- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 847462, 6 pages
The Prevalence of Dyslipidemia in Patients with Spinal Cord Lesion in Thailand
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Faculty of Medicine, Khon Kaen University, Amphur Muang, Khon Kaen 40002, Thailand
Received 19 March 2012; Revised 16 May 2012; Accepted 16 May 2012
Academic Editor: Gerhard M. Kostner
Copyright © 2012 Ratana Vichiansiri et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. D. Yeo, J. Walsh, S. Rutkowski, R. Soden, M. Craven, and J. Middleton, “Mortality following spinal cord injury,” Spinal Cord, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 329–336, 1998.
- I. B. Lidal, H. Snekkevik, G. Aamodt, N. Hjeltnes, J. K. Stanghelle, and F. Biering-Sørensen, “Mortality after spinal cord injury in Norway,” Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 145–151, 2007.
- M. J. DeVivo, J. S. Krause, and D. P. Lammertse, “Recent trends in mortality and causes of death among persons with spinal cord injury,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 80, no. 11, pp. 1411–1419, 1999.
- G. G. Whiteneck, “Learning from empirical investigations,” in Perspectives on Aging With Spinal Cord Injury, G. G. Whiteneck, S. W. Charlifue, K. A. Gerhart, D. P. Lammertese, M. S. Manley, and R. R. Menter, Eds., vol. 32, Demos Publications, New York, NY, USA, 1992.
- C. S. Lee, Y. H. Lu, S. T. Lee, C. C. Lin, and H. J. Ding, “Evaluating the prevalence of silent coronary artery disease in asymptomatic patients with spinal cord injury,” International Heart Journal, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 325–330, 2006.
- J. Myers, M. Lee, and J. Kiratli, “Cardiovascular disease in spinal cord injury: an overview of prevalence, risk, evaluation, and management,” American Journal of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 86, no. 2, pp. 142–152, 2007.
- “Report of the National cholesterol education program expert panel on detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood cholesterol in adults. The expert panel,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 148, no. 1, pp. 36–69, 1988.
- S. M. Grundy and National Cholesterol Education Program, “National cholesterol education program: Second report of the expert panel on detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood cholesterol in adults (adult treatment panel II),” Circulation, vol. 89, no. 3, pp. 1333–1443, 1994.
- National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (Adult Treatment Panel III), “Third report of the National cholesterol education program (NCEP) expert panel on detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood cholesterol in adults (Adult treatment panel III) final report,” Circulation, vol. 106, pp. 3143–3421, 2002.
- J. I. Cleeman and Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults, “Executive summary of the third report of the National cholesterol education program (NCEP) expert panel on detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood cholesterol in adults (adult treatment panel III),” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 285, no. 19, pp. 2486–2497, 2001.
- S. M. Grundy, J. I. Cleeman, C. N. Bairey Merz et al., “Implications of recent clinical trials for the National cholesterol education program adult treatment panel III guidelines,” Circulation, vol. 110, no. 2, pp. 227–239, 2004.
- M. S. Nash and A. J. Mendez, “A guideline-driven assessment of need for cardiovascular disease risk intervention in persons with chronic paraplegia,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 88, no. 6, pp. 751–757, 2007.
- W. T. Friedewald, R. I. Levy, and D. S. Fredrickson, “Estimation of the concentration of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol in plasma, without use of the preparative ultracentrifuge,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 499–502, 1972.
- K. M. Anderson, P. W. F. Wilson, P. M. Odell, and W. B. Kannel, “An updated coronary risk profile. A statement for health professionals,” Circulation, vol. 83, no. 1, pp. 356–362, 1991.
- R. B. D'Agostino Sr., S. Grundy, L. M. Sullivan, and P. Wilson, “Validation of the Framingham coronary heart disease prediction scores: results of a multiple ethnic groups investigation,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 286, no. 2, pp. 180–187, 2001.
- W. A. Bauman, A. M. Spungen, Y. G. Zhong, J. L. Rothstein, C. Petry, and S. K. Gordon, “Depressed serum high density lipoprotein cholesterol levels in veterans with spinal cord injury,” Paraplegia, vol. 30, no. 10, pp. 697–703, 1992.
- W. A. Bauman, R. H. Adkins, A. M. Spungen et al., “Is immobilization associated with an abnormal lipoprotein profile? Observations from a diverse cohort,” Spinal Cord, vol. 37, no. 7, pp. 485–493, 1999.
- T. Ozgurtas, R. Alaca, M. Gulec, and T. Kutluay, “Do spinal cord injuries adversely affect serum lipoprotein profiles?” Military Medicine, vol. 168, no. 7, pp. 545–547, 2003.
- A. J. Dallmeijer, L. H. van der Woude, G. J. van Kamp, and A. P. Hollander, “Changes in lipid, lipoprotein and apolipoprotein profiles in persons with spinal cord injuries during the first 2 years post-injury,” Spinal Cord, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 96–102, 1999.
- W. A. Bauman, R. H. Adkins, A. M. Spungen, B. J. Kemp, and R. L. Waters, “The effect of residual neurological deficit on serum lipoproteins in individuals with chronic spinal cord injury,” Spinal Cord, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 13–17, 1998.
- W. A. Bauman and A. M. Spungen, “Disorders of carbohydrate and lipid metabolism in veterans with paraplegia or quadriplegia: a model of premature aging,” Metabolism, vol. 43, no. 6, pp. 749–756, 1994.
- Y. G. Zhong, E. Levy, and W. A. Bauman, “The relationships among serum uric acid, plasma insulin, and serum lipoprotein levels in subjects with spinal cord injury,” Hormone and Metabolic Research, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 283–286, 1995.
- Y. Hata and K. Nakajima, “Life-style and serum lipids and lipoproteins,” Journal of atherosclerosis and thrombosis, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 177–197, 2000.
- M. Florentin, E. N. Liberopoulos, A. S. Wierzbicki, and D. P. Mikhailidis, “Multiple actions of high-density lipoprotein,” Current Opinion in Cardiology, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 370–378, 2008.
- P. Libby, “Managing the risk of atherosclerosis: the role of high-density lipoprotein,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 88, no. 12, pp. 3N–8N, 2001.
- M. L. Kashyap, S. Tavintharan, and V. S. Kamanna, “Optimal therapy of low levels of high density lipoprotein-cholesterol,” American Journal of Cardiovascular Drugs, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 53–65, 2003.
- J. L. Durstine, P. W. Grandjean, P. G. Davis, M. A. Ferguson, N. L. Alderson, and K. D. DuBose, “Blood lipid and lipoprotein adaptations to exercise: a quantitative analysis,” Sports Medicine, vol. 31, no. 15, pp. 1033–1062, 2001.
- A. Schmid, J. Knöebber, S. Vogt et al., “Lipid profiles of persons with paraplegia and tetraplegia: sex differences,” Journal of Spinal Cord Medicine, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 285–289, 2008.
- A. J. Dallmeijer, M. T. E. Hopman, and L. H. V. van der Woude, “Lipid, lipoprotein, and apolipoprotein profiles in active and sedentary men with tetraplegia,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 78, no. 11, pp. 1173–1176, 1997.
- C. Pongchaiyakul, P. Hongsprabhas, V. Pisprasert, and C. Pongchaiyakul, “Rural-urban difference in lipid levels and prevalence of dyslipidemia: a population-based study in Khon Kaen Province, Thailand,” Journal of the Medical Association of Thailand, vol. 89, no. 11, pp. 1835–1844, 2006.