 pages
Pediatric Metabolic Syndrome: From Prevention to Treatment
1Pediatrics Department, Child Growth and Development Research Center, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, 81676-36954 Isfahan, Iran
2Environmental Engineering Department, Environment Research Center, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
3Preventive Cardiology Department, Children's Hospital Boston, Boston, MA, USA
4Arteriosklerose-Präventions-Institut, University of Munich, Munich, Germany
5Clinical Biochemistry, The Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
6Cardiology Department, Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey
7Nemours Cardiac Center, Alfred I. DuPont Children’s Hospital and Thomas Jefferson University, Wilmington, DE, USA
Received 8 October 2012; Accepted 8 October 2012
Copyright © 2012 Roya Kelishadi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Kelishadi, “Childhood overweight, obesity, and the metabolic syndrome in developing countries,” Epidemiologic Reviews, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 62–76, 2007.
- N. Halfon, P. A. Verhoef, and A. A. Kuo, “Childhood antecedents to adult cardiovascular disease,” Pediatrics in Review, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 51–61, 2012.
- N. Gupta, K. Goel, P. Shah, and A. Misra, “Childhood obesity in developing countries: epidemiology, determinants, and prevention,” Endocrine Reviews, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 48–70, 2012.
- M. van Vliet, M. W. Heymans, I. A. von Rosenstiel, D. P. M. Brandjes, J. H. Beijnen, and M. Diamant, “Cardiometabolic risk variables in overweight and obese children: a worldwide comparison,” Cardiovascular Diabetology, vol. 10, article 106, 2011.
- L. Stoner, K. R. Stoner, J. M. Young, and S Fryer, “Preventing a cardiovascular disease epidemic among indigenous populations through lifestyle changes,” International Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 3, pp. 230–240, 2012.
- P. T. Bradshaw, K. L. Monda, and J. Stevens, “Metabolic syndrome in healthy obese, overweight, and normal weight individuals: the atherosclerosis risk in communities study,” Obesity. In press.
- V. Nobili, G. Bedogni, R. Berni Canani et al., “The potential role of fatty liver in paediatric metabolic syndrome: a distinct phenotype with high metabolic risk?” Pediatric Obesity. In press.
- S. Gökçe, Z. Atbinici, Z. Aycan, H. G. Çinar, and P. Zorlu, “The relationship between pediatric nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and cardiovascular risk factors and increased risk of atherosclerosis in obese children,” Pediatric Cardiology. In press.
- R. Kelishadi and P. Poursafa, “Obesity and air pollution: global risk factors for pediatric non-alcoholic fatty liver disease,” Hepatitis Monthly, vol. 11, no. 10, pp. 794–802, 2011.
- C. P. Day and O. F. W. James, “Steatohepatitis: a tale of two “Hits“?” Gastroenterology, vol. 114, no. 4 I, pp. 842–845, 1998.
- R. Kelishadi, N. Mirghaffari, P. Poursafa, and S. S. Gidding, “Lifestyle and environmental factors associated with inflammation, oxidative stress and insulin resistance in children,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 203, no. 1, pp. 311–319, 2009.
- R. D. Brook, S. Rajagopalan, C. A. Pope et al., “Particulate matter air pollution and cardiovascular disease: an update to the scientific statement from the american heart association,” Circulation, vol. 121, no. 21, pp. 2331–2378, 2010.
- P. Poursafa and R. Kelishadi, “Air pollution, platelet activation and atherosclerosis,” Inflammation and Allergy, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 387–392, 2010.
- K. D. Sinclair, R. G. Lea, W. D. Rees, and L. E. Young, “The developmental origins of health and disease: current theories and epigenetic mechanisms,” Society of Reproduction and Fertility, vol. 64, supplement, pp. 425–443, 2007.
- G. F. Kerkhof, P. E. Breukhoven, R. W. J. Leunissen, R. H. Willemsen, and A. C. S. Hokken-Koelega, “Does preterm birth influence cardiovascular risk in early adulthood?” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 161, no. 3, pp. 390–396.e1, 2012.
- R. Kelishadi, P. Poursafa, and K. Keramatian, “Overweight, air and noise pollution: universal risk factors for pediatric pre-hypertension,” Journal of Research in Medical Sciences, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 1234–1250, 2011.
- F. Grün and B. Blumberg, “Environmental obesogens: organotins and endocrine disruption via nuclear receptor signaling,” Endocrinology, vol. 147, no. 6, pp. S50–S55, 2006.
- F. Grün and B. Blumberg, “Minireview: the case for obesogens,” Molecular Endocrinology, vol. 23, no. 8, pp. 1127–1134, 2009.
- Y. Salimi, K. Shahandeh, H. Malekafzali et al., “Is Community-based Participatory Research (CBPR) useful? A systematic review on papers in a decade,” International Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 3, pp. 386–393, 2012.