- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Computational Intelligence and Neuroscience
Volume 2007 (2007), Article ID 25487, 10 pages
fMRI Brain-Computer Interface: A Tool for Neuroscientific Research and Treatment
1Institute of Medical Psychology and Behavioral Neurobiology, Eberhard-Karls-University of Tübingen, Tübingen, 72074, Germany
2Max Planck Institute for Biological Cybernetics, P.O. Box 21 69, Tübingen 72076, Germany
3Institute for Natural Language Processing, University of Stuttgart, Stuttgart 70174, Germany
4National Institute of Health (NIH), NINDS, Human Cortical Physiology, Bethesda, MD 20892-1428, USA
Received 28 February 2007; Revised 2 August 2007; Accepted 18 September 2007
Academic Editor: Shangkai Gao
Copyright © 2007 Ranganatha Sitaram et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [59 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Giuseppina Rota, Ranganatha Sitaram, Ralf Veit, Michael Erb, Nikolaus Weiskopf, Grzegorz Dogil, and Niels Birbaumer, “Self-regulation of regional cortical activity using real-time fMRI: The right inferior frontal gyrus and linguistic processing,” Human Brain Mapping, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 1605–1614, 2009.
- Ranganatha Sitaram, Andrea Caria, and Niels Birbaumer, “Hemodynamic brain–computer interfaces for communication and rehabilitation,” Neural Networks, vol. 22, no. 9, pp. 1320–1328, 2009.
- Marcel Van Gerven, Jason Farquhar, Rebecca Schaefer, Rutger Vlek, Jeroen Geuze, Anton Nijholt, Nick Ramsey, Pim Haselager, Louis Vuurpijl, Stan Gielen, and Peter Desain, “The brain-computer interface cycle,” Journal of Neural Engineering, vol. 6, no. 4, 2009.
- Anders Eklund, Henrik Ohlsson, Mats Andersson, Joakim Rydell, Anders Ynnerman, and Hans Knutsson, “Using real-time fMRI to control a dynamical system by brain activity classification,” Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics), vol. 5761, no. 1, pp. 1000–1008, 2009.
- Andrea Caria, Ranganatha Sitaram, Ralf Veit, Chiara Begliomini, and Niels Birbaumer, “Volitional Control of Anterior Insula Activity Modulates the Response to Aversive Stimuli. A Real-Time Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging Study,” Biological Psychiatry, vol. 68, no. 5, pp. 425–432, 2010.
- S. Halder, M. Rea, R. Andreoni, F. Nijboer, E. M. Hammer, S. C. Kleih, N. Birbaumer, and A. Kuebler, “An auditory oddball brain-computer interface for binary choices,” Clinical Neurophysiology, vol. 121, no. 4, pp. 516–523, 2010.
- Sven Haller, Niels Birbaumer, and Ralf Veit, “Real-time fMRI feedback training may improve chronic tinnitus,” European Radiology, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 696–703, 2010.
- Gopikrishna Deshpande, Zhihao Li, Priya Santhanam, Claire D. Coles, Mary Ellen Lynch, Stephan Hamann, and Xiaoping Hu, “Recursive Cluster Elimination Based Support Vector Machine for Disease State Prediction Using Resting State Functional and Effective Brain Connectivity,” Plos One, vol. 5, no. 11, 2010.
- Elisabeth Hildt, “Brain-Computer interaction and medical access to the brain: Individual, social and ethical implications,” Studies in Ethics, Law, and Technology, vol. 4, no. 3, 2010.
- Krystyna A. Mathiak, Yury Koush, Miriam Dyck, Tilman J. Gaber, Eliza Alawi, Florian D. Zepf, Mikhail Zvyagintsev, and Klaus Mathiak, “Social reinforcement can regulate localized brain activity,” European Archives of Psychiatry and Clinical Neuroscience, vol. 260, pp. S132–S136, 2010.
- Bo Yu, Terrence Mak, Xiangyu Li, Fei Xia, Alex Yakovlev, Yihe Sun, and Chi-Sang Poon, “A reconfigurable Hebbian eigenfilter for neurophysiological spike train analysis,” Proceedings - 2010 International Conference on Field Programmable Logic and Applications, FPL 2010, pp. 556–561, 2010.
- Laurence Claes, Astrid Müller, Jan Norré, Leen Assche, Steve Wonderlich, and James E. Mitchell, “The Relationship Among Compulsive Buying, Compulsive Internet Use and Temperament in a Sample of Female Patients with Eating Disorders,” European Eating Disorders Review, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 126–131, 2011.
