- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 395071, 15 pages
White Blood Cell Segmentation by Circle Detection Using Electromagnetism-Like Optimization
1Departamento de Electrónica, Universidad de Guadalajara, CUCEI, Avenida Revolución 1500, 44430 Guadalajara, JAL, Mexico
2Departamento de Ingeniería del Software e Inteligencia Artificial, Facultad Informática, Universidad Complutense, Avenida Complutense S/N, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Received 21 October 2012; Revised 21 December 2012; Accepted 29 December 2012
Academic Editor: Yoram Louzoun
Copyright © 2013 Erik Cuevas et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Liu and K. C. Tsui, “Toward nature-inspired computing,” Communications of the ACM, vol. 49, no. 10, pp. 59–64, 2006.
- M. Wang and R. Chu, “A novel white blood cell detection method based on boundary support vectors,” in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics (SMC '09), pp. 2595–2598, San Antonio, Tex, USA, October 2009.
- J. Wu, P. Zeng, Y. Zhou, and C. Olivier, “A novel color image segmentation method and its application to white blood cell image analysis,” in Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Signal Processing (ICSP '06), November 2006.
- S. Wang, F. L. Korris, and D. Fu, “Applying the improved fuzzy cellular neural network IFCNN to white blood cell detection,” Neurocomputing, vol. 70, no. 7–9, pp. 1348–1359, 2007.
- G. Karkavitsas and M. Rangoussi, “Object localization in medical images using genetic algorithms,” World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, vol. 2, pp. 499–502, 2007.
- H. Muammar and M. Nixon, “Approaches to extending the Hough transform,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP '89), vol. 3, pp. 1556–1559, May 1989.
- T. Atherton and D. Kerbyson, “Using phase to represent radius in the coherent circle Hough transform,” in Proceedings of IEE Colloquium on the Hough Transform, pp. 1–4, May 1993.
- M. A. Fischler and R. C. Bolles, “Random sample consensus: a paradigm for model fitting with applications to image analysis and automated cartography,” Communications of the ACM, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 381–395, 1981.
- D. Shaked, O. Yaron, and N. Kiryati, “Deriving stopping rules for the probabilistic Hough transform by sequential analysis,” Computer Vision and Image Understanding, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 512–526, 1996.
- L. Xu, E. Oja, and P. Kultanen, “A new curve detection method: randomized Hough transform (RHT),” Pattern Recognition Letters, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 331–338, 1990.
- J. H. Han, L. T. Koczy, and T. Poston, “Fuzzy Hough transform,” in Proceedings of the 2nd IEEE International Conference on Fuzzy Systems, vol. 2, pp. 803–808, April 1993.
- J. M. Becker, S. Grousson, and D. Coltuc, “From Hough transform to integral geometry,” in Proceedings of IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS '02), vol. 3, pp. 1444–1446, June 2002.
- V. Ayala-Ramirez, C. H. Garcia-Capulin, A. Perez-Garcia, and R. E. Sanchez-Yanez, “Circle detection on images using genetic algorithms,” Pattern Recognition Letters, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 652–657, 2006.
- E. Cuevas, N. Ortega-Sánchez, D. Zaldivar, and M. Pérez-Cisneros, “Circle detection by harmony search optimization,” Journal of Intelligent & Robotic Systems, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 359–376, 2012.
- E. Cuevas, D. Zaldivar, M. Pérez-Cisneros, and M. Ramírez-Ortegón, “Circle detection using discrete differential evolution optimization,” Pattern Analysis & Applications, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 93–107, 2011.
- E. Cuevas, D. Oliva, D. Zaldivar, M. Pérez-Cisneros, and H. Sossa, “Circle detection using electro-magnetism optimization,” Information Sciences, vol. 182, no. 1, pp. 40–55, 2012.
- G. Karkavitsas and M. Rangoussi, “Object localization in medical images using genetic algorithms,” International Journal of Information and Communication Engineering, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 204–207, 2005.
- S. Birbil and S. C. Fang, “An electromagnetism-like mechanism for global optimization,” Journal of Global Optimization, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 263–282, 2003.
- A. M. A. C. Rocha and E. M. G. P. Fernandes, “Hybridizing the electromagnetism-like algorithm with descent search for solving engineering design problems,” International Journal of Computer Mathematics, vol. 86, no. 10-11, pp. 1932–1946, 2009.
- S. Birbil, S. C. Fang, and R. L. Sheu, “On the convergence of a population-based global optimization algorithm,” Journal of Global Optimization, vol. 30, no. 2-3, pp. 301–318, 2004.
- E. W. Cowan, Basic Electromagnetism, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1968.
- J. Bresenham, “Linear algorithm for incremental digital display of circular arcs,” Communications of the ACM, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 100–106, 1977.
- G. Boccignone, M. Ferraro, and P. Napoletano, “Diffused expectation maximisation for image segmentation,” Electronics Letters, vol. 40, no. 18, pp. 1107–1108, 2004.
- G. Boccignone, P. Napoletano, V. Caggiano, and M. Ferraro, “A multiresolution diffused expectation-maximization algorithm for medical image segmentation,” Computers in Biology and Medicine, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 83–96, 2007.
- R. C. Gonzalez and R. E. Woods, Digital Image Processing, Addison Wesley, Reading, Mass, USA, 1992.
- G. Landi and E. L. Piccolomini, “An efficient method for nonnegatively constrained Total Variation-based denoising of medical images corrupted by Poisson noise,” Computerized Medical Imaging and Graphics, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 38–46, 2012.