- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 472564, 9 pages
CFD Modelling of Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm on Hemodynamic Loads Using a Realistic Geometry with CT
1Centre Internacional de Mètodes Numèrics en Enginyeria, Biomedical Engineering Department, Technical University of Catalonia, C/Gran Capità, s/n, 08034 Barcelona, Spain
2School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, 50 Nanyang Avenue, Singapore 639798
3Department of General Surgery, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, 11 Jalan Tan Tock Seng, Singapore 308433
Received 2 November 2012; Revised 17 May 2013; Accepted 1 June 2013
Academic Editor: Eun Bo Shim
Copyright © 2013 Eduardo Soudah et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. A. Vorp, “Biomechanics of abdominal aortic aneurysm,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 40, no. 9, pp. 1887–1902, 2007.
- J. D. Humphrey, Cardiovascular Solid Mechanics. Cells, Tissues, and Organs, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2002.
- J. T. Powell, L. C. Brown, J. F. Forbes et al., “Final 12-year follow-up of surgery versus surveillance in the UK Small Aneurysm Trial,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 94, no. 6, pp. 702–708, 2007.
- S. C. Nicholls, J. B. Gardner, M. H. Meissner, and K. H. Johansen, “Rupture in small abdominal aortic aneurysms,” Journal of Vascular Surgery, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 884–888, 1998.
- M. L. Raghavan and D. A. Vorp, “Toward a biomechanical tool to evaluate rupture potential of abdominal aortic aneurysm: identification of a finite strain constitutive model and evaluation of its applicability,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 475–482, 2000.
- J. Biasetti, F. Hussain, and T. Christian Gasser, “Blood flow and coherent vortices in the normal and aneurysmatic aortas: a fluid dynamical approach to intraluminal thrombus formation,” Journal of the Royal Society Interface, vol. 8, no. 63, pp. 1449–1461, 2011.
- C. M. Scotti and E. A. Finol, “Compliant biomechanics of abdominal aortic aneurysms: a fluid-structure interaction study,” Computers and Structures, vol. 85, no. 11–14, pp. 1097–1113, 2007.
- D. A. Vorp, M. L. Raghavan, and M. W. Webster, “Mechanical wall stress in abdominal aortic aneurysm: influence of diameter and asymmetry,” Journal of Vascular Surgery, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 632–639, 1998.
- E. A. Finol, K. Keyhani, and C. H. Amon, “The effect of asymmetry in abdominal aortic aneurysms under physiologically realistic pulsatile flow conditions,” Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, vol. 125, no. 2, pp. 207–217, 2003.
- W. A. Cappeller, H. Engelmann, S. Blechschmidt, M. Wild, and L. Lauterjung, “Possible objectification of a critical maximum diameter for elective surgery in abdominal aortic aneurysms based on one- and three-dimensional ratios,” Journal of Cardiovascular Surgery, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 623–628, 1997.
- K. Ouriel, R. M. Green, C. Donayre, C. K. Shortell, J. Elliott, and J. A. DeWeese, “An evaluation of new methods of expressing aortic aneurysm size: relationship to rupture,” Journal of Vascular Surgery, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 12–20, 1992.
- T. C. Gasser, M. Auer, F. Labruto, J. Swedenborg, and J. Roy, “Biomechanical rupture risk assessment of abdominal aortic aneurysms: model complexity versus predictability of finite element simulations,” European Journal of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 176–185, 2010.
- M. Bonert, R. L. Leask, J. Butany et al., “The relationship between wall shear stress distributions and intimal thickening in the human abdominal aorta,” BioMedical Engineering Online, vol. 2, article 18, 2003.
- D. Bluestein, L. Niu, R. T. Schoephoerster, and M. K. Dewanjee, “Steady flow in an aneurysm model: correlation between fluid dynamics and blood platelet deposition,” Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, vol. 118, no. 3, pp. 280–286, 1996.
- M. L. Raghavan, D. A. Vorp, M. P. Federle, M. S. Makaroun, and M. W. Webster, “Wall stress distribution on three-dimensionally reconstructed models of human abdominal aortic aneurysm,” Journal of Vascular Surgery, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 760–769, 2000.
- C. Kleinstreuer and Z. Li, “Analysis and computer program for rupture-risk prediction of abdominal aortic aneurysms,” BioMedical Engineering Online, vol. 5, article 19, 2006.
- J. Shum, G. Martufi, E. di Martino et al., “Quantitative assessment of abdominal aortic aneurysm geometry,” Annals of Biomedical Engineering, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 277–286, 2011.
- D. A. Vorp, P. C. Lee, D. H. J. Wang et al., “Association of intraluminal thrombus in abdominal aortic aneurysm with local hypoxia and wall weakening,” Journal of Vascular Surgery, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 291–299, 2001.
- D. Bluestein, K. Dumont, M. de Beule et al., “Intraluminal thrombus and risk of rupture in patient specific abdominal aortic aneurysm—FSI modelling,” Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 73–81, 2009.
- E. Soudah, J. Pennecot, J. S. Perez, M. Bordone, and E. Oñate, “Medical-GiD: from medical images to simulations, 4D MRI flow analysis,” in Computational Vision and Medical Image Processing: Recent Trends, chapter 10, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 1871.
- E. Soudah, M. Bordone, and J. S. Perez, “Gmed: a platform for images treatment inside GiD system,” in Proceedings of the 5th Conference On Advances And Applications Of GiD, Barcelona, 2010, GiD—the personal pre and postprocessor, http://www.gidhome.com/.
- W. E. Lorensen and H. E. Cline, “Marching cubes: a high resolution 3d surface construction algorithm,” in Proceedings of the 14th Annual Conference on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques (SIGGRAPH '87), pp. 163–169, 1987.
- M. Bordone, C. García, J. García, and E. Soudah, “Biodyn User Manual. TDYN: theoretical Background,” COMPASSIS, 2012, http://www.compassis.com/compass.
- E. Oñate, S. Idelsohn, O. C. Zienkiewicz, and R. L. Taylor, “A finite point method in computational mechanics. Applications to convective transport and fluid flow,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, vol. 39, no. 22, pp. 3839–3866, 1996.
- Y. Papaharilaou, J. A. Ekaterinaris, E. Manousaki, and A. N. Katsamouris, “A decoupled fluid structure approach for estimating wall stress in abdominal aortic aneurysms,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 367–377, 2007.
- A.-V. Salsac, S. R. Sparks, J.-M. Chomaz, and J. C. Lasheras, “Evolution of the wall shear stresses during the progressive enlargement of symmetric abdominal aortic aneurysms,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 560, pp. 19–51, 2006.
- C. M. Scotti, J. Jimenez, S. C. Muluk, and E. A. Finol, “Wall stress and flow dynamics in abdominal aortic aneurysms: finite element analysis vs. fluid-structure interaction,” Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 301–322, 2008.
- A. Borghia, N. B. Wooda, R. H. Mohiaddinb, and X. Y. Xua, “Fluid-solid interaction simulation of flow and stress pattern in thoraco abdominal aneurysms: a patient-specific study,” Journal of Fluids and Structures, vol. 24, pp. 270–280, 2008.
- A. Sheidaei, S. C. Hunley, S. Zeinali-Davarani, L. G. Raguin, and S. Baek, “Simulation of abdominal aortic aneurysm growth with updating hemodynamic loads using a realistic geometry,” Medical Engineering and Physics, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 80–88, 2011.
- T. Hatakeyama, H. Shigematsu, and T. Muto, “Risk factors for rupture of abdominal aortic aneurysm based on three-dimensional study,” Journal of Vascular Surgery, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 453–461, 2001.