- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 961410, 5 pages
Assessment of Metformin as an Additional Treatment to Therapeutic Lifestyle Changes in Pediatric Patients with Metabolic Syndrome
College of Medicine, University of Arizona, 1501 N. Campbell Avenue, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
Received 9 April 2012; Accepted 8 May 2012
Academic Editor: Roya Kelishadi
Copyright © 2012 Rebecca M. Raub and Stanley J. Goldberg. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. Ogden and M. Carroll, Prevalence of obesity among children and adolescents: United States, trends 1963–1965 through 2007–2008, CDC, 2010.
- J. A. Morrison, L. A. Friedman, P. Wang, and C. J. Glueck, “Metabolic syndrome in childhood predicts adult metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes mellitus 25 to 30 years later,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 152, no. 2, pp. 201–206, 2008.
- 3. Third report of the national cholesterol education program (NCEP) expert panel on detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood cholesterol in adults (adult treatment panel III): Final report. NIH Publication 2002;02-5215:II-26.
- A. Saenz, I. Fernandez-Esteban, A. Mataix, M. Ausejo, M. Roque, and D. Moher, “Metformin monotherapy for type 2 diabetes mellitus,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 3, Article ID CD002966, 2005.
- J. C. Han, M. S. Rutledge, M. Kozlosky et al., “Insulin resistance, hyperinsulinemia, and energy intake in overweight children,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 152, no. 5, pp. 612–617.e1, 2008.
- D. M. Wilson, S. H. Abrams, T. Aye et al., “Metformin extended release treatment of adolescent obesity: a 48-week randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial with 48-week follow-up,” Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, vol. 164, no. 2, pp. 116–123, 2010.
- K. Love-Osborne, J. Sheeder, and P. Zeitler, “Addition of metformin to a lifestyle modification program in adolescents with insulin resistance,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 152, no. 6, pp. 817–822, 2008.
- S. Srinivasan, G. R. Ambler, L. A. Baur et al., “Randomized, controlled trial of metformin for obesity and insulin resistance in children and adolescents: improvement in body composition and fasting insulin,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 91, no. 6, pp. 2074–2080, 2006.
- J. A. Yanovski, J. Krakoff, C. G. Salaita et al., “Effects of metformin on body weight and body composition in obese insulin-resistant children: a randomized clinical trial,” Diabetes, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 477–485, 2011.
- M. Freemark and D. Bursey, “The effects of metformin on body mass index and glucose tolerance in obese adolescents with fasting hyperinsulinemia and a family history of type 2 diabetes,” Pediatrics, vol. 107, no. 4, article E55, 2001.
- B. Falkner, S. R. Daniels, J. T. Flynn et al., “The fourth report on the diagnosis, evaluation, and treatment of high blood pressure in children and adolescents,” Pediatrics, vol. 114, no. 2, pp. 555–576, 2004.
- S. R. Daniels and F. R. Greer, “Lipid screening and cardiovascular health in childhood,” Pediatrics, vol. 122, no. 1, pp. 198–208, 2008.
- J. R. Fernandez, D. T. Redden, A. Pietrobelli, and D. B. Allison, “Waist circumference percentiles in nationally representative samples of African-American, European-American, and Mexican-American children and adolescents,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 145, no. 4, pp. 439–444, 2004.
- J. V. G. A. Durnin and J. Womersley, “Body fat assessed from total body density and its estimation from skinfold thickness: measurements on 481 men and women aged from 16 to 72 years,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 79–97, 1974.
- Centers of Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Health Statistics, 2000, http://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/.