- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 947191, 8 pages
Two-Dimensional Matrix Algorithm Using Detrended Fluctuation Analysis to Distinguish Burkitt and Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma
1Department of Mechanical Engineering, Yuan Ze University, 135 Yuan-Tung Road, Chungli 32003, Taiwan
2Department of Pathology, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei 100, Taiwan
3School of Engineering and Design, Brunel University, London UB8 3PH, UK
4Center for Dynamical Biomarkers and Translational Medicine, National Central University, Chungli 32001, Taiwan
Received 19 September 2012; Accepted 19 November 2012
Academic Editor: Wenxiang Cong
Copyright © 2012 Rong-Guan Yeh et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. Mandelbrot, “The variation of certain speculative prices,” The Journal of Business, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 394–419, 1963.
- R. Lopes and N. Betrouni, “Fractal and multifractal analysis: a review,” Medical Image Analysis, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 634–649, 2009.
- W. Klonowski, “Signal and image analysis using chaos theory and fractal geometry,” Machine Graphics and Vision Journal, vol. 9, pp. 403–432, 2000.
- O. Zmeškal, M. Veselý, M. Nežádal, and M. Buchníček, “Fractal Analysis of Image Structures,” Harmonic and Fractal Image Analysis, pp. 3–5, 2001.
- C. K. Peng, S. V. Buldyrev, S. Havlin, M. Simons, H. E. Stanley, and A. L. Goldberger, “Mosaic organization of DNA nucleotides,” Physical Review E, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 1685–1689, 1994.
- C. K. Peng, S. Havlin, H. E. Stanley, and A. L. Goldberger, “Quantification of scaling exponents and crossover phenomena in nonstationary heartbeat time series,” Chaos, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 82–87, 1995.
- R. G. Yeh, J. S. Shieh, G. Y. Chen, and C. D. Kuo, “Detrended fluctuation analysis of short-term heart rate variability in late pregnant women,” Autonomic Neuroscience, vol. 150, no. 1-2, pp. 122–126, 2009.
- H. E. Stanley, L. A. N. Amaral, A. L. Goldberger, S. Havlin, P. C. Ivanov, and C. K. Peng, “Statistical physics and physiology: monofractal and multifractal approaches,” Physica A, vol. 270, no. 1, pp. 309–324, 1999.
- R. G. Yeh, G. Y. Chen, J. S. Shieh, and C. D. Kuo, “Parameter investigation of detrended fluctuation analysis for short-term human heart rate variability,” Journal of Medical and Biological Engineering, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 277–282, 2010.
- T. Nakamura, H. Horio, S. Miyashita, Y. Chiba, and S. Sato, “Identification of development and autonomic nerve activity from heart rate variability in preterm infants,” BioSystems, vol. 79, no. 1–3, pp. 117–124, 2005.
- N. G. Mahon, A. E. Hedman, M. Padula et al., “Fractal correlation properties of R-R interval dynamics in asymptomatic relatives of patients with dilated cardiomyopathy,” European Journal of Heart Failure, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 151–158, 2002.
- T. H. Mäkikallio, J. Koistinen, L. Jordaens et al., “Heart rate dynamics before spontaneous onset of ventricular fibrillation in patients with healed myocardial infarcts,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 83, no. 6, pp. 880–884, 1999.
- C. K. Peng, S. V. Buldyrev, A. L. Goldberger et al., “Long-range correlations in nucleotide sequences,” Nature, vol. 356, no. 6365, pp. 168–170, 1992.
- S. Bahar, J. W. Kantelhardt, A. Neiman et al., “Long-range temporal anti-correlations in paddlefish electroreceptors,” Europhysics Letters, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 454–460, 2001.
- S. Blesić, S. Milošević, D. Stratimirović, and M. Ljubisavljević, “Detrended fluctuation analysis of time series of a firing fusimotor neuron,” Physica A, vol. 268, no. 3-4, pp. 275–282, 1999.
- J. M. Hausdorff, S. L. Mitchell, R. Firtion et al., “Altered fractal dynamics of gait: reduced stride-interval correlations with aging and Huntington's disease,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 82, no. 1, pp. 262–269, 1997.
- J. M. Lee, D. J. Kim, I. Y. Kim, K. S. Park, and S. I. Kim, “Detrended fluctuation analysis of EEG in sleep apnea using MIT/BIH polysomnography data,” Computers in Biology and Medicine, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 37–47, 2002.
- J. M. Lee, D. J. Kim, I. Y. Kim, K. Suk Park, and S. I. Kim, “Nonlinear-analysis of human sleep EEG using detrended fluctuation analysis,” Medical Engineering and Physics, vol. 26, no. 9, pp. 773–776, 2004.
- M. Staudacher, S. Telser, A. Amann, H. Hinterhuber, and M. Ritsch-Marte, “A new method for change-point detection developed for on-line analysis of the heart beat variability during sleep,” Physica A, vol. 349, no. 3-4, pp. 582–596, 2005.
- C. J. Stam, T. Montez, B. F. Jones et al., “Disturbed fluctuations of resting state EEG synchronization in Alzheimer's disease,” Clinical Neurophysiology, vol. 116, no. 3, pp. 708–715, 2005.
