- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 898430, 12 pages
Hemorrhage Detection and Segmentation in Traumatic Pelvic Injuries
1Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23284, USA
2Department of Computer Science, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23284, USA
3Department of Radiology, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
4Department of Emergency Medicine, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
5Virginia Commonwealth University Reanimation and Engineering Science Center (VCURES), Richmond, VA 23298, USA
Received 30 April 2012; Accepted 14 June 2012
Academic Editor: Guilherme de Alencar Barreto
Copyright © 2012 Pavani Davuluri et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. Eckroth-Bernard and J. W. Davis, “Management of pelvic fractures,” Current Opinion in Critical Care, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 582–586, 2010.
- J. A. Requarth and P. R. Miller, “Aberrant obturator artery is a common arterial variant that may be a source of unidentified hemorrhage in pelvic fracture patients,” Journal of Trauma, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 366–372, 2011.
- J. Uyeda, S. W. Anderson, J. Kertesz, and J. A. Soto, “Pelvic CT angiography: application to blunt trauma using 64MDCT,” Emergency Radiology, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 131–137, 2010.
- W. Yoon, J. K. Kim, Y. Y. Jeong, J. J. Seo, J. G. Park, and H. K. Kang, “Pelvic arterial hemorrhage in patients with pelvic fractures: detection with contrast-enhanced CT,” Radiographics, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 1591–1605, 2004.
- H. C. Jeske, R. Larndorfer, D. Krappinger et al., “Management of hemorrhage in severe pelvic injuries,” Journal of Trauma, vol. 68, no. 2, pp. 415–420, 2010.
- A. Furlan, S. Fakhran, and M. P. Federle, “Spontaneous abdominal hemorrhage: causes, CT findings, and clinical implications,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 193, no. 4, pp. 1077–1087, 2009.
- S. Vasilache, Image segmentation and analysis for automated classification of traumatic pelvic injuries [Ph.D. thesis], 2010.
- N. Pérez, J. Valdés, M. Guevara, and A. Silva, Advances in Computational Vision and Medical Image Processing, Springer, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 2009.
- Z. Ma, J. M. R. S. Tavares, R. N. Jorge, and T. Mascarenhas, “A review of algorithms for medical image segmentation and their applications to the female pelvic cavity,” Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 235–246, 2010.
- N. Otsu, “A threshold selection method from gray-level histograms,” IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 62–66, 1979.
- T. Heimann, B. Van Ginneken, M. A. Styner et al., “Comparison and evaluation of methods for liver segmentation from CT datasets,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 28, no. 8, Article ID 4781564, pp. 1251–1265, 2009.
- R. B. Dubey, M. Hanmandlu, S. K. Gupta, and S. K. Gupta, “Region growing for MRI brain tumor volume analysis,” Indian Journal of Science and Technology, vol. 2, no. 9, pp. 26–31, 2009.
- Z. Peter, V. Bousson, C. Bergot, and F. Peyrin, “A constrained region growing approach based on watershed for the segmentation of low contrast structures in bone micro-CT images,” Pattern Recognition, vol. 41, no. 7, pp. 2358–2368, 2008.
- N. A. M. Isa, S. A. Salamah, and U. K. Ngah, “Adaptive fuzzy moving K-means clustering algorithm for image segmentation,” IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 2145–2153, 2009.
- Z. Dokur, “A unified framework for image compression and segmentation by using an incremental neural network,” Expert Systems with Applications, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 611–619, 2008.
- G. Ertaş, H. Ö. Gülçür, O. Osman, O. N. Uçan, M. Tunaci, and M. Dursun, “Breast MR segmentation and lesion detection with cellular neural networks and 3D template matching,” Computers in Biology and Medicine, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 116–126, 2008.
- L. He, Z. Peng, B. Everding et al., “A comparative study of deformable contour methods on medical image segmentation,” Image and Vision Computing, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 141–163, 2008.
- J. V. Stough, R. E. Broadhurst, S. M. Pizer, and E. L. Chaney, “Clustering on local appearance for deformable model segmentation,” in Proceedings of the 4th IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging: From Nano to Macro (ISBI '07), pp. 960–963, April 2007.
