- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 240182, 6 pages
An Intelligent System Approach for Asthma Prediction in Symptomatic Preschool Children
1Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Democritus University of Thrace, 67100 Xanthi, Greece
2Department of Pediatrics, Democritus University of Thrace, 68100 Alexandroupolis, Greece
Received 26 October 2012; Accepted 21 February 2013
Academic Editor: Angel García-Crespo
Copyright © 2013 E. Chatzimichail et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. Eder, M. J. Ege, and E. von Mutius, “The asthma epidemic,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 355, no. 21, pp. 2226–2235, 2006.
- M. B. Bracken, K. Belanger, W. O. Cookson, E. Triche, D. C. Christiani, and B. P. Leaderer, “Genetic and perinatal risk factors for asthma onset and severity: a review and theoretical analysis,” Epidemiologic Reviews, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 176–189, 2002.
- N. E. Lange, S. L. Rifas-Shiman, C. A. Camargo, D. R. Gold, M. W. Gillman, and A. A. Litonjua, “Maternal dietary pattern during pregnancy is not associated with recurrent wheeze in children,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 126, no. 2, pp. 250–255, 2010.
- C. Porsbjerg, M. L. von Linstow, C. S. Ulrik, S. Nepper-Christensen, and V. Backer, “Risk factors for onset of asthma: a 12-year prospective follow-up study,” Chest, vol. 129, no. 2, pp. 309–316, 2006.
- C. Tolomeo, C. Savrin, M. Heinzer, and A. Bazzy-Asaad, “Predictors of asthma-related pediatric emergency department visits and hospitalizations,” The Journal of Asthma, vol. 46, no. 8, pp. 829–834, 2009.
- H. S. Zahran, C. J. Person, C. Bailey, and J. E. Moorman, “Predictors of asthma self-management education among children and adults—2006-2007 behavioral risk factor surveillance system asthma call-back survey,” The Journal of Asthma, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 98–106, 2012.
- N. N. Hansel, E. C. Matsui, R. Rusher et al., “Predicting future asthma morbidity in preschool inner-city children,” The Journal of Asthma, vol. 48, no. 8, pp. 797–803, 2011.
- G. Nagel, G. Weinmayr, A. Kleiner et al., “Effect of diet on asthma and allergic sensitisation in the International Study on Allergies and Asthma in Childhood (ISAAC) Phase Two,” Thorax, vol. 65, no. 6, pp. 516–522, 2010.
- F. D. Martinez, A. L. Wright, L. M. Taussig, C. J. Holberg, M. Halonen, and W. J. Morgan, “Asthma and wheezing in the first six years of life,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 332, no. 3, pp. 133–138, 1995.
- B. G. Toelle, W. Xuan, J. K. Peat, and G. B. Marks, “Childhood factors that predict asthma in young adulthood,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 66–70, 2004.
- W. Balemans, C. van der Ent, A. Schilder, E. Sanders, G. Zielhuis, and M. Rovers, “Prediction of asthma in young adults using childhood characteristics: development of a prediction rule,” Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, vol. 59, no. 11, pp. 1207–1212, 2006.
- F. Bacopoulou, A. Veltsista, I. Vassi et al., “Can we be optimistic about asthma in childhood? A Greek cohort study,” The Journal of Asthma, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 171–174, 2009.
- K. Porpodis, D. Papakosta, K. Manika et al., “Long-term prognosis of asthma is good—a 12-year follow-up study. Influence of treatment,” The Journal of Asthma, vol. 46, no. 6, pp. 625–631, 2009.
- J. A. Castro-Rodriguez, “The asthma predictive index: a very useful tool for predicting asthma in young children,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 126, no. 2, pp. 212–216, 2010.
- J. A. Castro-Rodriguez, S. L. Cifuentes, and C. E. Rodríguez-Martínez, “The asthma predictive index remains a useful tool to predict asthma in young children with recurrent wheeze in clinical practice,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 127, no. 4, pp. 1082–1083, 2011.
