- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 895326, 6 pages
Improving Total-Cholesterol/HDL-Cholesterol Ratio Results in an Endothelial Dysfunction Recovery in Peripheral Artery Disease Patients
Vascular Surgery and Angiology Department, Hospital Universitario Getafe, Ctra Toledo Km 12,500, 28905 Madrid, Spain
Received 30 April 2012; Accepted 22 August 2012
Academic Editor: Jan Wouter Jukema
Copyright © 2012 Silvia Bleda et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Ross, “Atherosclerosis—an inflammatory disease,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 340, no. 2, pp. 115–126, 1999.
- J. De Haro, F. Acín, A. López-Quintana, et al., “Direct assotiation between C-reactive protein serum levels and endothelial dysfunction in patients with claudication,” European Journal of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, vol. 35, pp. 480–486, 2008.
- J. De Haro, E. Martínez-Aguilar, A. Florez, C. Varela, S. Bleda, and F. Acin, “Nitric oxide: link between endothelial dysfunction and inflammation in patients with peripheral arterial disease of the lower limbs,” Interactive Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 107–112, 2009.
- L. J. Ignarro, G. Cirino, A. Casini, and C. Napoli, “Nitric oxide as a signaling molecule in the vascular system: an overview,” Journal of Cardiovascular Pharmacology, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 879–886, 1999.
- A. Zulli, D. L. Hare, B. F. Buxton, and M. J. Black, “High dietary methionine plus cholesterol exacerbates atherosclerosis formation in the left main coronary artery of rabbits,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 176, no. 1, pp. 83–89, 2004.
- M. A. Creager, J. P. Cooke, M. E. Mendelsohn et al., “Impaired vasodilation of forearm resistance vessels in hypercholesterolemic humans,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 86, no. 1, pp. 228–234, 1990.
- M. J. Mullen, R. K. Kharbanda, J. Cross et al., “Heterogenous nature of flow-mediated dilatation in human conduit arteries in vivo: relevance to endothelial dysfunction in hypercholesterolemia,” Circulation Research, vol. 88, no. 2, pp. 145–151, 2001.
- A. M. Zeiher, H. Drexler, B. Saurbier, and H. Just, “Endothelium-mediated coronary blood flow modulation in humans: effects of age, atherosclerosis, hypercholesterolemia, and hypertension,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 92, no. 2, pp. 652–662, 1993.
- R. H. Böger, “Association of asymmetric dimethylarginine and endothelial dysfunction,” Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine, vol. 41, no. 11, pp. 1467–1472, 2003.
- B. J. Ansell, K. E. Watson, A. M. Fogelman, M. Navab, and G. C. Fonarow, “High-density lipoprotein function: recent advances,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 46, no. 10, pp. 1792–1798, 2005.
- J. Davignon, “Beneficial cardiovascular pleiotropic effects of statins,” Circulation, vol. 109, supplement 1, no. 23, pp. III39–III43, 2004.
- D. J. Gordon and B. M. Rifkind, “High-density lipoprotein—the clinical implications of recent studies,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 321, no. 19, pp. 1311–1316, 1989.
- G. Assmann and A. M. Gotto, “HDL cholesterol and protective factors in atherosclerosis,” Circulation, vol. 109, supplement 1, no. 23, pp. III8–III14, 2004.
- X. P. Li, S. P. Zhao, X. Y. Zhang, L. Liu, M. Gao, and Q. C. Zhou, “Protective effect of high density lipoprotein on endothelium-dependent vasodilatation,” International Journal of Cardiology, vol. 73, no. 3, pp. 231–236, 2000.
- J. T. Kuvin, A. R. Patel, M. Sidhu et al., “Relation between high-density lipoprotein cholesterol and peripheral vasomotor function,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 92, no. 3, pp. 275–279, 2003.
- K. K. Ray, C. P. Cannon, R. Cairns, D. A. Morrow, P. M. Ridker, and E. Braunwald, “Prognostic utility of ApoB/AI, total cholesterol/HDL, Non-HDL cholesterol, or hs-CRP as predictors of clinical risk in patients receiving statin therapy after acute coronary syndromes results from PROVE IT-TIMI 22,” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 423–430, 2009.
- U. Keil, A. D. Liese, H. W. Hense et al., “Classical risk factors and their impact on incident non-fatal and fatal myocardial infarction and all-cause mortality in southern Germany,” European Heart Journal, vol. 19, no. 8, pp. 1197–1207, 1998.
- J. T. Real, F. J. Chaves, I. Martínez-Usó, A. B. García-García, J. F. Ascaso, and R. Carmena, “Importance of HDL cholesterol levels and the total/HDL cholesterol ratio as a risk factor for coronary heart disease in molecularly defined heterozygous familial hypercholesterolaemia,” European Heart Journal, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 465–471, 2001.
