- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 198384, 6 pages
Predictors of Metabolic Syndrome in the Iranian Population: Waist Circumference, Body Mass Index, or Waist to Hip Ratio?
1Isfahan Cardiovascular Research Centre, Isfahan Cardiovascular Research Institute, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
2Rehabilitation Research Center, Isfahan Cardiovascular Research Institute, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, P.O. Box 81465-1148, Isfahan, Iran
3Hypertension Research Centre, Isfahan Cardiovascular Research Institute, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
4Cardiology Department, School of Medicine, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
Received 8 December 2012; Revised 24 January 2013; Accepted 11 February 2013
Academic Editor: Gerhard M. Kostner
Copyright © 2013 Mojgan Gharipour et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Q. Qiao, J. Pitkäniemi, J. Tuomilehto et al., “Comparison of different definitions of the metabolic syndrome in relation to cardiovascular mortality in European men and women,” Diabetologia, vol. 49, no. 12, pp. 2837–2846, 2006.
- G. N. Thomas, C. M. Schooling, S. M. McGhee et al., “Metabolic syndrome increases all-cause and vascular mortality: the Hong Kong cardiovascular risk factor study,” Clinical Endocrinology, vol. 66, no. 5, pp. 666–671, 2007.
- A. M. J. Wassink, Y. Van Der Graaf, J. K. Olijhoek, and F. L. J. Visseren, “Metabolic syndrome and the risk of new vascular events and all-cause mortality in patients with coronary artery disease, cerebrovascular disease, peripheral arterial disease or abdominal aortic aneurysm,” European Heart Journal, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 213–223, 2008.
- M. Gharipour, R. Kelishadi, A. Khosravi, S. Shirani, M. Masjedi, and N. Sarrafzadegan, “The impact of a community trial on the pharmacological treatment in the individuals with the metabolic Program,” Archives of Medical Science, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 1009–1017, 2001.
- M. A. Beydoun, M. T. Fanelli Kuczmarski, Y. Wang, M. A. Mason, M. K. Evans, and A. B. Zonderman, “Receiver-operating characteristics of adiposity for metabolic syndrome: the healthy aging in neighborhoods of diversity across the life span (HANDLS) study,” Public Health Nutrition, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 77–92, 2011.
- M. Takahashi, K. Shimomura, P. Proks et al., “A proposal of combined evaluation of waist circumference and BMI for the diagnosis of metabolic syndrome,” Endocrine Journal, vol. 56, no. 9, pp. 1079–1082, 2009.
- J. A. Al-Lawati and P. Jousilahti, “Body mass index, waist circumference and waist-to-hip ratio cut-off points for categorisation of obesity among Omani Arabs,” Public Health Nutrition, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 102–108, 2008.
- A. Misra, J. S. Wasir, and N. K. Vikram, “Waist circumference criteria for the diagnosis of abdominal obesity are not applicable uniformly to all populations and ethnic groups,” Nutrition, vol. 21, no. 9, pp. 969–976, 2005.
- A. A. Tavassoli, M. Gharipour, A. Khosravi et al., “Gender differences in obesogenic behaviour, socioeconomic and metabolic factors in a population-based sample of iranians: the IHHP study,” Journal of Health, Population and Nutrition, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 602–609, 2010.
- F. Razak, S. S. Anand, H. Shannon et al., “Defining obesity cut points in a multiethnic population,” Circulation, vol. 115, no. 16, pp. 2111–2118, 2007.
- N. Sarraf-Zadegan, G. Sadri, H. Malek Afzali et al., “Isfahan healthy heart programme: a comprehensive integrated community-based programme for cardiovascular disease prevention and control. Design, methods and initial experience,” Acta Cardiologica, vol. 58, no. 4, pp. 309–320, 2003.
- N. Sarrafzadegan, A. Baghaei, G. Sadri et al., “Isfahan healthy heart program: evaluation of comprehensive, community-based interventions for non-communicable disease prevention,” Prevention and Control, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 73–84, 2006.
- N. Sarrafzadegan TM, M. Sadeghi, R. Kelishadi et al., “The isfahan cohort study: rationale, methods and main findings,” Journal of Human Hypertension, vol. 25, no. 9, pp. 545–553, 2011.
- E. Barrett-Connor, E. G. V. Giardina, A. K. Gitt, U. Gudat, H. O. Steinberg, and D. Tschoepe, “Women and heart disease: the role of diabetes and hyperglycemia,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 164, no. 9, pp. 934–942, 2004.
- D. Wood, G. De Backer, O. Faergeman, I. Graham, G. Mancia, and K. Pyörälä, “Prevention of coronary heart disease in clinical practice. Recommendations of the second joint task force of European and other societies on coronary prevention,” European Heart Journal, vol. 19, no. 10, pp. 1434–1503, 1998.
