- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Computational Intelligence and Neuroscience
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 254032, 8 pages
DTI Parameter Optimisation for Acquisition at 1.5T: SNR Analysis and Clinical Application
1Polo Tecnologico, Fondazione Don Gnocchi ONLUS, IRCCS S. Maria Nascente, 20148 Milano, Italy
2Department of Bioengineering, Politecnico di Milano, 20133 Milan, Italy
3U.O. Sclerosi Multipla, Fondazione Don Gnocchi ONLUS, IRCCS S. Maria Nascente, 20148 Milano, Italy
Received 13 July 2009; Accepted 7 October 2009
Academic Editor: Fabio Babiloni
Copyright © 2010 M. Laganà et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. J. Basser, J. Mattiello, and D. Lebihan, “Estimation of the effective self-diffusion tensor from the NMR spin echo,” Journal of Magnetic Resonance B, vol. 103, no. 3, pp. 247–254, 1994.
- M. Rovaris, F. Agosta, E. Pagani, and M. Filippi, “Diffusion tensor MR imaging,” Neuroimaging Clinics of North America, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 37–43, 2009.
- M. Cercignani, G. Lannucci, and M. Filippi, “Diffusion-weighted imaging in multiple sclerosis,” The Italian Journal of Neurological Sciences, vol. 20, supplement 2, pp. S246–S249, 1999.
- D. H. Miller, A. J. Thompson, and M. Filippi, “Magnetic resonance studies of abnormalities in the normal appearing white matter and grey matter in multiple sclerosis,” Journal of Neurology, vol. 250, no. 12, pp. 1407–1419, 2003.
- M. Rovaris, A. Gass, R. Bammer, et al., “Diffusion MRI in multiple sclerosis,” Neurology, vol. 65, no. 10, pp. 1526–1532, 2005.
- D. K. Jones, M. A. Horsfield, and A. Simmons, “Optimal strategies for measuring diffusion in anisotropic systems by magnetic resonance imaging,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 515–525, 1999.
- X. Liu, T. Zhu, T. Gu, and J. Zhong, “Optimization of in vivo high-resolution DTI of non-human primates on a 3T human scanner,” Methods. In press.
- R. M. Henkelman, “Measurement of signal intensities in the presence of noise in MR images,” Medical Physics, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 232–233, 1985.
- L. Kaufman, D. M. Kramer, L. E. Crooks, and D. A. Ortendahl, “Measuring signal-to-noise ratios in MR imaging,” Radiology, vol. 173, no. 1, pp. 265–267, 1989.
- R. M. Sano, MRI: Acceptance Testing and Quality Control: The Role of the Clinical Medical Physicist, Medical Physics, Madison, Wis, USA, 1988.
- B. W. Murphy, P. L. Carson, J. H. Ellis, Y. T. Zhang, R. J. Hyde, and T. L. Chenevert, “Signal-to-noise measures for magnetic resonance imagers,” Magnetic Resonance Imaging, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 425–428, 1993.
- J. Sijbers, A. J. den Dekker, D. Poot, et al., “Robust estimation of the noise variance from background MR data,” in Medical Imaging 2006: Image Processing, vol. 6144 of Proceedings of SPIE, pp. 1–11, San Diego, Calif, USA, February 2006.
- J. Sijbers, A. J. den Dekker, J. Van Audekerke, M. Verhoye, and D. Van Dyck, “Estimation of the noise in magnitude MR images,” Magnetic Resonance Imaging, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 87–90, 1998.
- S. Mori, B. J. Crain, V. P. Chacko, and P. C. M. van Zijl, “Three-dimensional tracking of axonal projections in the brain by magnetic resonance imaging,” Annals of Neurology, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 265–269, 1999.
- T. E. Conturo, N. F. Lori, T. S. Cull, et al., “Tracking neuronal fiber pathways in the living human brain,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 96, no. 18, pp. 10422–10427, 1999.
- P. J. Basser, S. Pajevic, C. Pierpaoli, J. Duda, and A. Aldroubi, “In vivo fiber tractography using DT-MRI data,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 625–632, 2000.
- A. Ogura, A. Miyai, F. Maeda, H. Fukutake, and R. Kikumoto, “Accuracy of signal-to-noise ratio measurement method for magnetic resonance images,” Japanese Journal of Radiological Technology, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 508–513, 2003.
- National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA), Determination of Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR) in Diagnostic Magnetic Resonance Imaging, NEMA Standard Publication no. MS 1-2001, National Electrical Manufacturers Association, Rosslyn, Va, USA, 2001.
- S. B. Reeder, B. J. Wintersperger, O. Dietrich, et al., “Practical approaches to the evaluation of signal-to-noise ratio performance with parallel imaging: application with cardiac imaging and a 32-channel cardiac coil,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 54, no. 3, pp. 748–754, 2005.
- O. Dietrich, J. G. Raya, S. B. Reeder, M. F. Reiser, and S. O. Schoenberg, “Measurement of signal-to-noise ratios in MR images: influence of multichannel coils, parallel imaging, and reconstruction filters,” Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 375–385, 2007.
- H. Imai, T. Miyati, A. Ogura, et al., “Signal-to-noise ratio measurement in parallel MRI with subtraction mapping and consecutive methods,” Nippon Hoshasen Gijutsu Gakkai Zasshi, vol. 64, no. 8, pp. 930–936, 2008.
- D. Weber, “Quality Control Issues in MRI,” 1998.
- J. Sijbers, D. Poot, A. J. den Dekker, and W. Pintjens, “Automatic estimation of the noise variance from the histogram of a magnetic resonance image,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 1335–1348, 2007.
- J. Ashburner and K. Friston, “Multimodal image coregistration and partitioning—a unified framework,” NeuroImage, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 209–217, 1997.
- P. J. Basser, J. Mattiello, and D. LeBihan, “MR diffusion tensor spectroscopy and imaging,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 66, no. 1, pp. 259–267, 1994.
- M. Catani and M. Thiebaut de Schotten, “A diffusion tensor imaging tractography atlas for virtual in vivo dissections,” Cortex, vol. 44, no. 8, pp. 1105–1132, 2008.
- E. Pagani, M. Rovaris, J. G. Hirsch, et al., “Optimising diffusion measurements for large-scale, multicentre multiple sclerosis trials: a pan-European study,” Journal of Neurology, vol. 255, no. 3, p. 342, 2008.
- O. Ciccarelli, M. Catani, H. Johansen-Berg, C. Clark, and A. Thompson, “Diffusion-based tractography in neurological disorders: concepts, applications, and future developments,” The Lancet Neurology, vol. 7, no. 8, pp. 715–727, 2008.
- D. K. Jones and P. J. Basser, ““Squashing peanuts and smashing pumpkins”: how noise distorts diffusion-weighted MR data,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 979–993, 2004.
- Y. Assaf and O. Pasternak, “Diffusion tensor imaging (DTI)-based white matter mapping in brain research: a review,” Journal of Molecular Neuroscience, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 51–61, 2008.
- D. S. Tuch, T. G. Reese, M. R. Wiegell, N. Makris, J. W. Belliveau, and V. J. Wedeen, “High angular resolution diffusion imaging reveals intravoxel white matter fiber heterogeneity,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 577–582, 2002.
- D. S. Tuch, T. G. Reese, M. R. Wiegell, and V. J. Wedeen, “Diffusion MRI of complex neural architecture,” Neuron, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 885–895, 2003.
- K. M. Jansons and D. C. Alexander, “Persistent Angular Structure: new insights from diffusion MRI data. Dummy version,” in Information Processing in Medical Imaging, vol. 2732, pp. 672–683, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2003.