- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 368050, 6 pages
Effect of Relative Marker Movement on the Calculation of the Foot Torsion Axis Using a Combined Cardan Angle and Helical Axis Approach
1Human Performance Laboratory, Faculty of Kinesiology, University of Calgary, 2500 University Drive NW, Calgary, AB, Canada T2N 1N4
2Adidas Innovation Team, Adidas, 5055 N Greeley Avenue, Portland, OR 97217, USA
Received 19 December 2011; Revised 21 February 2012; Accepted 27 February 2012
Academic Editor: Thierry Busso
Copyright © 2012 Eveline S. Graf et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. Debrunner, Biomechanics of the Foot, Ferdinand Enke-Verlag, Stuttgart, Germany, 1985.
- B. Segesser, E. Stüssi, M. von A Stacoff, X. Kälin, and R. Ackermann, “Torsion—a new concept in construction of sports shoes. Motion excursion of the foot in athletic stress—anatomical and biomechanical observations and their effects on construction of sports shoes,” Sportverletzung Sportschaden, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 167–182, 1989.
- A. Stacoff, X. Kaelin, E. Stuessi, and B. Segesser, “[Foot Movement during Landing after a Jump],” Zeitschrift fuer Orthopaedie, vol. 128, pp. 213–217, 1990.
- A. Stacoff, X. Kaelin, E. Stuessi, and B. Segesser, “The torsion of the foot in running,” International Journal of Sport Biomechanics, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 375–390, 1989.
- C. W. Spoor and F. E. Veldpaus, “Rigid body motion calculated from spatial co-ordinates of markers,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 391–393, 1980.
- E. Cattrysse, J.-P. Baeyens, P. van Roy, O. Van de Wiele, T. Roosens, and J. P. Clarys, “Intra-articular kinematics of the upper limb joints: a six degrees of freedom study of coupled motions,” Ergonomics, vol. 48, no. 11–14, pp. 1657–1671, 2005.
- S. C. Tay, R. van Riet, T. Kazunari, K. K. Amrami, K. N. An, and R. A. Berger, “In-vivo kinematic analysis of forearm rotation using helical axis analysis,” Clinical Biomechanics, vol. 25, no. 7, pp. 655–659, 2010.
- A. Chin, D. Lloyd, J. Alderson, B. Elliott, and P. Mills, “A marker-based mean finite helical axis model to determine elbow rotation axes and kinematics in vivo,” Journal of Applied Biomechanics, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 305–315, 2010.
- A. J. van den Bogert, C. Reinschmidt, and A. Lundberg, “Helical axes of skeletal knee joint motion during running,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 41, no. 8, pp. 1632–1638, 2008.
- L. Blankevoort, R. Huiskes, and A. de Lange, “Helical axes of passive knee joint motions,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 23, no. 12, pp. 1219–1229, 1990.
- G. J. M. Tuijthof, M. Zengerink, L. Beimers et al., “Determination of consistent patterns of range of motion in the ankle joint with a computed tomography stress-test,” Clinical Biomechanics, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 517–523, 2009.
- R. Shiavi, T. Limbird, M. Frazer, K. Stivers, A. Strauss, and J. Abramovitz, “Helical motion analysis of the knee—I. Methodology for studying kinematics during locomotion,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 459–469, 1987.
- H. J. Woltring, R. Huiskes, and A. De Lange, “Finite centroid and helical axis estimation from noisy landmark measurements in the study of human joint kinematics,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 379–389, 1985.
- L. M. Gallo, G. B. Airoldi, R. L. Airoldi, and S. Palla, “Description of mandibular finite helical axis pathways in asymptomatic subjects,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 76, no. 2, pp. 704–713, 1997.
- K. Hayashi, H. Tanaka, K. Hikita, and I. Mizoguchi, “Basic behavior of the finite helical axis in a simple tooth movement simulation,” Medical Engineering and Physics, vol. 26, no. 10, pp. 867–872, 2004.
- A. de Lange, R. Huiskes, and J. M. G. Kauer, “Effects of data smoothing on the reconstruction of helical axis parameters in human joint kinematics,” Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, vol. 112, no. 2, pp. 107–113, 1990.
- I. Soderkkvist and P. A. Wedin, “Determining the movements of the skeleton using well-configured markers,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 26, no. 12, pp. 1473–1477, 1993.
- E. M. Davis, S. C. Landry, and B. M. Nigg, “Torsion of the foot in low cut basketball shoes in four cutting movements,” Footwear Science, vol. 1, supplement 1, pp. 65–67, 2009.
- R. A. Fisher, Statistical Methods for Research Workers, Hafner, New York, NY, USA, 1958.
- C. Nester, R. K. Jones, A. Liu et al., “Foot kinematics during walking measured using bone and surface mounted markers,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 40, no. 15, pp. 3412–3423, 2007.
- J. H. Challis, “A procedure for determining rigid body transformation parameters,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 733–737, 1995.
- L. Graumann, M. Walther, B. Krabbe, and F. Kleindienst, “[The influence of sports-shoes mechanical properties on the frequency of lower-extremity athletic injuries],” Sportorthopaedie Sporttraumatologie, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 174–177, 2007.