- M. Myoishi, H. Hao, T. Minamino et al., “Increased endoplasmic reticulum stress in atherosclerotic plaques associated with acute coronary syndrome,” Circulation, vol. 116, no. 11, pp. 1226–1233, 2007.
- N. Wang, D. L. Silver, P. Costet, and A. R. Tall, “Specific binding of ApoA-I, enhanced cholesterol efflux, and altered plasma membrane morphology in cells expressing ABC1,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 275, no. 42, pp. 33053–33058, 2000.
- A. B. Newman, L. Shemanski, T. A. Manolio et al., “Ankle-arm index as a predictor of cardiovascular disease and mortality in the Cardiovascular Health study,” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 538–545, 1999.
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, “Third report of the national cholesterol education program (NCEP) expert panel on detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood cholesterol in adults (adult treatment panel III, or ATPIII),” 2006, http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/cholesterol/atglance.htm.
- P. Verdecchia and F. Angeli, “The seventh report of the joint national committee on the prevention, detection, evaluation and treatment of high blood pressure: the weapons are ready,” Revista Espanola de Cardiologia, vol. 56, no. 9, pp. 843–847, 2003.
- Expert Committee on the Diagnosis and Classification of Diabetes Mellitus, “Report of the expert committee on the diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus,” Diabetes Care, vol. 24, supplement 1, pp. 5–20, 2001.
- R. Ferrer and J. Hernández Jara, “Chronic renal insufficiency. I: definition, clinical course stages, progression mechanisms, etiology, and diagnostic criteria,” Nefrologia, vol. 21, pp. 18–20, 2001.
- P. Kleinbongard, T. Rassaf, A. Dejam, S. Kerber, and M. Kelm, “Griess method for nitrite measurement of aqueous and protein-containing samples,” Methods in Enzymology, vol. 359, pp. 158–168, 2002.
- C. C. Allain, L. S. Poon, and C. S. G. Chan, “Enzymatic determination of total serum cholesterol,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 470–475, 1974.
- H. F. ter Welle, T. Baartscheer, and J. W. Fiolet, “Influence of free glycerol on enzymic evaluation of triglycerides,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 1102–1103, 1984.
- M. Burstein, H. R. Scholnick, and R. Morfin, “Rapid method for the isolation of lipoproteins from human serum by precipitation with polyanions,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 583–595, 1970.
- R. J. Havel, H. J. Eder, and J. H. Bragdon, “The distribution and chemical composition of ultracentrifugally separated lipoproteins in human serum,” The Journal of clinical investigation, vol. 34, no. 9, pp. 1345–1353, 1955.
- C. Rasmusen, L. Cynober, and R. Couderc, “Arginine and statins: relationship between the nitric oxide pathway and the atherosclerosis development,” Annales de Biologie Clinique, vol. 63, no. 5, pp. 443–455, 2005.
- M. Rosenblat, T. Hayek, K. Hussein, and M. Aviram, “Decreased macrophage paraoxonase 2 expression in patients with hypercholesterolemia is the result of their increased cellular cholesterol content: effect of atorvastatin therapy,” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 175–180, 2004.
- M. Harangi, I. Seres, Z. Varga et al., “Atorvastatin effect on high-density lipoprotein-associated paraoxonase activity and oxidative DNA damage,” European Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 60, no. 10, pp. 685–691, 2004.
- S. Bleda, J. de Haro, A. Florez, C. Varela, L. Esparza, and F. Acin, “Long-term pleiotropic effect of statins upon nitric oxide and C-reactive protein levels in patients with peripheral arterial disease,” Heart Asia, vol. 3, pp. 130–134, 2011.
- Y. Kureishi, Z. Luo, I. Shiojima et al., “The HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor simvastatin activates the protein kinase Akt and promotes angiogenesis in normocholesterolemic animals,” Nature Medicine, vol. 6, no. 9, pp. 1004–1010, 2000.
- Y. Rikitake and J. K. Liao, “Rho GTPases, statins, and nitric oxide,” Circulation Research, vol. 97, no. 12, pp. 1232–1235, 2005.
- M. K. Reriani, S. M. Dunlay, B. Gupta, et al., “Effects of statins on coronary and peripheral endothelial function in humans: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials,” European Journal of Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 704–716, 2011.
- J. R. Murrow, S. Sher, S. Ali, et al., “The differential effect of statins on oxidative stress and endothelial function: atorvastatin versus pravastatin,” Journal of Clinical Lipidology, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 42–49, 2012.
- T. Sugiura, Y. Dohi, S. Yamashita et al., “Impact of lipid profile and high blood pressure on endothelial damage,” Journal of Clinical Lipidology, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 460–466, 2011.
- P. Kleinbongard, A. Dejam, T. Lauer et al., “Plasma nitrite reflects constitutive nitric oxide synthase activity in mammals,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 35, no. 7, pp. 790–796, 2003.