- D. G. Panazzolo, F. L. Sicuro, R. Clapauch, P. A. Maranhão, E. Bouskela, and L. G. Kraemer-Aguiar, “Obesity, metabolic syndrome, impaired fasting glucose, and microvascular dysfunction: a principal component analysis approach,” BMC Cardiovascular Disorders, vol. 12, article 102, 2012.
- A. Helmy, C. A. Antoniades, M. R. Guilfoyle, K. L. Carpenter, and P. J. Hutchinson, “Principal component analysis of the cytokine and chemokine response to human traumatic brain injury,” PLoS One, vol. 7, Article ID e39677, 2012.
- I. Milovanović and D. B. Popović, “Principal component analysis of gait kinematics data in acute and chronic stroke patients,” Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 649743, 8 pages, 2012.
- E. Avci, “A new expert system for diagnosis of lung cancer: GDA-LS_SVM,” Journal of Medical Systems, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 2005–2009, 2012.
- D. Çalişir and E. Dogantekin, “A new intelligent hepatitis diagnosis system: PCA-LSSVM,” Expert Systems with Applications, vol. 38, no. 8, pp. 10705–10708, 2011.
- L. Eriksson, E. Johansson, N. Kettaneh-Wold, and S. Wold, Multi- and Megavariate Data Analysis: Principles and Applications, Umetrics AB, 2001.
- H. Jiang and W. Ching, “Correlation Kernels for support vector machines classification with applications in cancer data,” Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 205025, 7 pages, 2012.
- J. R. G. Lansangan and E. B. Barrios, “Principal components analysis of nonstationary time series data,” Statistics and Computing, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 173–187, 2009.
- H. Hotelling, “Analysis of a complex of statistical variables into principal components,” Journal of Educational Psychology, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 417–441, 1933.
- A. Widodo and B. S. Yang, “Application of nonlinear feature extraction and support vector machines for fault diagnosis of induction motors,” Expert Systems with Applications, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 241–250, 2007.
- V. Vapnik, “The support vector method,” in Proceeding of the 7th International Conference on Artificial Neural Networks (ICANN '97), pp. 263–271, 1997.
- G. Kimeldorf and G. Wahba, “Some results on Tchebycheffian spline functions,” Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 82–95, 1971.
- M. Slawski, “The structured elastic net for quantile regression and support vector classification,” Statistics and Computing, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 153–168, 2012.
- M. Sabzekar, H. S. Yazdi, and M. Naghibzadeh, “Relaxed constraints support vector machine,” Expert Systems, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 506–525, 2012.
- E. A. Chatzimichail, A. G. Rigas, and E. N. Paraskakis, “An artificial intelligence technique for the prediction of persistent asthma in children,” in Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Information Technology and Applications in Biomedicine (ITAB '10), pp. 1–4, November 2010.
- E. Chatzimichail, A. Rigas, E. Paraskakis, and A. Chatzimichail, “Diagnosis of asthma severity using artificial neural networks,” in Proceedings of the 12th Mediterranean Conference on Medical and Biological Engineering and Computing (MEDICON '10), vol. 29, pp. 600–603, May 2010.
- D. Caudri, A. Wijga, C. M. Chipper et al., “Predicting the long-term prognosis of children with symptoms suggestive of asthma at preschool age,” The Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 124, no. 5, pp. 903–910, 2009.
- J. B. Clough, K. A. Keeping, L. C. Edwards, W. M. Freeman, J. A. Warner, and J. O. Warner, “Can we predict which wheezy infants will continue to wheeze?” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 160, no. 5, pp. 1473–1480, 1999.
- J. A. Castro-Rodríguez, C. J. Holberg, A. L. Wright, and F. D. Martinez, “A clinical index to define risk of asthma in young children with recurrent wheezing,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 162, no. 4, pp. 1403–1406, 2000.
- C. S. Devulapalli, K. C. L. Carlsen, G. Håland et al., “Severity of obstructive airways disease by age 2 years predicts asthma at 10 years of age,” Thorax, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 8–13, 2008.