- Dennis J. McFarland, and Jonathan R. Wolpaw, “Brain-computer interfaces for communication and control,” Communications of the ACM, vol. 54, no. 5, pp. 60–66, 2011.
- Kay H. Brodersen, Florent Haiss, Cheng Soon Ong, Fabienne Jung, Marc Tittgemeyer, Joachim M. Buhmann, Bruno Weber, and Klaas E. Stephan, “Model-based feature construction for multivariate decoding,” NeuroImage, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 601–615, 2011.
- Sangkyun Lee, Sergio Ruiz, Andrea Caria, Ralf Veit, Niels Birbaumer, and Ranganatha Sitaram, “Detection of Cerebral Reorganization Induced by Real-Time fMRI Feedback Training of Insula Activation: A Multivariate Investigation,” Neurorehabilitation And Neural Repair, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 259–267, 2011.
- Bo Yu, Terrence Mak, Xiangyu Li, Fei Xia, Alexandre Yakovlev, Yihe Sun, and Chi-Sang Poon, “Real-time FPGA-based multichannel spike sorting using hebbian eigenfilters,” IEEE Journal on Emerging and Selected Topics in Circuits and Systems, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 502–515, 2011.
- Fabrice Jotterand, ““Virtue Engineering” and Moral Agency: Will Post-Humans Still Need the Virtues?,” AJOB Neuroscience, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 3–9, 2011.
- Laurence Claes, Patricia Bijttebier, James E. Mitchell, Martina De Zwaan, and Astrid Mueller, “The relationship between compulsive buying, eating disorder symptoms, and temperament in a sample of female students,” Comprehensive Psychiatry, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 50–55, 2011.
- Hasan Ayaz, Patricia A. Shewokis, Scott Bunce, and Banu Onaral, “An optical brain computer interface for environmental control,” Proceedings of the Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, EMBS, pp. 6327–6330, 2011.
- Juan-Manuel Belda-Lois, Silvia Mena-Del Horno, Ignacio Bermejo-Bosch, Juan C. Moreno, José L. Pons, Dario Farina, Marco Iosa, Marco Molinari, Federica Tamburella, Ander Ramos, Andrea Caria, Teodoro Solis-Escalante, Clemens Brunner, and Massimiliano Rea, “Rehabilitation of gait after stroke: A review towards a top-down approach,” Journal of NeuroEngineering and Rehabilitation, vol. 8, no. 1, 2011.
- Patrik Andersson, Josien P. W. Pluim, Max A. Viergever, and Nick F. Ramsey, “Navigation of a Telepresence Robot via Covert Visuospatial Attention and Real-Time fMRI,” Brain Topography, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 177–185, 2012.
- Lorina Naci, Martin M. Monti, Damian Cruse, Andrea Kübler, Bettina Sorger, Rainer Goebel, Boris Kotchoubey, and Adrian M. Owen, “Brain-computer interfaces for communication with nonresponsive patients,” Annals of Neurology, vol. 72, no. 3, pp. 312–323, 2012.
- Giulia Liberati, and Niels Birbaumer, “Using brain–computer interfaces to overcome the extinction of goal-directed thinking in minimally conscious state patients,” Cognitive Processing, vol. 13, no. S1, pp. 239–241, 2012.
- Sabine Frank, Sangkyun Lee, Hubert Preissl, Bernd Schultes, Niels Birbaumer, and Ralf Veit, “The Obese Brain Athlete: Self-Regulation of the Anterior Insula in Adiposity,” Plos One, vol. 7, no. 8, 2012.
- J. -A. Micoulaud-Franchi, E. Fakra, M. Cermolacce, and J. Vion-Dury, “Towards a new approach of neurophysiology in clinical psychiatry: Functional magnetic resonance imaging neurofeedback applied to emotional dysfunctions,” Neurophysiologie Clinique-Clinical Neurophysiology, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 79–94, 2012.
- Emanuele Pasqualotto, Stefano Federici, and Marta Olivetti Belardinelli, “Toward functioning and usable brain-computer interfaces (BCIs): A literature review,” Disability and Rehabilitation: Assistive Technology, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 89–103, 2012.
- Youngwook Seo, Seungduk Lee, Dalkwon Koh, and Beop-Min Kim, “Partial Least Squares-discriminant Analysis for the Prediction of Hemodynamic Changes Using Near Infrared Spectroscopy,” Journal Of The Optical Society Of Korea, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 57–62, 2012.
