- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Computational Intelligence and Neuroscience
Volume 2009 (2009), Article ID 659247, 11 pages
The Neuroelectromagnetic Inverse Problem and the Zero Dipole Localization Error
1Electrical Neuroimaging Group, Neurology Department, Geneva University Hospital, 24 Rue Micheli du Crest, 1211 Geneva 14, Switzerland
2Neurodynamics Laboratory, Department of Psychiatry and Clinical Psychobiology, University of Barcelona, 08035 Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
3Cognition and Brain Sciences Unit, Medical Research Council, 15 Chaucer Road, Cambridge, CB2 7EF, UK
Received 3 October 2008; Revised 29 January 2009; Accepted 24 March 2009
Academic Editor: Fabio Babiloni
Copyright © 2009 Rolando Grave de Peralta et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. M. Michel, M. M. Murray, G. Lantz, S. L. Gonzalez, L. Spinelli, and R. Grave de Peralta Menendez, “EEG source imaging,” Clinical Neurophysiology, vol. 115, no. 10, pp. 2195–2222, 2004.
- J. Gross, L. Timmermann, J. Kujala, R. Salmelin, and A. Schnitzler, “Properties of MEG tomographic maps obtained with spatial filtering,” NeuroImage, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 1329–1336, 2003.
- A. K. Liu, A. M. Dale, and J. W. Belliveau, “Monte Carlo simulation studies of EEG and MEG localization accuracy,” Human Brain Mapping, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 47–62, 2002.
- O. David, D. Cosmelli, D. Hasboun, and L. Garnero, “A multitrial analysis for revealing significant corticocortical networks in magnetoencephalography and electroencephalography,” NeuroImage, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 186–201, 2003.
- L. J. Waldorp, H. M. Huizenga, R. P. P. P. Grasman, K. B. E. Böcker, and P. C. M. Molenaar, “Hypothesis testing in distributed source models for EEG and MEG data,” Human Brain Mapping, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 114–128, 2006.
- G. Backus and F. Gilbert, “The resolving power of gross earth data,” Geophysical Journal of the Royal Astronomical Society, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 169–205, 1968.
- R. Grave de Peralta Menendez and S. L. Gonzalez Andino, “A critical analysis of linear inverse solutions to the neuroelectromagnetic inverse problem,” IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 440–448, 1998.
- K. Sekihara, M. Sahani, and S. S. Nagarajan, “Localization bias and spatial resolution of adaptive and non-adaptive spatial filters for MEG source reconstruction,” NeuroImage, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 1056–1067, 2005.
- R. D. Pascual-Marqui, “Standardized low-resolution brain electromagnetic tomography (sLORETA): technical details,” Methods and Findings in Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 24, pp. 5–12, 2002.
- R. Grave de Peralta Menendez, S. L. Gonzalez Andino, and B. Lütkenhöner, “Figures of merit to compare distributed linear inverse solutions,” Brain Topography, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 117–124, 1996.
- R. Grave de Peralta Menendez, S. L. Gonzalez Andino, G. Lantz, C. M. Michel, and T. Landis, “Noninvasive localization of electromagnetic epileptic activity. I. Method descriptions and simulations,” Brain Topography, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 131–137, 2001.
- R. D. Pascual-Marqui and C. M. Michel, “LORETA: new authentic 3D functional images of the brain,” ISBET Newsletter, no. 5, pp. 4–8, November 1994, Edited by W. Skrandies.
- R. Grave de Peralta Menendez and S. L. Gonzalez Andino, “Discussing the capabilities of Laplacian minimization,” Brain Topography, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 97–104, 2000.
- C. Phillips, M. D. Rugg, and K. J. Friston, “Systematic regularization of linear inverse solutions of the EEG source localization problem,” NeuroImage, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 287–301, 2002.
- R. Grave de Peralta Menendez, S. L. Gonzalez Andino, S. Morand, C. M. Michel, and T. Landis, “Imaging the electrical activity of the brain: ELECTRA,” Human Brain Mapping, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 1–12, 2000.
- M. Hämäläinen, R. Hari, R. J. Ilmoniemi, J. Knuutila, and O. V. Lounasmaa, “Magnetoencephalography theory, instrumentation, and applications to noninvasive studies of the working human brain,” Reviews of Modern Physics, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. 413–497, 1993.
- W. Menke, Geophysical Data Analysis: Discrete Inverse Theory, Academic Press, San Diego, Calif, USA, 1989.
- J. G. Berryman, “Analysis of approximate inverses in tomography. I. Resolution analysis of common inverses,” Optimization and Engineering, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 87–115, 2000.
- R. Grave de Peralta Menendez, P. Morier, F. Picard, T. Landis, and S. L. Gonzalez Andino, “Simple techniques for EEG source imaging,” International Journal of Bioelectromagnetism, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. V/1–V/8, 2006.
- S. E. Robinson, “Localization of event-related activity by SAM(erf),” Neurology & Clinical Neurophysiology, vol. 2004, p. 109, 2004.
- S. L. Gonzalez Andino, O. Blanke, G. Lantz, G. Thut, and R. Grave de Peralta Menendez, “The use of functional constraints for the neuroelectromagnetic inverse problems: alternatives and caveats,” International Journal of Bioelectromagnetism, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 55–66, 2001.
- J. S. Ebersole, “Non-invasive localization of the epileptogenic focus by EEG dipole modeling,” Acta Neurologica Scandinavica, vol. 89, pp. 20–28, 1994.
- T. Bast, O. Oezkan, S. Rona, et al., “EEG and MEG source analysis of single and averaged interictal spikes reveals intrinsic epileptogenicity in focal cortical dysplasia,” Epilepsia, vol. 45, no. 6, pp. 621–631, 2004.
- M. Scherg, T. Bast, and P. Berg, “Multiple source analysis of interictal spikes: goals, requirements, and clinical value,” Journal of Clinical Neurophysiology, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 214–224, 1999.
- C. M. Michel, G. Lantz, L. Spinelli, R. Grave de Peralta Menendez, T. Landis, and M. Seeck, “128-channel EEG source imaging in epilepsy: clinical yield and localization precision,” Journal of Clinical Neurophysiology, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 71–83, 2004.
- G. Lantz, R. Grave de Peralta Menendez, S. L. Gonzalez Andino, and C. M. Michel, “Noninvasive localization of electromagnetic epileptic activity. II. Demonstration of sublobar accuracy in patients with simultaneous surface and depth recordings,” Brain Topography, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 139–147, 2001.
- R. Grave de Peralta Menendez, M. M. Murray, C. M. Michel, R. Martuzzi, and S. L. Gonzalez Andino, “Electrical neuroimaging based on biophysical constraints,” NeuroImage, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 527–539, 2004.
- N. K. Logothetis and B. A. Wandell, “Interpreting the BOLD signal,” Annual Review of Physiology, vol. 66, pp. 735–769, 2004.
- S. L. Gonzalez Andino, C. M. Michel, G. Thut, T. Landis, and R. Grave de Peralta Menendez, “Prediction of response speed by anticipatory high-frequency (gamma band) oscillations in the human brain,” Human Brain Mapping, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 50–58, 2005.
- S. L. Gonzalez Andino, R. Grave de Peralta Menendez, A. Khateb, A. J. Pegna, G. Thut, and T. Landis, “A glimpse into your vision,” Human Brain Mapping, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 614–624, 2007.
- S. L. Gonzalez Andino, R. Grave de Peralta Menendez, A. Khateb, T. Landis, and A. J. Pegna, “Electrophysiological correlates of affective blindsight,” NeuroImage, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 581–589, 2009.