- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 804643, 6 pages
Gender Differences Time Trends for Metabolic Syndrome and Its Components among Tehranian Children and Adolescents
1Obesity Research Center, Research Institute for Endocrine Science, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, 1985717413 Tehran, Iran
2Endocrine Research Center, Research Institute for Endocrine Science, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, 1985717413 Tehran, Iran
Received 7 January 2012; Accepted 26 February 2012
Academic Editor: Roya Kelishadi
Copyright © 2012 Maryam Barzin et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. I. Cleeman, “Executive summary of the third report of the National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) expert panel on detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood cholesterol in adults (adult treatment panel III),” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 285, no. 19, pp. 2486–2497, 2001.
- J. A. Morrison, L. A. Friedman, P. Wang, and C. J. Glueck, “Metabolic syndrome in childhood predicts adult metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes mellitus 25 to 30 years later,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 152, no. 2, pp. 201–206, 2008.
- F. M. Biro and M. Wien, “Childhood obesity and adult morbidities,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 91, no. 5, pp. 1499S–1505S, 2010.
- K. J. Nadeau, D. M. Maahs, S. R. Daniels, and R. H. Eckel, “Childhood obesity and cardiovascular disease: links and prevention strategies,” Nature Reviews Cardiology, vol. 8, no. 9, pp. 513–525, 2011.
- S. Cook, P. Auinger, C. Li, and E. S. Ford, “Metabolic syndrome rates in United States adolescents, from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1999–2002,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 152, no. 2, pp. 165–170, 2008.
- R. Kelishadi, G. Ardalan, R. Gheiratmand, K. Adeli, A. Delavari, and R. Majdzadeh, “Paediatric metabolic syndrome and associated anthropometric indices: the CASPIAN Study,” Acta Paediatrica, vol. 95, no. 12, pp. 1625–1634, 2006.
- M. Barzin, F. Hosseinpanah, S. Fekri, and F. Azizi, “Predictive value of body mass index and waist circumference for metabolic syndrome in 6-12-year-olds,” Acta Paediatrica, vol. 100, no. 5, pp. 722–727, 2011.
- F. Azizi, M. Rahmani, A. Ghanbarian et al., “Serum lipid levels in an Iranian adults population: Tehran lipid and glucose Study,” European Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 311–319, 2003.
- A. Esmaillzadeh, P. Mirmiran, L. Azadbakht, A. Etemadi, and F. Azizi, “High prevalence of the metabolic syndrome in Iranian adolescents,” Obesity, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 377–382, 2006.
- F. Azizi, P. Salehi, A. Etemadi, and S. Zahedi-Asl, “Prevalence of metabolic syndrome in an urban population: Tehran lipid and glucose Study,” Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 29–37, 2003.
- R. H. Eckel, K. G. M. M. Alberti, S. M. Grundy, and P. Z. Zimmet, “The metabolic syndrome,” The Lancet, vol. 375, no. 9710, pp. 181–183, 2010.
- E. S. Ford, W. H. Giles, and W. H. Dietz, “Prevalence of the metabolic syndrome among US adults: findings from the third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 287, no. 3, pp. 356–359, 2002.
- C. Li, E. S. Ford, T. T. K. Huang, S. S. Sun, and E. Goodman, “Patterns of change in cardiometabolic risk factors associated with the metabolic syndrome among children and adolescents: the Fels longitudinal Study,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 155, no. 3, pp. S5.e9–S5.e16, 2009.
- J. C. Eisenmann, G. J. Welk, E. E. Wickel, and S. N. Blair, “Stability of variables associated with the metabolic syndrome from adolescence to adulthood: the aerobics center longitudinal Study,” American Journal of Human Biology, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 690–696, 2004.
- M. J. Park, B. A. Boston, M. Oh, and S. H. Jee, “Prevalence and trends of metabolic syndrome among Korean adolescents: from the Korean NHANES Survey, 1998–2005,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 155, no. 4, pp. 529–534, 2009.
- P. T. Katzmarzyk, L. Perusse, R. M. Malina, J. Bergeron, J. P. Despres, and C. Bouchard, “Stability of indicators of the metabolic syndrome from childhood and adolescence to young adulthood: the Quebec Family Study,” Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 190–195, 2001.
- O. T. Raitakari, K. V. K. Porkka, J. S. A. Viikari, T. Ronnemaa, and H. K. Akerblom, “Clustering of risk factors for coronary heart disease in children and adolescents. The cardiovascular risk in young Finns Study,” Acta Paediatrica, vol. 83, no. 9, pp. 935–940, 1994.
- X. Chen and Y. Wang, “Tracking of blood pressure from childhood to adulthood: a systematic review and meta-regression analysis,” Circulation, vol. 117, no. 25, pp. 3171–3180, 2008.
- L. S. Webber, S. R. Srinivasan, W. A. Wattigney, and G. S. Berenson, “Tracking of serum lipids and lipoproteins from childhood to adulthood. The Bogalusa Heart Study,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 133, no. 9, pp. 884–899, 1991.
- R. M. Fuentes, I. L. Notkola, S. Shemeikka, J. Tuomilehto, and A. Nissinen, “Tracking of systolic blood pressure during childhood: a 15-year follow-up population-based family study in eastern Finland,” Journal of Hypertension, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 195–202, 2002.
