- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 314170, 7 pages
Short-Term Effect of Pitavastatin Treatment on Glucose and Lipid Metabolism and Oxidative Stress in Fasting and Postprandial State Using a Test Meal in Japanese Men
1Kakuda Clinic, Takamatsu Na15-1, Kahoku, Ishikawa 929-1215, Japan
2Department of General Medicine, Kanazawa Medical University, 1-1 Daigaku Uchinada, Kahoku, Ishikawa Prefecture 920-0293, Japan
3Kanazawa Medical University, 1-1 Daigaku Uchinada, Kahoku, Ishikawa Prefecture 920-0293, Japan
Received 3 September 2013; Revised 10 November 2013; Accepted 12 November 2013
Academic Editor: Jeffrey Cohn
Copyright © 2013 Hirokazu Kakuda et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Q. Qiao, S. Larsen, K. Borch-Johnsen et al., “Glucose tolerance and cardiovascular mortality. Comparison of fasting and 2-hour diagnostic criteria,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 161, no. 3, pp. 397–405, 2001.
- M. Tominaga, H. Eguchi, H. Manaka, K. Igarashi, T. Kato, and A. Sekikawa, “Impaired glucose tolerance is a risk factor for cardiovascular disease, but not impaired fasting glucose: the Funagata Diabetes Study,” Diabetes Care, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 920–924, 1999.
- D. B. Zilversmit, “Atherogenesis: a postprandial phenomenon,” Circulation, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 473–485, 1979.
- F. Karpe, “Postprandial lipoprotein metabolism and atherosclerosis,” Journal of Internal Medicine, vol. 246, no. 4, pp. 341–355, 1999.
- R. J. Havel, “Remnant lipoproteins as therapeutic targets,” Current Opinion in Lipidology, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 615–620, 2000.
- D. Aronson and E. J. Rayfield, “How hyperglycemia promotes atherosclerosis: molecular mechanisms,” Cardiovascular Diabetology, vol. 1, article 1, 2002.
- T. B. Twickler, G. M. Dallinga-Thie, J. S. Cohn, and M. J. Chapman, “Elevated remnant-like particle cholesterol concentration: a characteristic feature of the atherogenic lipoprotein phenotype,” Circulation, vol. 109, no. 16, pp. 1918–1925, 2004.
- A. Varbo, M. Benn, A. Tybjaerg-Hansen, A. B. Jorgensen, R. Frikke-Schmidt, and B. G. Nordestgaard, “Remnant cholesterol as a causal risk factor for ischemic heart disease,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 61, pp. 427–436, 2013.
- T. C. Ooi, M. Cousins, D. S. Ooi, K. Nakajima, and A. L. Edwards, “Effect of fibrates on postprandial remnant-like particles in patients with combined hyperlipidemia,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 172, no. 2, pp. 375–382, 2004.
- E. J. Schaefer, J. R. McNamara, T. Tayler et al., “Comparisons of effects of statins (atorvastatin, fluvastatin, lovastatin, pravastatin, and simvastatin) on fasting and postprandial lipoproteins in patients with coronary heart disease versus control subjects,” The American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 93, no. 1, pp. 31–39, 2004.
- J. G. Schneider, M. Von Eynatten, K. G. Parhofer et al., “Atorvastatin improves diabetic dyslipidemia and increases lipoprotein lipase activity in vivo,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 175, no. 2, pp. 325–331, 2004.
- K. Schoonjans, J. Peinado-Onsurbe, J.-C. Fruchart, A. Tailleux, C. Fiévet, and J. Auwerx, “3-Hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl CoA reductase inhibitors reduce serum triglyceride levels through modulation of apolipoprotein C-III and lipoprotein lipase,” FEBS Letters, vol. 452, no. 3, pp. 160–164, 1999.
- K. G. Parhofer, P. H. R. Barrett, and P. Schwandt, “Atorvastatin improves postprandial lipoprotein metabolism in normolipidemic subjects,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 85, no. 11, pp. 4224–4230, 2000.
- K. G. Parhofer, E. Laubach, and P. H. R. Barrett, “Effect of atorvastatin on postprandial lipoprotein metabolism in hypertriglyceridemic patients,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 1192–1198, 2003.
- K. Yunoki, K. Nakamura, T. Miyoshi et al., “Ezetimibe improves postprandial hyperlipemia and its induced endothelial dysfunction,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 217, no. 2, pp. 486–491, 2011.
- T. Hayashi, K. Yokote, Y. Saito, and A. Iguchi, “Pitavastatin: efficacy and safety in intensive lipid lowering,” Expert Opinion on Pharmacotherapy, vol. 8, no. 14, pp. 2315–2327, 2007.
- T. Hiro, T. Kimura, T. Morimoto et al., “Effect of intensive statin therapy on regression of coronary atherosclerosis in patients with acute coronary syndrome: a multicenter randomized trial evaluated by volumetric intravascular ultrasound using pitavastatin versus atorvastatin (JAPAN-ACS [Japan assessment of pitavastatin and atorvastatin in acute coronary syndrome] study),” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 54, no. 4, pp. 293–302, 2009.
- M.-A. Kawashiri, A. Nohara, H. Tada et al., “Comparison of effects of pitavastatin and atorvastatin on plasma coenzyme Q10 in heterozygous familial hypercholesterolemia: results from a crossover study,” Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 83, no. 5, pp. 731–739, 2008.
- N. Poolsup, N. Suksomboon, K. Wongyaowarat, B. Rungkanchananon, P. Niyomrat, and S. Kongsuwan, “Meta-analysis of the comparative efficacy and safety of pitavastatin and atorvastatin in patients with dyslipidaemia,” Journal of Clinical Pharmacy and Therapeutics, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 166–172, 2012.
