- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 145926, 9 pages
A Novel Approach to Segment and Classify Regional Lymph Nodes on Computed Tomography Images
1School of Computer Science and Engineering, South China University of Technology, Guangzhou 510006, China
2State Key Laboratory of Oncology in Southern China, Imaging Diagnosis and Interventional Center, Cancer Center, Sun Yat-Sen University, Guangzhou 510060, China
3Department of Automation, Sun Yat-Sen University, Guangzhou 510006, China
Received 19 June 2012; Revised 21 September 2012; Accepted 28 September 2012
Academic Editor: Henggui Zhang
Copyright © 2012 Hongmin Cai et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Rosenberg, J. Friederichs, T. Schuster et al., “Prognosis of patients with colorectal cancer is associated with lymph node ratio a single-center analysis of 3026 patients over a 25-year time period,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 248, no. 6, pp. 968–978, 2008.
- G. Brown, C. J. Richards, M. W. Bourne et al., “Morphologic predictors of lymph node status in rectal cancer with use of high-spatial-resolution MR imaging with histopathologic comparison,” Radiology, vol. 227, no. 2, pp. 371–377, 2003.
- J. H. Kim, G. L. Beets, M. J. Kim, A. G. H. Kessels, and R. G. H. Beets-Tan, “High-resolution MR imaging for nodal staging in rectal cancer: are there any criteria in addition to the size?” European Journal of Radiology, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 78–83, 2004.
- M. J. Lahaye, G. L. Beets, S. M. E. Engelen et al., “Locally advanced rectal cancer: MR imaging for restaging after neoadjuvant radiation therapy with concomitant chemotherapy part II. What are the criteria to predict involved lymph nodes?” Radiology, vol. 252, no. 1, pp. 81–91, 2009.
- A. Takemura, A. Shimizu, and K. Hamamoto, “Discrimination of breast tumors in ultrasonic images using an ensemble classifier based on the adaboost algorithm with feature selection,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 598–609, 2010.
- Y. S. Kim, J. H. Kim, S. M. Yoon et al., “Lymph node ratio as a prognostic factor in patients with stage III rectal cancer treated with total mesorectal excision followed by chemoradiotherapy,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 74, no. 3, pp. 796–802, 2009.
- S. J. Moug, J. D. Saldanha, J. R. McGregor, M. Balsitis, and R. H. Diament, “Positive lymph node retrieval ratio optimises patient staging in colorectal cancer,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 100, no. 10, pp. 1530–1533, 2009.
- V. N. Vapnik, Statistical Learning Theory, Wiley-Interscience, 1998.
- L. I. Rudin, S. Osher, and E. Fatemi, “Nonlinear total variation based noise removal algorithms,” Physica D, vol. 60, no. 1-4, pp. 259–268, 1992.
- T. Chan, J. Shen, and L. Vese, “Variational PDE models in image processing,” Notices of the American Mathematical Society, vol. 50, pp. 14–26, 2003.
- P. Perona and J. Malik, “Scale-space and edge detection using anisotropic diffusion,” IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 12, no. 7, pp. 629–639, 1990.
- D. Barash, “A fundamental relationship between bilateral filtering, adaptive smoothing, and the nonlinear diffusion equation,” IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 844–847, 2002.
- M. Kass, A. Witkin, and D. Terzopoulos, “Snakes: active contour models,” International Journal of Computer Vision, vol. 1, pp. 321–332, 1987.
- C. Xu and J. L. Prince, “Snakes, shapes, and gradient vector flow,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 359–369, 1998.
- M. Jacob, T. Blu, and M. Unser, “Efficient energies and algorithms for parametric snakes,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 13, no. 9, pp. 1231–1244, 2004.
- N. Ray and S. T. Acton, “Motion gradient vector flow: an external force for tracking rolling leukocytes with shape and size constrained active contours,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 23, no. 12, pp. 1466–1478, 2004.
- H. Cai, X. Xu, J. Lu, J. W. Lichtman, S. P. Yung, and S. T. C. Wong, “Repulsive force based snake model to segment and track neuronal axons in 3D microscopy image stacks,” NeuroImage, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 1608–1620, 2006.
- X. Xie and M. Mirmehdi, “RAGS: region-aided geometric snake,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 640–652, 2004.
- K. B. Duan, J. C. Rajapakse, H. Wang, and F. Azuaje, “Multiple SVM-RFE for gene selection in cancer classification with expression data,” IEEE Transactions on Nanobioscience, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 228–234, 2005.
- T. S. Furey, N. Cristianini, N. Duffy, D. W. Bednarski, M. Schummer, and D. Haussler, “Support vector machine classification and validation of cancer tissue samples using microarray expression data,” Bioinformatics, vol. 16, no. 10, pp. 906–914, 2000.
- I. Guler and E. Ubeyli, “Multiclass support vector machines for EEG-signals classification,” IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine, vol. 11, pp. 117–126, 2007.
- M. Oskoei and H. Hu, “Support vector machine-based classification scheme for myoelectric control applied to upper limb,” IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 55, pp. 1956–1965, 2008.
- S. Osowski, R. Siroic, T. Markiewicz, and K. Siwek, “Application of support vector machine and genetic algorithm for improved blood cell recognition,” IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, vol. 58, no. 7, pp. 2159–2168, 2009.
- J. L. Rojo-Álvarez, J. Bermejo, V. M. Juárez-Caballero et al., “Support vector analysis of color-doppler images: a new approach for estimating indices of left ventricular function,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 1037–1043, 2006.
- L. Wei, Y. Yang, R. M. Nishikawa, and Y. Jiang, “A study on several machine-learning methods for classification of malignant and benign clustered microcalcifications,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 371–380, 2005.
- L. Wei, Y. Yang, R. M. Nishikawa, M. N. Wernick, and A. Edwards, “Relevance vector machine for automatic detection a of clustered microcalcifications,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 24, no. 10, pp. 1278–1285, 2005.
- A. Kampouraki, G. Manis, and C. Nikou, “Heartbeat time series classification with support vector machines,” IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 512–518, 2009.
- M. Moradi, P. Abolmaesumi, D. R. Siemens, E. E. Sauerbrei, A. H. Boag, and P. Mousavi, “Augmenting detection of prostate cancer in transrectal ultrasound images using SVM and RF time series,” IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 56, no. 9, pp. 2214–2224, 2009.
- D. Selvathi, R. S. R. Prakash, and S. T. Selvi, “Performance evaluation of kernel based techniques for brain MRI data classification,” in International Conference on Computational Intelligence and Multimedia Applications (ICCIMA '07), vol. 2, pp. 456–460, December 2007.
- M. L. Erickson, “Dissimilarity and the classification of male singing voices,” Journal of Voice, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 290–299, 2008.