- G. Chung and L. A. Vese, “Image segmentation using a multilayer level-set approach,” Computing and Visualization in Science, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 267–285, 2009.
- C. Li, R. Huang, Z. Ding, J. C. Gatenby, D. N. Metaxas, and J. C. Gore, “A level set method for image segmentation in the presence of intensity inhomogeneities with application to MRI,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 2007–2016, 2011.
- Z. Li, E. A. Hoffman, and J. M. Reinhardt, “Atlas-driven lung lobe segmentation in volumetric X-ray CT images,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 1–16, 2006.
- I. Išgum, M. Staring, A. Rutten, M. Prokop, M. A. Viergever, and B. Van Ginneken, “Multi-atlas-based segmentation with local decision fusion-application to cardiac and aortic segmentation in CT scans,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 1000–1010, 2009.
- R. Shojaii, J. Alirezaie, and P. Babyn, “Automatic lung segmentation in CT images using watershed transform,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP '05), pp. 1270–1273, September 2005.
- M. Frucci and G. Sanniti di Baja, “Oversegmentation reduction in watershed-based grey-level image segmentation,” International Journal of Signal and Imaging Systems Engineering, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 4–10, 2008.
- X. Xie, C. Ma, X. Yu, and R. Du, “Liver image segmentation using improved watershed method,” Applied Mechanics and Materials, vol. 58–60, pp. 1311–1316, 2011.
- P. Davuluri, J. Wu, K. R. Ward, C. H. Cockrell, K. Najarian, and R. S. Hobson, “An automated method for hemorrhage detection in traumatic pelvic injuries,” in Proceedings of the 33rd Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBS '11), pp. 5108–5111, Boston, Mass, USA, 2011.
- S. Vasilache, K. Ward, C. Cockrell, J. Ha, and K. Najarian, “Unified wavelet and gaussian filtering for segmentation of CT images; Application in segmentation of bone in pelvic CT images,” BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making, vol. 9, supplement 1, article S8, 2009.
- S. Vasilache, W. Chen, K. Ward, and K. Najarian, “Hierarchical object recognition in pelvic CT images,” in Proceedings of the 31st Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC '09), pp. 3533–3536, September 2009.
- J. Wu, P. Davuluri, A. Belle et al., “Fracture detection and quantitative measure of displacement in pelvic CT images,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference onBioinformatics and Biomedicine Workshops (BIBMW '11), pp. 600–606, Atlanta, Ga, USA, 2011.
- P. Davuluri, J. Wu, A. Belle et al., “A hybrid approach for hemorrhage segmentation in pelvic CT scans,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference onBioinformatics and Biomedicine Workshops (BIBMW '11), pp. 548–554, Atlanta, Ga, USA, 2011.
- W. Chen, C. Cockrell, K. R. Ward, and K. Najarian, “Intracranial pressure level prediction in traumatic brain injury by extracting features from multiple sources and using machine learning methods,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Bioinformatics and Biomedicine (BIBM '10), pp. 510–515, Hong Kong, Hong Kong, December 2010.
- J. Wu, P. Davuluri, K. R. Ward, C. Cockrell, R. Hobson, and K. Najarian, “Fracture detection in traumatic pelvic CT images,” International Journal of Biomedical Imaging, vol. 2012, Article ID 327198, 10 pages, 2012.
- J. Wu, P. Davuluri, K. Ward, C. Cockrell, R. Hobson, and K. Najarian, “A new hierarchical method for multi-level segmentation of bone in pelvic CT scans,” in Proceedings of the 33rd Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBS '11), pp. 3399–3402, Boston, Mass, USA, 2011.
- J. P. W. Pluim, J. B. A. Maintz, and M. A. Viergever, “Mutual-information-based registration of medical images: a survey,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 22, no. 8, pp. 986–1004, 2003.
- T. Huang, V. Kecman, and I. Kopriva, Kernel Based Algorithms for Mining Huge Data Sets: Supervised, Semi-Supervised, and unSupervised Learning (Studies in Computational Intelligence), Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2006.