- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 469769, 9 pages
Predictive Models for Maximum Recommended Therapeutic Dose of Antiretroviral Drugs
1School of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, University of KwaZulu-Natal, Durban 4001, South Africa
2School of Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32601, USA
Received 11 September 2011; Revised 4 November 2011; Accepted 18 November 2011
Academic Editor: John Hotchkiss
Copyright © 2012 Michael Lee Branham et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. A. Pkowitz, “AIDS: the first 20 years,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 344, no. 23, pp. 1764–1772, 2001.
- P. Piot, M. Bartos, P. D. Ghys, and N. Walker, “The global impact of HIV/AIDS,” Nature, vol. 410, no. 6831, pp. 968–973, 2001.
- K. H. Mayer and K. K. Venkatesh, “Antiretroviral therapy as HIV prevention: status and prospects,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 100, no. 10, pp. 1867–1876, 2010.
- E. de Clercq, “Anti-HIV drugs: 25 compounds approved within 25 years after the discovery of HIV,” International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 307–320, 2009.
- E. de Clercq, “Antiretroviral drugs,” Current Opinion in Pharmacology, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 507–515, 2010.
- G. C. Williams and P. J. Sinko, “Oral absorption of the HIV protease inhibitors: a current update,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 39, no. 1–3, pp. 211–238, 1999.
- E. Ojewole, I. Mackraj, P. Naidoo, and T. Govender, “Exploring the use of novel drug delivery systems for antiretroviral drugs,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 70, no. 3, pp. 697–710, 2008.
- C. Y. Wu and L. Z. Benet, “Predicting drug disposition via application of BCS: transport/absorption/ elimination interplay and development of a biopharmaceutics drug disposition classification system,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 11–23, 2005.
- M. A. Cosenza, M. L. Zhao, and S. C. Lee, “HIV-1 expression protects macrophages and microglia from apoptotic death,” Neuropathology and Applied Neurobiology, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 478–490, 2004.
- C. M. Bates, “HIV medicine: drug side effects and interactions,” Postgraduate Medical Journal, vol. 72, no. 843, pp. 30–36, 1996.
- D. D. Richman, D. M. Margolis, M. Delaney, W. C. Greene, D. Hazuda, and R. J. Pomerantz, “The challenge of finding a cure for HIV infection,” Science, vol. 323, no. 5919, pp. 1304–1307, 2009.
- C. Flexner, “HIV drug development: the next 25 years,” Nature Reviews Drug Discovery, vol. 6, no. 12, pp. 959–966, 2007.
- R. D. Benz, “Toxicological and clinical computational analysis and the US FDA/CDER,” Expert Opinion on Drug Metabolism and Toxicology, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 109–124, 2007.
- P. Palumbo, H. Wu, E. Chadwick et al., “Virologic response to potent antiretroviral therapy and modeling of HIV dynamics in early pediatric infection,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 196, no. 1, pp. 23–29, 2007.
- D. Woolfson, M. L. Umrethia, V. L. Kett, and R. K. Malcolm, “Freeze-dried, mucoadhesive system for vaginal delivery of the HIV microbicide, dapivirine: optimisation by an ANN,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 388, no. 1-2, pp. 136–143, 2010.
- N. Subramanian, A. Yajnik, and R. S. Murthy, “Artificial neural network as an alternative to multiple regression analysis in optimizing formulation parameters of cytarabine liposomes,” AAPS PharmSciTech, vol. 5, no. 1, p. E4, 2004.
- J. F. Contrera, E. J. Matthews, N. L. Kruhlak, and R. D. Benz, “Assessment of the health effects of chemicals in humans: I. QSAR estimation of the maximum recommended therapeutic dose (MRTD) and no effect level (NOEL) of organic chemicals based on clinical trial data,” Current Drug Discovery Technologies, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 61–76, 2004.
- J. Röling, H. Schmid, M. Fischereder, R. Draenert, and F. D. Goebel, “HIV-associated renal diseases and highly active antiretroviral therapy-induced nephropathy,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 42, no. 10, pp. 1488–1495, 2006.
- Y. Sun, Y. Peng, Y. Chen, and A. J. Shukla, “Application of artificial neural networks in the design of controlled release drug delivery systems,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 55, no. 9, pp. 1201–1215, 2003.
- E. J. Matthews, N. L. Kruhlak, R. D. Benz, and J. F. Contrera, “Assessment of the health effects of chemicals in humans: I. QSAR estimation of the maximum recommended therapeutic dose (MRTD) and no effect level (NOEL) of organic chemicals based on clinical trial data,” Current Drug Discovery Technologies, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 61–76, 2004.
- J. F. Blake, “Chemoinformatics—predicting the physicochemical properties of "drug-like" molecules,” Current Opinion in Biotechnology, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 104–107, 2000.
- D. Butina, M. D. Segall, and K. Frankcombe, “Predicting ADME properties in silico: methods and models,” Drug Discovery Today, vol. 7, no. 11, pp. S83–S88, 2002.
- S. Agatonovic-Kustrin and R. Beresford, “Basic concepts of artificial neural network (ANN) modeling and its application in pharmaceutical research,” Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 717–727, 2000.
- I. Solomon, N. Maharshak, G. Chechik et al., “Applying an artificial neural network to warfarin maintenance dose prediction,” Israel Medical Association Journal, vol. 6, no. 12, pp. 732–735, 2004.
