- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 681475, 8 pages
HDL-C Response Variability to Niacin ER in US Adults
1GlaxoSmithKline, Clinical Effectiveness & Safety, 5 Moore Drive, B.3116, Durham, NC 27709-3398, USA
2GlaxoSmithKline, Heart Failure DPU, Medicines Discovery and Development, King of Prussia, PA 19406, USA
3GlaxoSmithKline, Worldwide Epidemiology, Durham, NC 27709, USA
4Exponent Health Sciences, Bellevue, WA 98004, USA
Received 20 December 2012; Accepted 28 January 2013
Academic Editor: Francisco Blanco-Vaca
Copyright © 2013 Jennifer B. Christian et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. J. Ansell, K. E. Watson, A. M. Fogelman, M. Navab, and G. C. Fonarow, “High-density lipoprotein function: recent advances,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 46, no. 10, pp. 1792–1798, 2005.
- A. Morrison and J. E. Hokanson, “The independent relationship between triglycerides and coronary heart disease,” Vascular Health and Risk Management, vol. 5, pp. 89–95, 2009.
- E. J. Schaefer, S. Lamon-Fava, J. M. Ordovas et al., “Factors associated with low and elevated plasma high density lipoprotein cholesterol and apolipoprotein A-I levels in the Framingham Offspring Study,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 871–882, 1994.
- W. E. Boden, J. L. Probstfield, T. Anderson et al., “Niacin in patients with low HDL cholesterol levels receiving intensive statin therapy,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 365, no. 24, pp. 2255–2267, 2011.
- “Prevalence of abnormal lipid levels among youths—United States, 1999–2006,” MMWR. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 29–33, 2010.
- R. S. Birjmohun, J. J. P. Kastelein, D. Poldermans, E. S. G. Stroes, U. Hostalek, and G. Assmann, “Safety and tolerability of prolonged-release nicotinic acid in statin-treated patients,” Current Medical Research and Opinion, vol. 23, no. 7, pp. 1707–1713, 2007.
- P. P. Toth, V. Zarotsky, J. M. Sullivan, and D. Laitinen, “Niacin and fibrate use among patients with high triglycerides and low high-density lipoprotein cholesterol,” Current Medical Research and Opinion, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 1355–1363, 2009.
- J. B. Christian, N. E. Bourgeois, and K. A. Lowe, “Prevalence, clinical characteristics and treatment patterns of low high-density lipoprotein cholesterol in the US population: National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2005–2008,” Journal of Cardiovascular Medicine, vol. 12, no. 10, pp. 714–722, 2011.
- P. P. Toth, V. Zarotsky, J. M. Sullivan, and D. Laitinen, “Dyslipidemia treatment of patients with diabetes mellitus in a US managed care plan: a retrospective database analysis,” Cardiovascular Diabetology, vol. 8, article 26, 2009.
- B. Alemayehu, E. Buysman, D. Parry, L. Becker, and F. Nathan, “Economic burden and healthcare utilization associated with castration-resistant prostate cancer in a commercial and Medicare Advantage US patient population,” Journal of Medical Economics, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 351–361, 2010.
- J. B. Christian, B. Arondekar, E. K. Buysman, et al., “Clinical and economic benefits observed when follow-up triglyceride levels are less than 500 mg/dL in patients with severe hypertriglyceridemia,” Journal of Clinical Lipidology, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 450–461, 2012.
- S. A. Williams, E. K. Buysman, E. M. Hulbert, et al., “Hemoglobin A1c outcomes and health care resource use in type 2 diabetes mellitus patients treated with combination oral antidiabetic drugs through step therapy and loose-dose and fixed-dose combinations,” Managed Care, vol. 21, pp. 40–48, 2012.
- “Third Report of the National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (Adult Treatment Panel III) final report,” Circulation, vol. 106, no. 25, pp. 3143–3421, 2002.
- T. A. Jacobson, “A “hot” topic in dyslipidemia management—“how to beat a flush”: optimizing Niacin tolerability to promote long-term treatment adherence and coronary disease prevention,” Mayo Clinic Proceedings, vol. 85, no. 4, pp. 365–379, 2010.
- S. Kamal-Bahl, D. J. Watson, and B. M. Ambegaonkar, “Patients' experiences of niacin-induced flushing in clinical practice: a structured telephone interview,” Clinical Therapeutics, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 130–140, 2009.
- C. L. Shear, F. A. Franklin, S. Stinnett et al., “Expanded Clinical Evaluation of Lovastatin (EXCEL) Study results: effect of patient characteristics on lovastatin-induced changes in plasma concentrations of lipids and lipoproteins,” Circulation, vol. 85, no. 4, pp. 1293–1303, 1992.
- A. S. Wierzbicki and D. P. Mikhailidis, “Dose-response effects of atorvastatin and simvastatin on high-density lipoprotein cholesterol in hypercholesterolaemic patients: a review of five comparative studies,” International Journal of Cardiology, vol. 84, no. 1, pp. 53–57, 2002.