- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 850754, 13 pages
A Mathematical Model of Immune-System-Melanoma Competition
Department of Mathematics & Computer Science, University of Catania, V.le A Doria 6, 95125 Catania, Italy
Received 9 March 2012; Accepted 2 April 2012
Academic Editor: Francesco Pappalardo
Copyright © 2012 Marzio Pennisi. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. A. Morgan, M. E. Dudley, J. R. Wunderlich et al., “Cancer regression in patients after transfer of genetically engineered lymphocytes,” Science, vol. 314, no. 5796, pp. 126–129, 2006.
- S. A. Rosenberg, N. P. Restifo, J. C. Yang, R. A. Morgan, and M. E. Dudley, “Adoptive cell transfer: a clinical path to effective cancer immunotherapy,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 299–308, 2008.
- I. Melero, I. Martinez-Forero, J. Dubrot, N. Suarez, A. Palazón, and L. Chen, “Palettes of vaccines and immunostimulatory monoclonal antibodies for combination,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 1507–1509, 2009.
- J. L. Perez-Gracia, P. Berraondo, I. Martinez-Forero et al., “Clinical development of combination strategies in immunotherapy: are we ready for more than one investigational product in an early clinical trial?” Immunotherapy, vol. 1, no. 5, pp. 845–853, 2009.
- I. Tirapui, A. Arina, G. Mazzolinii et al., “Improving efficacy of interleukin-12-transfected dendritic cells injected into murine colon cancer with anti-CD137 monoclonal antibodies and alloantigens,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 110, no. 1, pp. 51–60, 2004.
- I. Tirapu, E. Huarte, C. Guiducci et al., “Low surface expression of B7-1 (CD80) is an immunoescape mechanism of colon carcinoma,” Cancer Research, vol. 66, no. 4, pp. 2442–2450, 2006.
- A. Palazón, A. Teijeira, I. Martínez-Forero et al., “Agonist anti-CD137 mAb act on tumor endothelial cells to enhance recruitment of activated T lymphocytes,” Cancer Research, vol. 71, no. 3, pp. 801–811, 2011.
- I. Melero, O. Murillo, J. Dubrot, S. Hervás-Stubbs, and J. L. Perez-Gracia, “Multi-layered action mechanisms of CD137 (4-1BB)-targeted immunotherapies,” Trends in Pharmacological Sciences, vol. 29, no. 8, pp. 383–390, 2008.
- J. Dubrot, F. Milheiro, C. Alfaro et al., “Treatment with anti-CD137 mAbs causes intense accumulations of liver T cells without selective antitumor immunotherapeutic effects in this organ,” Cancer Immunology, Immunotherapy, vol. 59, no. 8, pp. 1223–1233, 2010.
- I. Melero, S. Hervas-Stubbs, M. Glennie, D. M. Pardoll, and L. Chen, “Immunostimulatory monoclonal antibodies for cancer therapy,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 95–106, 2007.
- F. Ito, Q. Li, A. B. Shreiner et al., “Anti-CD137 monoclonal antibody administration augments the antitumor efficacy of dendritic cell-based vaccines,” Cancer Research, vol. 64, no. 22, pp. 8411–8419, 2004.
- K. F. May Jr., L. Chen, P. Zheng, and Y. Liu, “Anti-4-1BB monoclonal antibody enhances rejection of large tumor burden by promoting survival but not clonal expansion of tumor-specific CD8+ T cells,” Cancer Research, vol. 62, no. 12, pp. 3459–3465, 2002.
- F. Pappalardo, I. M. Forero, M. Pennisi, A. Palazon, I. Melero, and S. Motta, “SimB16: modeling induced immune system response against B16-melanoma,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 10, Article ID e26523.
- A. K. Laird, “Dynamics of tumor growth,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 13, pp. 490–502, 1964.
- J. M. Mitchison, The Biology of the Cell Cycle, Cambridge University Press, 1971.
- W. H. Clark, A. M. Ainsworth, E. A. Bernardino, C. H. Yang, C. M. Mihm, and R. J. Reed, “The developmental biology of primary human malignant melanomas,” Seminars in Oncology, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 83–103, 1975.
- M. Pennisi, F. Pappalardo, and S. Motta, “Agent based modeling of lung metastasis-immune system competition,” Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 5666, pp. 1–3, 2009.
- M. Pennisi, F. Pappalardo, A. Palladini et al., “Modeling the competition between lung metastases and the immune system using agents,” BMC Bioinformatics, vol. 11, supplement 7, article S13, 2010.
- Y. Lotan and C. G. Roehrborn, “Clearance rates of total prostate specific antigen (PSA) after radical prostatectomy in African-Americans and Caucasians,” Prostate Cancer and Prostatic Diseases, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 111–114, 2002.
- D. Pardoll, “T cells take aim at cancer,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 99, no. 25, pp. 15840–15842, 2002.
- J. V. Peppard and E. Orlans, “The biological half-lives of four rat immunoglobulin isotypes,” Immunology, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 683–686, 1980.
- H. Narazaki, Y. Zhu, L. Luo, G. Zhu, and L. Chen, “CD137 agonist antibody prevents cancer recurrence: contribution of CD137 on both hematopoietic and nonhematopoietic cells,” Blood, vol. 115, no. 10, pp. 1941–1948, 2010.
- S. Marino, I. B. Hogue, C. J. Ray, and D. E. Kirschner, “A methodology for performing global uncertainty and sensitivity analysis in systems biology,” Journal of Theoretical Biology, vol. 254, no. 1, pp. 178–196, 2008.