- P. Grau-Carles, “Long-range power-law correlations in stock returns,” Physica A, vol. 299, no. 3-4, pp. 521–527, 2001.
- R. Nagarajan and R. G. Kavasseri, “Minimizing the effect of periodic and quasi-periodic trends in detrended fluctuation analysis,” Chaos, Solitons and Fractals, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 777–784, 2005.
- R. Weron, “Estimating long-range dependence: finite sample properties and confidence intervals,” Physica A, vol. 312, no. 1-2, pp. 285–299, 2002.
- R. G. Yeh, J. S. Shieh, Y. Y. Han, Y. J. Wang, and S. C. Tseng, “Detrended fluctuation analyses of short-term heart rate variability in surgical intensive care units,” Biomedical Engineering, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 67–72, 2006.
- R. G. Yeh, Y. Y. Han, J. S. Shieh, Y. J. Wang, S. C. Tseng, and Y. C. Fu, “Nonrandomness index applied for heart rate variability in surgical intensive care units using frequency and rank order statistics,” Biomedical Engineering, vol. 19, pp. 303–311, 2007.
- G. F. Gu and W. X. Zhou, “Detrended fluctuation analysis for fractals and multifractals in higher dimensions,” Physical Review E, vol. 74, no. 6, Article ID 061104, 2006.
- W. X. Zhou, “Multifractal detrended cross-correlation analysis for two nonstationary signals,” Physical Review E, vol. 77, no. 6, Article ID 066211, 2008.
- K. Dong and P. Shang, “Statistical properties of detrended cross-correlation analysis,” Journal of Beijing Jiaotong University, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 64–67, 2010.
- B. Podobnik and H. E. Stanley, “Detrended cross-correlation analysis: a new method for analyzing two nonstationary time series,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 100, no. 8, Article ID 084102, 2008.
- Z. Q. Jiang and W. X. Zhou, “Multifractal detrending moving-average cross-correlation analysis,” Physical Review E, vol. 84, no. 1, Article ID 016106, 2011.
- T. Ando, M. Suguro, T. Hanai, T. Kobayashi, H. Honda, and M. Seto, “Fuzzy neural network applied to gene expression profiling for predicting the prognosis of diffuse large B-cell Lymphoma,” Japanese Journal of Cancer Research, vol. 93, no. 11, pp. 1207–1212, 2002.
- G. Wright, B. Tan, A. Rosenwald, E. H. Hurt, A. Wiestner, and L. M. Staudt, “A gene expression-based method to diagnose clinically distinct subgroups of diffuse large B cell lymphoma,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 100, no. 17, pp. 9991–9996, 2003.
- C. P. Hans, D. D. Weisenburger, T. C. Greiner et al., “Confirmation of the molecular classification of diffuse large B-cell lymphoma by immunohistochemistry using a tissue microarray,” Blood, vol. 103, no. 1, pp. 275–282, 2004.
- C. Bellan, L. Stefano, D. F. Giulia, E. A. Rogena, and L. Lorenzo, “Burkitt lymphoma versus diffuse large B-cell lymphoma: a practical approach,” Hematological Oncology, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 53–56, 2010.
- N. Nakamura, H. Nakamine, J. I. Tamaru et al., “The distinction between Burkitt lymphoma and diffuse large B-cell lymphoma with c-myc rearrangement,” Modern Pathology, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 771–776, 2002.
- X. F. Zhao, A. Hassan, A. Perry, Y. Ning, S. A. Stass, and L. P. Dehner, “C-MYC rearrangements are frequent in aggressive mature B-cell lymphoma with atypical morphology,” International Journal of Clinical and Experimental Pathology, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 65–74, 2008.
- X. Cui, C. W. Lin, M. F. Abbod, Q. Liu, and J. S. Shieh, “Diffuse large B-cell lymphoma classification using linguistic analysis and ensembled artificial neural networks,” Journal of the Taiwan Institute of Chemical Engineers, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 15–23, 2012.
- A. L. Goldberger, L. A. N. Amaral, J. M. Hausdorff, P. C. Ivanov, C. K. Peng, and H. E. Stanley, “Fractal dynamics in physiology: alterations with disease and aging,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 99, no. 1, pp. 2466–2472, 2002.
- T. H. Mäkikallio, T. Seppänen, K. E. J. Airaksinen et al., “Dynamic analysis of heart rate may predict subsequent ventricular tachycardia after myocardial infarction,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 80, no. 6, pp. 779–783, 1997.
- T. H. Mäkikallio, T. Ristimäe, K. E. J. Airaksinen, C. K. Peng, A. L. Goldberger, and H. V. Huikuri, “Heart rate dynamics in patients with stable angina pectoris and utility of fractal and complexity measures,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 81, no. 1, pp. 27–31, 1998.
- A. Carbone, “Algorithm to estimate the Hurst exponent of high-dimensional fractals,” Physical Review E, vol. 76, no. 5, Article ID 056703, 2007.
- G. F. Gu and W. X. Zhou, “Detrending moving average algorithm for multifractals,” Physical Review E, vol. 82, no. 1, Article ID 011136, 2010.