- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 572820, 5 pages
Are Dietary Cholesterol Intake and Serum Cholesterol Levels Related to Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease in Obese Children?
12nd Department of Pediatrics, School of Medicine and Ahepa General Hospital, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Street Kiriakidi 1, 54636 Thessaloniki, Greece
2Department of Life and Health Sciences, University of Nicosia, Makedonitissas Avenue, 1700 Nicosia, Cyprus
Received 5 April 2012; Accepted 16 May 2012
Academic Editor: Roya Kelishadi
Copyright © 2012 Dimitrios Papandreou et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- O. Cheung and A. J. Sanyal, “Recent advances in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease,” Current Opinion in Gastroenterology, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 230–237, 2009.
- O. F. W. James and C. P. Day, “Non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH): a disease of emerging identity and importance,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 495–501, 1998.
- M. Nakamuta, T. Fujino, R. Yada et al., “Impact of cholesterol metabolism and the LXRα-SREBP-1c pathway on nonalcoholic fatty liver disease,” International Journal of Molecular Medicine, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 603–608, 2009.
- D. Papandreou, I. Rousso, and I. Mavromichalis, “Update on non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in children,” Clinical Nutrition, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 409–415, 2007.
- L. Peng, J. Wang, and F. Li, “Weight reduction for non-alcoholic fatty liver disease,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 6, Article ID CD003619, 2011.
- G. Musso, R. Gambino, F. De Michieli et al., “Dietary habits and their relations to insulin resistance and postprandial lipemia in nonalcoholic steatohepatitis,” Hepatology, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 909–916, 2003.
- S. Solga, A. R. Alkhuraishe, J. M. Clark et al., “Dietary composition and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 49, no. 10, pp. 1578–1583, 2004.
- K. Toshimitsu, B. Matsuura, I. Ohkubo et al., “Dietary habits and nutrient intake in non-alcoholic steatohepatitis,” Nutrition, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 46–52, 2007.
- K. Yasutake, M. Nakamuta, Y. Shima et al., “Nutritional investigation of non-obese patients with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease: the significance of dietary cholesterol,” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 471–477, 2009.
- T. J. Cole, C. M. Bellizzi, M. K. Flegal, and W. H. Dietz, “Establishing a standard definition for child overweight and obesity worldwide: international survey,” British Medical Journal, vol. 320, no. 7244, pp. 1240–1243, 2000.
- J. A. Zagzebski, in Essentials Of Ultrasound Physics, Mosby, 1996.
- D. R. Matthews, J. P. Hosker, A. S. Rudenski, B. A. Naylor, D. F. Treacher, and R. C. Turner, “Homeostasis model assessment: insulin resistance and β-cell function from fasting plasma glucose and insulin concentrations in man,” Diabetologia, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 412–419, 1985.
- H. R. H. Rockett, M. Breitenbach, A. L. Frazier et al., “Validation of a youth/adolescent food frequency questionnaire,” Preventive Medicine, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 808–816, 1997.
- I. R. Wanless and J. S. Lentz, “Fatty liver hepatitis (steatohepatitis) and obesity: an autopsy study with analysis of risk factors,” Hepatology, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 1106–1110, 1990.
- A. Kotronen and H. Yki-Järvinen, “Fatty liver: a novel component of the metabolic syndrome,” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 27–38, 2008.
- K. McAuley and J. Mann, “Nutritional determinants of insulin resistance,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 47, no. 8, pp. 1668–1676, 2006.
- C. M. Reynolds, F. C. McGillicuddy, K. A. Harford, O. M. Finucane, and H. M. Roche, “Dietary saturated fatty acids prime the NLRP3 inflammasome via TLR4 in dendritic cells-implications for diet-induced insulin resistance,” Molecular Nutrition & Food Research. Epub ahead of print.
- A. R. Gaby, “Adverse effects of dietary fructose,” Alternative Medicine Review, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 294–306, 2005.
- L. R. Vartanian, M. B. Schwartz, and K. D. Brownell, “Effects of soft drink consumption on nutrition and health: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 97, no. 4, pp. 667–675, 2007.
- S. Zelber-Sagi, D. Nitzan-Kaluski, R. Goldsmith et al., “Long term nutritional intake and the risk for non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD): a population based study,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 711–717, 2007.
- H. Cortez-Pinto, L. Jesus, H. Barros, C. Lopes, M. C. Moura, and M. E. Camilo, “How different is the dietary pattern in non-alcoholic steatohepatitis patients?” Clinical Nutrition, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 816–823, 2006.
- M. Kainuma, M. Fujimoto, N. Sekiya et al., “Cholesterol-fed rabbit as a unique model of nonalcoholic, nonobese, non-insulin-resistant fatty liver disease with characteristic fibrosis,” Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 41, no. 10, pp. 971–980, 2006.