- B. W. Corrigan, P. R. Mayo, and F. Jamali, “Application of a neural network for gentamicin concentration prediction in a general hospital population,” Therapeutic Drug Monitoring, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 25–28, 1997.
- C. W. Lim, S. Fujiwara, F. Yamashita, and M. Hashida, “Prediction of human skin permeability using a combination of molecular orbital calculations and artificial neural network,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 361–366, 2002.
- S. Drăghici and R. B. Potter, “Predicting HIV drug resistance with neural networks,” Bioinformatics, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 98–107, 2003.
- I. V. Tetko, “The WWW as a tool to obtain molecular parameters,” Mini Reviews in Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 3, no. 8, pp. 809–820, 2003.
- I. V. Tetko, V. Y. Tanchuk, and A. E. P. Villa, “Prediction of n-octanol/water partition coefficients from PHYSPROP database using artificial neural networks and E-state indices,” Journal of Chemical Information and Computer Sciences, vol. 41, no. 3–6, pp. 1407–1421, 2001.
- A. Arnot, W. Meylan, J. Tunkel et al., “A quantitative structure-activity relationship for predicting metabolic biotransformation rates for organic chemicals in fish,” Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 1168–1177, 2009.
- A. Arnot and F. A. P. C. Gobas, “A review of bioconcentration factor (BCF) and bioaccumulation factor (BAF) assessments for organic chemicals in fish,” Environmental Reviews, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 257–297, 2006.
- C. Cobelli, E. R. Carson, L. Finkelstein, and M. S. Leaning, “Validation of simple and complex models in physiology and medicine,” The American Journal of Physiology, vol. 246, no. 2, pp. R259–266, 1984.
- R. Mannhold, G. I. Poda, C. Ostermann, and I. V. Tetko, “Calculation of molecular lipophilicity: state-of-the-art and comparison of logP methods on more than 96,000 compounds,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 98, no. 3, pp. 861–893, 2009.
- M. Yazdanian, S. L. Glynn, J. L. Wright, and A. Hawi, “Correlating partitioning and Caco-2 cell permeability of structurally diverse small molecular weight compounds,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 15, no. 9, pp. 1490–1494, 1998.
- R. G. Jain, E. S. Furfine, L. Pedneault, A. J. White, and J. M. Lenhard, “Metabolic complications associated with antiretroviral therapy,” Antiviral Research, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 151–177, 2001.
- S. K. Gan, K. Samaras, A. Carr, and D. Chisholm, “Anti-retroviral therapy, insulin resistance and lipodystrophy,” Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 67–71, 2001.
- M. J. Glesby, “Toxicities and adverse findings associated with protease inhibitors,” in Protease Inhibitors in AIDS Therapy, R. C. Ogden and C. W. Flexner, Eds., pp. 237–256, Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York, NY, USA, 2001.
- P. A. Pham and C. Flexner, “Emerging antiretroviral drug interactions,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 66, no. 2, pp. 235–239, 2011.
- D. Wang, B. Larder, A. Revell et al., “A comparison of three computational modelling methods for the prediction of virological response to combination HIV therapy,” Artificial Intelligence in Medicine, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 63–74, 2009.
- O. Krakovska and L. M. Wahl, “Optimal drug treatment regimens for HIV depend on adherence,” Journal of Theoretical Biology, vol. 246, no. 3, pp. 499–509, 2007.
- S. Hongzong, Y. Shuping, Z. Kejun, F. Aiping, D. Yun-Bo, and H. Zhide, “Quantitative structure activity relationship study on EC50 of anti-HIV drugs,” Chemometrics and Intelligent Laboratory Systems, vol. 90, no. 1, pp. 15–24, 2008.
- B. Testa, P. Crivori, M. Reist, and P. A. Carrupt, “The influence of lipophilicity on the pharmacokinetic behavior of drugs: concepts and examples,” Perspectives in Drug Discovery and Design, vol. 19, pp. 179–211, 2000.
- J. W. Nichols, M. Bonnell, S. D. Dimitrov, B. I. Escher, X. Han, and N. I. Kramer, “Bioaccumulation assessment using predictive approaches,” Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 577–597, 2009.
- C. A. Lipinski, F. Lombardo, B. W. Dominy, and P. J. Feeney, “Experimental and computational approaches to estimate solubility and permeability in drug discovery and development settings,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 23, no. 1–3, pp. 3–25, 1997.
- W. B. Neely, D. R. Branson, and G. E. Blau, “Partition coefficient to measure bioconcentration potential of organic chemicals in fish,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 8, no. 13, pp. 1113–1115, 1974.
- S. Dimitrov, T. Pavlov, D. Nedelcheva et al., “A kinetic model for predicting biodegradation,” SAR and QSAR in Environmental Research, vol. 18, no. 5-6, pp. 443–457, 2007.
- S. D. Dimitrov, N. C. Dimitrova, J. D. Walker, G. D. Veith, and O. G. Mekenyan, “Predicting BCFs of highly hydrophobic chemicals: effects of molecular size,” Pure and Applied Chemistry, vol. 74, no. 10, pp. 1823–1830, 2002.
- P. Howard, W. Meylan, D. Aronson et al., “A new biodegradation prediction model specific to petroleum hydrocarbons,” Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, vol. 24, no. 8, pp. 1847–1860, 2005.