- R. M. Fuentes, I. L. Notkola, S. Shemeikka, J. Tuomilehto, and A. Nissinen, “Tracking of body mass index during childhood: a 15-year prospective population-based family study in eastern Finland,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 716–721, 2003.
- F. Hosseini-Esfahani, A. Mousavi Nasl Khameneh, P. Mirmiran, A. Ghanbarian, and F. Azizi, “Trends in risk factors for cardiovascular disease among Iranian adolescents: the tehran lipid and glucose study, 1999–2008,” Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 319–328, 2011.
- F. Azizi, A. Ghanbarian, A. A. Momenan et al., “Prevention of non-communicable disease in a population in nutrition transition: Tehran lipid and glucose study phase II,” Trials, vol. 10, article 5, 2009.
- S. Cook, M. Weitzman, P. Auinger, M. Nguyen, and W. H. Dietz, “Prevalence of a metabolic syndrome phenotype in adolescents: Findings from the third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1988–1994,” Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, vol. 157, no. 8, pp. 821–827, 2003.
- R. Kelishadi, M. M. Gouya, G. Ardalan et al., “First reference curves of waist and hip circumferences in an Asian population of youths: CASPIAN study,” Journal of Tropical Pediatrics, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 158–164, 2007.
- R. Kelishadi, G. Ardalan, R. Gheiratmand et al., “Blood pressure and its influencing factors in a national representative sample of Iranian children and adolescents: the CASPIAN Study,” European Journal of Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 956–963, 2006.
- K. G. M. M. Alberti, R. H. Eckel, S. M. Grundy et al., “Harmonizing the metabolic syndrome: a joint interim statement of the international diabetes federation task force on epidemiology and prevention; National heart, lung, and blood institute; American heart association; World heart federation; International atherosclerosis society; and international association for the study of obesity,” Circulation, vol. 120, no. 16, pp. 1640–1645, 2009.
- S. L. Zeger and K. Y. Liang, “Longitudinal data analysis for discrete and continuous outcomes,” Biometrics, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 121–130, 1986.
- S. L. Zeger, K. Y. Liang, and P. S. Albert, “Models for longitudinal data: a generalized estimating equation approach,” Biometrics, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 1049–1060, 1988.
- P. W. Franks, R. L. Hanson, W. C. Knowler, M. L. Sievers, P. H. Bennett, and H. C. Looker, “Childhood obesity, other cardiovascular risk factors, and premature death,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 362, no. 6, pp. 485–493, 2010.
- E. A. C. Sellers, G. R. Singh, and S. M. Sayers, “Large waist but low body mass index: the metabolic syndrome in Australian aboriginal children,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 153, no. 2, pp. 222–227, 2008.
- P. Di Bonito, C. Forziato, E. Sanguigno et al., “Prevalence of the metabolic syndrome using ATP-derived definitions and its relation to insulin-resistance in a cohort of Italian outpatient children,” Journal of Endocrinological Investigation, vol. 33, no. 11, pp. 806–809, 2010.
- I. Saito, M. Mori, H. Shibata, H. Hirose, M. Tsujioka, and H. Kawabe, “Prevalence of metabolic syndrome in young men in Japan,” Journal of Atherosclerosis and Thrombosis, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 27–30, 2007.
- W. Liu, R. Lin, A. Liu, L. Du, and Q. Chen, “Prevalence and association between obesity and metabolic syndrome among Chinese elementary school children: a school-based survey,” BMC Public Health, vol. 10, article 780, 2010.
- C. L. Ogden, K. M. Flegal, M. D. Carroll, and C. L. Johnson, “Prevalence and trends in overweight among US children and adolescents, 1999–2000,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 288, no. 14, pp. 1728–1732, 2002.
- S. Bjornelv, S. Lydersen, J. Holmen, T. I. Lund Nilsen, and T. L. Holmen, “Sex differences in time trends for overweight and obesity in adolescents: the Young-HUNT study,” Scandinavian Journal of Public Health, vol. 37, no. 8, pp. 881–889, 2009.
- M. L. Booth, T. Chey, M. Wake et al., “Change in the prevalence of overweight and obesity among young Australians, 1969–1997,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 77, no. 1, pp. 29–36, 2003.
- N. Gupta, K. Goel, P. Shah, and A. Misra, “Childhood obesity in developing countries: epidemiology, determinants, and prevention,” Endocrine Reviews, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 48–70, 2012.
- L. McGovern, J. N. Johnson, R. Paulo et al., “Treatment of pediatric obesity: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized trials,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 93, no. 12, pp. 4600–4605, 2008.
- C. C. Kamath, K. S. Vickers, A. Ehrlich et al., “Behavioral interventions to prevent childhood obesity: a systematic review and metaanalyses of randomized trials,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 93, no. 12, pp. 4606–4615, 2008.
- B. C. Guinhouya, H. Samouda, D. Zitouni, C. Vilhelm, and H. Hubert, “Evidence of the influence of physical activity on the metabolic syndrome and/or on insulin resistance in pediatric populations: a systematic review,” International Journal of Pediatric Obesity, vol. 6, no. 5-6, pp. 361–388, 2011.