- J. Chalmers MS, G. Mancia, J. Whitworth et al., “World health organization-international society of hypertension guidelines for the management of hypertension. Guidelines sub-committee of the world health organization,” Clin Exp Hypertens, vol. 21, no. 5-6, pp. 1009–1060, 1999.
- American Diabetes Association, “Diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitu,” Diabetes Care, vol. 31, supplement 1, pp. 55–60, 2008.
- National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert Panel on Detection E. Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (Adult TreatmentPanel ), “Third report of the national cholesterol education program (NCEP)expert panel on detection, evaluation, and treatment of High blood cholesterol inadults (Adult Treatment Panel III) final report,” Circulation, vol. 25, no. 106, pp. 3143–3421, 2002.
- R. Heidari, M. Sadeghi, M. Talaei, K. Rabiei, N. Mohammadifard, and N. Sarrafzadegan, “Metabolic syndrome in menopausal transition: isfahan healthy heart program, a population based study,” Diabetology and Metabolic Syndrome, vol. 2, no. 1, article 59, 2010.
- B. A. Reeder, A. Senthilselvan, J. P. Després et al., “The association of cardiovascular disease risk factors with abdominal obesity in Canada,” CMAJ, vol. 157, no. 1, pp. S39–S45, 1997.
- L. A. Moreno, I. Pìneda, G. Rodríguez, J. Fleta, A. Sarría, and M. Bueno, “Waist circumference for the screening of the metabolic syndrome in children,” Acta Paediatrica, International Journal of Paediatrics, vol. 91, no. 12, pp. 1307–1312, 2002.
- Y. Wang, E. B. Rimm, M. J. Stampfer, W. C. Willett, and F. B. Hu, “Comparison of abdominal adiposity and overall obesity in predicting risk of type 2 diabetes among men,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 81, no. 3, pp. 555–563, 2005.
- Y. Liu, G. Tong, W. Tong, L. Lu, and X. Qin, “Can body mass index, waist circumference, waist-hip ratio and waist-height ratio predict the presence of multiple metabolic risk factors in Chinese subjects?” BMC Public Health, vol. 11, article 35, 2011.
- G. N. Thomas, S. Y. Ho, K. S. L. Lam, E. D. Janus, A. J. Hedley, and H. L. Tai, “Impact of obesity and body fat distribution on cardiovascular risk factors in Hong Kong Chinese,” Obesity Research, vol. 12, no. 11, pp. 1805–1813, 2004.
- S. Zhu, S. B. Heymsfield, H. Toyoshima, Z. Wang, A. Pietrobelli, and S. Heshka, “Race-ethnicity-specific waist circumference cutoffs for identifying cardiovascular disease risk factors,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 81, no. 2, pp. 409–415, 2005.
- A. Misra, M. Madhavan, N. K. Vikram, R. M. Pandey, V. Dhingra, and K. Luthra, “Simple anthropometric measures identify fasting hyperinsulinemia and clustering of cardiovascular risk factors in Asian Indian adolescents,” Metabolism, vol. 55, no. 12, pp. 1569–1573, 2006.
- WHO Organization WH, “Physical status: the use and interpretation of anthropometry,” Report of a WHO Expert Committee, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, 1995.
- M. Barzin, F. Hosseinpanah, H. Saber, P. Sarbakhsh, NakhodaK, and F. Azizi, “Gender differences time trends for metabolic syndrome and its components among tehranian children and adolescents,” Cholesterol, vol. 2012, Article ID 804643, 6 pages, 2012.
- M. Barzin, F. Hosseinpanah, S. Fekri, and F. Azizi, “Predictive value of body mass index and waist circumference for metabolic syndrome in 6-12-year-olds,” Acta Paediatrica, International Journal of Paediatrics, vol. 100, no. 5, pp. 722–727, 2011.
- Y. Jahangiri Noudeh, F. Hadaegh, N. Vatankhah et al., “Wrist circumference as a novel predictor of diabetes and prediabetes: results of cross-sectional and 8. 8-year follow-up studies,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, vol. 2013, 2013.
- P. Mirmiran, N. Noori, and F. Azizi, “A prospective study of determinants of themetabolic syndrome in adults,” Nutrition, Metabolism & Cardiovascular Diseases, vol. 18, no. 8, pp. 567–573, 2008.
- G. M. Haas, T. Bertsch, and P. Schwandt, “Trends of components of the metabolic syndrome in German first graders throughout 10 years: the PEP family heart study,” Cholesterol, vol. 2012, Article ID 231962, 5 pages, 2012.