- A. Corsini and R. Ceska, “Drugdrug interactions with statins: will pitavastatin overcome the statins Achilles heel?” Current Medical Research and Opinion, vol. 27, no. 8, pp. 1551–1562, 2011.
- A. L. Catapano, “Statin-induced myotoxicity: pharmacokinetic differences among statins and the risk of rhabdomyolysis, with particular Reference to pitavastatin,” Current Vascular Pharmacology, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 257–267, 2012.
- H. Nagashima and M. Endo, “Pitavastatin prevents postprandial endothelial dysfunction via reduction of the serum triglyceride level in obese male subjects,” Heart and Vessels, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 428–434, 2011.
- K. Arao, T. Yasu, T. Umemoto et al., “Effects of pitavastatin on fasting and postprandial endothelial function and blood rheology in patients with stable coronary artery disease,” Circulation Journal, vol. 73, no. 8, pp. 1523–1530, 2009.
- T. Aoki, Y. Yoshinaka, H. Yamazaki et al., “Triglyceride-lowering effect of pitvastatin in a rat model of postprandial lipemia,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 444, no. 1-2, pp. 107–113, 2002.
- A. M. Nuernberg, P. D. Boyce, J. M. Cavallari, S. C. Fang, E. A. Eisen, and D. C. Christiani, “Urinary 8-isoprostane and 8-OHdG concentrations in boilermakers with welding exposure,” Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 182–189, 2008.
- A. A. Commodore, J. J. Zhang, Y. Chang, et al., “Concentrations of urinary 8-hydroxy-2'-deoxyguanosine and 8-isoprostane in women exposed to woodsmoke in a cookstove intervention study in San Marcos, Peru.,” Environment International, vol. 60, pp. 112–122, 2013.
- J. D. Morrow, K. E. Hill, R. F. Burk, T. M. Nammour, K. F. Badr, and L. J. Roberts II, “A series of prostaglandin F2-like compounds are produced in vivo in humans by a non-cyclooxygenase, free radical-catalyzed mechanism,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 87, no. 23, pp. 9383–9387, 1990.
- E. Nagai, T. Katsuno, J.-I. Miyagawa et al., “Effects of miglitol in combination with intensive insulin therapy on blood glucose control with special reference to incretin responses in type 1 diabetes mellitus,” Endocrine Journal, vol. 58, no. 10, pp. 869–877, 2011.
- J. R. McNamara, P. K. Shah, K. Nakajima et al., “Remnant-like particle (RLP) cholesterol is an independent cardiovascular disease risk factor in women: results from the Framingham Heart Study,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 154, no. 1, pp. 229–236, 2001.
- F. Karpe, S. Boquist, R. Tang, G. M. Bond, U. De Faire, and A. Hamsten, “Remnant lipoproteins are related to intima-media thickness of the carotid artery independently of LDL cholesterol and plasma triglycerides,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 17–21, 2001.
- M. Guerin, P. Egger, W. L. Goff, C. Soudant, R. Dupuis, and M. John Chapman, “Atorvastatin reduces postprandial accumulation and cholesteryl ester transfer protein-mediated remodeling of triglyceride-rich lipoprotein subspecies in type IIB hyperlipidemia,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 87, no. 11, pp. 4991–5000, 2002.
- A. Saiki, T. Murano, F. Watanabe, T. Oyama, Y. Miyashita, and K. Shirai, “Pitavastatin enhanced lipoprotein lipase expression in 3T3-L1 preadipocytes,” Journal of Atherosclerosis and Thrombosis, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 163–168, 2005.
- S. Morikawa, M. Umetani, S. Nakagawa et al., “Relative induction of mRNA for HMG CoA reductase and LDL receptor by five different HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors in cultured human cells,” Journal of Atherosclerosis and Thrombosis, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 138–144, 2000.
- S. Lally, C. Y. Tan, D. Owens, and G. H. Tomkin, “Messenger RNA levels of genes involved in dysregulation of postprandial lipoproteins in type 2 diabetes: the role of Niemann-Pick C1-like 1, ATP-binding cassette, transporters G5 and G8, and of microsomal triglyceride transfer protein,” Diabetologia, vol. 49, no. 5, pp. 1008–1016, 2006.
- J.-H. Bae, E. Bassenge, K.-B. Kim et al., “Postprandial hypertriglyceridemia impairs endothelial function by enhanced oxidant stress,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 155, no. 2, pp. 517–523, 2001.
- R. Carnevale, P. Pignatelli, S. Di Santo et al., “Atorvastatin inhibits oxidative stress via adiponectin-mediated NADPH oxidase down-regulation in hypercholesterolemic patients,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 213, no. 1, pp. 225–234, 2010.
- S. Nomura, N. Inami, A. Shouzu et al., “The effects of pitavastatin, eicosapentaenoic acid and combined therapy on platelet-derived microparticles and adiponectin in hyperlipidemic, diabetic patients,” Platelets, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 16–22, 2009.
- H. Kakuda, K. Kanasaki, D. Koya, and N. Takekoshi, “The administration of pitavastatin augments creatinine clearance associated with reduction in oxidative stress parameters: acute and early effects,” Clinical and Experimental Nephrology, vol. 17, pp. 240–247, 2013.
- B. Sadowitz, K. G. Maier, and V. Gahtan, “Basic science review: statin therapy-part I: the pleiotropic effects of statins in cardiovascular disease,” Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 241–251, 2010.
- J. N. Bech, C. B. Nielsen, and E. B. Pedersen, “Effects of systemic NO synthesis inhibition on RPF, GFR, UNa, and vasoactive hormones in healthy humans,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 270, no. 5, pp. F845–F851, 1996.