- Yury Koush, Mikhail Zvyagintsev, Miriam Dyck, Krystyna A. Mathiak, and Klaus Mathiak, “Signal quality and Bayesian signal processing in neurofeedback based on real-time fMRI,” Neuroimage, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 478–489, 2012.
- Alkinoos Athanasiou, Chrysa Lithari, Konstantina Kalogianni, Manousos A. Klados, and Panagiotis D. Bamidis, “Source Detection and Functional Connectivity of the Sensorimotor Cortex during Actual and Imaginary Limb Movement: A Preliminary Study on the Implementation of eConnectome in Motor Imagery Protocols,” Advances in Human-Computer Interaction, vol. 2012, pp. 1–10, 2012.
- Giulia Liberati, Josué Luiz Dalboni Da Rocha, Linda Van Der Heiden, Antonino Raffone, Niels Birbaumer, Marta Olivetti Belardinelli, and Ranganatha Sitaram, “Toward a brain-computer interface for Alzheimer's disease patients by combining classical conditioning and brain state classification,” Journal of Alzheimer's Disease, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. S211–S220, 2012.
- Savani Bartholdy, Peter Musiat, Iain C. Campbell, and Ulrike Schmidt, “The Potential of Neurofeedback in the Treatment of Eating Disorders: A Review of the Literature,” European Eating Disorders Review, 2013.
- S.E. Kober, G. Wood, J. Kurzmann, E.V.C. Friedrich, M. Stangl, T. Wippel, A. Väljamäe, and C. Neuper, “Near-Infrared Spectroscopy based Neurofeedback Training increases Specific Motor Imagery Related Cortical Activation compared to Sham Feedback,” Biological Psychology, 2013.
- Martina Reske, “What neuroimaging has and has not yet added to our understanding of addiction,” Addiction, 2013.
- L. Mayaud, S. Filipe, L. Pétégnief, O. Rochecouste, and M. Congedo, “Robust Brain-computer Interface for virtual Keyboard (RoBIK): Project results,” Irbm, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 131–138, 2013.
- Yujuan Zhao, Lin Tang, Robert Rennaker, Chris Hutchens, and Tamer S. Ibrahim, “Studies in RF Power Communication, SAR, and Temperature Elevation in Wireless Implantable Neural Interfaces,” Plos One, vol. 8, no. 11, 2013.
- Carolin Anne Ruf, Adrian Furdea, Emanuele Pasqualotto, Daniele De Massari, Linda van der Heiden, Martin Bogdan, Wolfgang Rosenstiel, Niels Birbaumer, Andrea Kuebler, and Tamara Matuz, “Prediction of P300 BCI Aptitude in Severe Motor Impairment,” Plos One, vol. 8, no. 10, 2013.
- Laurence Claes, Jan Norré, Leen Van Assche, and Patricia Bijttebier, “Non-suicidal self-injury (functions) in eating disorders: Associations with reactive and regulative temperament,” Personality and Individual Differences, 2013.
- D. DeGrazia, “Moral enhancement, freedom, and what we (should) value in moral behaviour,” Journal of Medical Ethics, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 361–368, 2013.
- Kilian Vomstein, Bram Stieltjes, and Luise Poustka, “Structural connectivity and diffusion tensor imaging in autism spectrum disorders,” Zeitschrift Fur Kinder-Und Jugendpsychiatrie Und Psychotherapie, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 59–68, 2013.
- Saba Moghimi, Azadeh Kushki, Anne Marie Guerguerian, and Tom Chau, “A Review of EEG-Based Brain-Computer Interfaces as Access Pathways for Individuals with Severe Disabilities,” Assistive Technology, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 99–110, 2013.
- Niels Birbaumer, and Sergio Ruiz, “Learned regulation of brain metabolism,” Trends In Cognitive Sciences, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 295–302, 2013.
- Carolin A Ruf, Daniele De Massari, Adrian Furdea, Tamara Matuz, Chiara Fioravanti, Linda van der Heiden, Sebastian Halder, and Niels Birbaumer, “Semantic classical conditioning and brain-computer interface control: encoding of affirmative and negative thinking.,” Frontiers in neuroscience, vol. 7, pp. 23, 2013.
- Sergio Ruiz, Niels Birbaumer, and Ranganatha Sitaram, “Abnormal neural connectivity in schizophrenia and fMRI-brain-computer interface as a potential therapeutic approach,” Frontiers in Psychiatry, vol. 4, 2013.
