- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Computational Intelligence and Neuroscience
Volume 2007 (2007), Article ID 37695, 14 pages
Temporal and Spatial Features of Single-Trial EEG for Brain-Computer Interface
Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai 200240, China
Received 31 December 2006; Revised 23 February 2007; Accepted 18 June 2007
Academic Editor: Fabio Babiloni
Copyright © 2007 Qibin Zhao and Liqing Zhang. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. R. Wolpaw, N. Birbaumer, W. J. Heetderks, et al., “Brain-computer interface technology: a review of the first international meeting,” IEEE Transactions on Rehabilitation Engineering, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 164–173, 2000.
- J. R. Wolpaw, N. Birbaumer, D. J. McFarland, G. Pfurtscheller, and T. M. Vaughan, “Brain-computer interfaces for communication and control,” Clinical Neurophysiology, vol. 113, no. 6, pp. 767–791, 2002.
- L. A. Farwell and E. Donchin, “Talking off the top of your head: toward a mental prosthesis utilizing event-related brain potentials,” Electroencephalography and Clinical Neurophysiology, vol. 70, no. 6, pp. 510–523, 1988.
- G. Pfurtscheller, C. Neuper, D. Flotzinger, and M. Pregenzer, “EEG-based discrimination between imagination of right and left hand movement,” Electroencephalography and Clinical Neurophysiology, vol. 103, no. 6, pp. 642–651, 1997.
- J. R. Wolpaw and D. J. McFarland, “Multichannel EEG-based brain-computer communication,” Electroencephalography and Clinical Neurophysiology, vol. 90, no. 6, pp. 444–449, 1994.
- N. Birbaumer, N. Ghanayim, T. Hinterberger, et al., “A spelling device for the paralysed,” Nature, vol. 398, no. 6725, pp. 297–298, 1999.
- J. R. Wolpaw, D. J. McFarland, and T. M. Vaughan, “Brain-computer interface research at the Wadsworth Center,” IEEE Transactions on Rehabilitation Engineering, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 222–226, 2000.
- Y. Li, X. Gao, H. Liu, and S. Gao, “Classification of single-trial electroencephalogram during finger movement,” IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 1019–1025, 2004.
- Y. Wang, Z. Zhang, Y. Li, X. Gao, S. Gao, and F. Yang, “BCI competition 2003-data set IV: an algorithm based on CSSD and FDA for classifying single-trial EEG,” IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 1081–1086, 2004.
- H. Ramoser, J. Müller-Gerking, and G. Pfurtscheller, “Optimal spatial filtering of single trial EEG during imagined hand movement,” IEEE Transactions on Rehabilitation Engineering, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 441–446, 2000.
- J. Müller-Gerking, G. Pfurtscheller, and H. Flyvbjerg, “Designing optimal spatial filters for single-trial EEG classification in a movement task,” Clinical Neurophysiology, vol. 110, no. 5, pp. 787–798, 1999.
- G. Dornhege, B. Blankertz, G. Curio, and K.-R. Müller, “Increase information transfer rates in BCI by CSP extension to multi-class,” in Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems 16 (NIPS '03), vol. 3, Vancouver, BC, Canada, December 2004.
- L. Zhang, “Temporal independent component analysis for separating noisy signals,” in Proceedings of the 11th International Conference of Neural Information Processing (ICONIP '04), vol. 3316 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 1064–1069, Calcutta, India, November 2004.
- H. Jasper and W. Penfield, “Electrocorticograms in man: effect of voluntary movement upon the electrical activity of the precentral gyrus,” European Archives of Psychiatry and Clinical Neuroscience, vol. 183, no. 1–2, pp. 163–174, 1949.
- G. Dornhege, B. Blankertz, M. Krauledat, F. Losch, G. Curio, and K.-R. Müller, “Combined optimization of spatial and temporal filters for improving brain-computer interfacing,” IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 53, no. 11, pp. 2274–2281, 2006.
- S. Amari and A. Cichocki, “Adaptive blind signal processing-neural network approaches,” Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 86, no. 10, pp. 2026–2048, 1998.
- D. T. Pham, “Mutual information approach to blind separation of stationary sources,” IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. 48, no. 7, pp. 1935–1946, 2002.
- S.-I. Amari and J.-F. Cardoso, “Blind source separation-semiparametric statistical approach,” IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 45, no. 11, pp. 2692–2700, 1997.
- L.-Q. Zhang, A. Cichocki, and S. Amari, “Geometrical structures of FIR manifold and multichannel blind deconvolution,” Journal of VLSI Signal Processing Systems, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 31–44, 2002.
- L. Zhang, A. Cichocki, and S. Amari, “Self-adaptive blind source separation based on activation functions adaptation,” IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 233–244, 2004.
- C. J. James and O. J. Gibson, “Temporally constrained ICA: an application to artifact rejection in electromagnetic brain signal analysis,” IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 50, no. 9, pp. 1108–1116, 2003.
- W. Lu and J. C. Rajapakse, “ICA with reference,” in Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Independent Component Analysis and Blind Source Separation (ICA '01), pp. 120–125, San Diego, Calif, USA, December 2001.
- Z. J. Koles and A. C. K. Soong, “EEG source localization: implementing the spatio-temporal decomposition approach,” Electroencephalography and Clinical Neurophysiology, vol. 107, no. 5, pp. 343–352, 1998.
- A. Delorme and S. Makeig, “EEGLAB: an open source toolbox for analysis of single-trial EEG dynamics including independent component analysis,” Journal of Neuroscience Methods, vol. 134, no. 1, pp. 9–21, 2004.
- A. L. Blum and P. Langley, “Selection of relevant features and examples in machine learning,” Artificial Intelligence, vol. 97, no. 1–2, pp. 245–271, 1997.
- N. Kwak and C.-H. Choi, “Improved mutual information feature selector for neural networks in supervised learning,” in International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (IJCNN '99), vol. 2, pp. 1313–1318, Washington, DC, USA, July 1999.