- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 794252, 4 pages
The Triglyceride to HDL Ratio and Its Relationship to Insulin Resistance in Pre- and Postpubertal Children: Observation from the Wausau SCHOOL Project
1Aspirus Heart and Vascular Institute-Research and Education, Wansau, WI 54401, USA
2University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Received 6 April 2012; Accepted 5 May 2012
Academic Editor: Roya Kelishadi
Copyright © 2012 Karen Olson et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. H. Golden, A. R. Folsom, J. Coresh, A. R. Sharrett, M. Szklo, and F. Brancati, “Risk factor groupings related to insulin resistance and their synergistic effects on subclinical atherosclerosis: the atherosclerosis risk in communities study,” Diabetes, vol. 51, no. 10, pp. 3069–3076, 2002.
- R. C. Bonadonna, L. Groop, N. Kraemer, E. Ferrannini, S. del Prato, and R. A. DeFronzo, “Obesity and insulin resistance in humans: a dose-response study,” Metabolism, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 452–459, 1990.
- K. M. Rexrode, J. E. Manson, and C. H. Hennekens, “Obesity and cardiovascular disease,” Current Opinion in Cardiology, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 490–495, 1996.
- M. Laakso and E. Barrett-Connor, “Asymptomatic hyerglycemia is associated with lipid and lipoprotein changes favoring atherosclerosis,” Arteriosclerosis, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 665–672, 1989.
- B. V. Howard, “Insulin resistance and lipid metabolism,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 84, pp. 28J–32J, 1999.
- T. Marotta, F. Barbara, B. F. Russo, and L. A. Ferrara, “Triglyceride-to-HDL-cholesterol ratio and metabolic syndrome as contributors to cardiovascular risk in overweight patients,” Obesity, vol. 18, no. 8, pp. 1608–1613, 2010.
- J.-K. Chiang, N.-S. Lai, J.-K. Chang, and M. Koo, “Predicting insulin resistance using the triglyceride-to-high-density lipoprotein cholesterol ratio in Taiwanese adults,” Cardiovascular Diabetology, vol. 10, article 93, 2011.
- J. Steinberger and S. R. Daniels, “Obesity, insulin resistance, diabetes, and cardiovascular risk in children: an American heart association scientific statement from the atherosclerosis, hypertension, and obesity in the young committee (council on cardiovascular disease in the young) and the diabetes committee (council on nutrition, physical activity, and metabolism),” Circulation, vol. 107, no. 10, pp. 1448–1453, 2003.
- P. Hughes, D. K. Murdock, K. Olson et al., “School children have leading risk factors for cardiovascular disease and diabetes: the Wausau SCHOOL project,” Wisconsin Medical Journal, vol. 105, no. 5, pp. 32–39, 2006.
- D. K. Murdock, K. J. Olson, R. M. Juza, and B. L. Hendricks, “Effect of body mass index on insulin resistance and lipids in prepubertal and postpubertal children: SCHOOL observations,” Journal of the Cardiometabolic Syndrome, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 242–247, 2006.
- D. R. Matthews, J. P. Hosker, A. S. Rudenski, et al., “Homeostasis model assessment: insulin resistance and β-cell function from fasting plasma glucose and insulin concentrations in man,” Diabetologia, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 412–419, 1985.
- A. Katz, S. S. Nambi, K. Mather et al., “Quantitative insulin sensitivity check index: a simple, accurate method for assessing insulin sensitivity in humans,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 85, no. 7, pp. 2402–2410, 2000.
- N. Gungor, R. Saad, J. Janosky, and S. Arslanian, “Validation of surrogate estimates of insulin sensitivity and insulin secretion in children and adolescents,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 144, no. 1, pp. 47–55, 2004.
- R. J. Kuczmarski, C. L. Ogden, L. M. Grummer-Strawn, et al., “CDC growth charts: United States advance data from vital and health statistics,” Tech. Rep. 314, National Center for Health Statistics, Hyattsville, Md, USA, 2000.
- A. A. Hedley, C. L. Ogden, C. L. Johnson, M. D. Carroll, L. R. Curtin, and K. M. Flegal, “Prevalence of overweight and obesity among US children, adolescents, and adults, 1999–2002,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 291, no. 23, pp. 2847–2850, 2004.
- C. Giannini, N. Santoro, S. Caprio et al., “The triglyceride-to-HDL cholesterol ratio: association with insulin resistance in obese youths of different ethnic backgrounds,” Diabetes Care, vol. 34, pp. 1869–1874, 2011.
- P. D. Bonito, N. Moio, C. Scilla, et al., “Usefulness of the high triglyceride-to-HDL cholesterol ratio to identify cardiometabolic risk factors and preclinical signs of organ damage in outpatient children,” Diabetes Care, vol. 35, pp. 158–162, 2012.