- Mingqi Hui, Hang Zhang, Ruiyang Ge, Li Yao, and Zhiying Long, “Modulation of functional network with real-time fMRI feedback training of right premotor cortex activity,” Neuropsychologia, vol. 62, pp. 111–123, 2014.
- M. Gröne, M. Dyck, Y. Koush, S. Bergert, K. A. Mathiak, E. M. Alawi, M. Elliott, and K. Mathiak, “Upregulation of the Rostral Anterior Cingulate Cortex can Alter the Perception of Emotions: fMRI-Based Neurofeedback at 3 and 7 T,” Brain Topography, 2014.
- Massimiliano Rea, Mohit Rana, Nicola Lugato, Pavel Terekhin, Leonardo Gizzi, Doris Broetz, Andreas Fallgatter, Niels Birbaumer, Ranganatha Sitaram Phd, and Andrea Caria, “Lower Limb Movement Preparation in Chronic Stroke: A Pilot Study Toward an fNIRS-BCI for Gait Rehabilitation,” Neurorehabilitation and Neural Repair, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 564–575, 2014.
- Jean-Arthur Micoulaud-Franchi, Clelia Quiles, Guillaume Fond, Michel Cermolacce, and Jean Vion-Dury, “The covariation of independent and dependant variables in neurofeedback: A proposal framework to identify cognitive processes and brain activity variables,” Consciousness and Cognition, vol. 26, pp. 162–168, 2014.
- Fabrice Jotterand, “Questioning the Moral Enhancement Project,” The American Journal of Bioethics, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 1–3, 2014.
- Mo Chen, Junwei Han, Xintao Hu, Xi Jiang, Lei Guo, and Tianming Liu, “Survey of encoding and decoding of visual stimulus via FMRI: an image analysis perspective,” Brain Imaging and Behavior, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 7–23, 2014.
- Niels Birbaumer, and Friedhelm C. Hummel, “Habit learning and brain–machine interfaces (BMI): a tribute to Valentino Braitenberg’s “Vehicles”,” Biological Cybernetics, 2014.
- Moses O. Sokunbi, David E. J. Linden, Isabelle Habes, Stephen Johnston, and Niklas Ihssen, “Real-time fMRI brain-computer interface: development of a â€œmotivational feedbackâ€ subsystem for the regulation of visual cue reactivity,” Frontiers in Behavioral Neuroscience, vol. 8, 2014.
- Ranganatha Sitaram, Andrea Caria, Ralf Veit, Tilman Gaber, Sergio Ruiz, and Niels Birbaumer, “Volitional control of the anterior insula in criminal psychopaths using real-time fMRI neurofeedback: a pilot study,” Frontiers in Behavioral Neuroscience, vol. 8, 2014.
- Ke Liao, Ran Xiao, and Jania Gonzalez, “Decoding Individual Finger Movements from One Hand Using Human EEG Signals,” Plos One, vol. 9, no. 1, 2014.
- Anna Zilverstand, Bettina Sorger, Jan Zimmermann, Amanda Kaas, and Rainer Goebel, “Windowed Correlation: A Suitable Tool for Providing Dynamic fMRI-Based Functional Connectivity Neurofeedback on Task Difficulty,” Plos One, vol. 9, no. 1, 2014.
- Fabrice Jotterand, “Psychopathy, neurotechnologies, and neuroethics,” Theoretical Medicine and Bioethics, 2014.
- Nathaniel E. Anderson, and Kent A. Kiehl, “Psychopathy: Developmental perspectives and their implications for treatment,” Restorative Neurology and Neuroscience, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 103–117, 2014.
- Luise Poustka, Daniel Brandeis, Sarah Hohmann, Martin Holtmann, Sven Bolte, and Tobias Banaschewski, “Neurobiologically based interventions for autism spectrum disorders-rationale and new directions,” Restorative Neurology and Neuroscience, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 197–212, 2014.
- Saurabh Kumar Agarwal, Saatvik Shah, and Rajesh Kumar, “Group based Swarm evolution algorithm (GSEA) driven mental task classifier,” Memetic Computing, 2015.
- Jiahui Shen, Gaoyan Zhang, Li Yao, and Xiaojie Zhao, “Real-time fMRI training-induced changes in regional connectivity mediating verbal working memory behavioral performance,” Neuroscience, 2015.