- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 513187, 13 pages
Computational Fluid Dynamics Simulations of Contrast Agent Bolus Dispersion in a Coronary Bifurcation: Impact on MRI-Based Quantification of Myocardial Perfusion
Section of Medical Physics, Department of Radiology, University Medical Center of the Johannes Gutenberg University, 55131 Mainz, Germany
Received 14 November 2012; Accepted 5 January 2013
Academic Editor: Eun Bo Shim
Copyright © 2013 Regine Schmidt et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. W. Nesto and G. J. Kowalchuk, “The ischemic cascade: temporal sequence of hemodynamic, electrocardiographic and symptomatic expressions of ischemia,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 59, no. 7, 1987.
- R. R. Edelman and W. Li, “Contrast-enhanced echo-planar MR imaging of myocardial perfusion: preliminary study in humans,” Radiology, vol. 190, no. 3, pp. 771–777, 1994.
- J. Schwitter, D. Nanz, S. Kneifel et al., “Assessment of myocardial perfusion in coronary artery disease by magnetic resonance: a comparison with positron emission tomography and coronary angiography,” Circulation, vol. 103, no. 18, pp. 2230–2235, 2001.
- S. Weber, A. Kronfeld, R. P. Kunz et al., “Comparison of three accelerated pulse sequences for semiquantitative myocardial perfusion imaging using sensitivity encoding incorporating temporal filtering (TSENSE),” Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 569–579, 2007.
- M. Jerosch-Herold, N. Wilke, A. E. Stillman, and R. F. Wilson, “Magnetic resonance quantification of the myocardial perfusion reserve with a Fermi function model for constrained deconvolution,” Medical Physics, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 73–84, 1998.
- M. Schmitt, G. Horstick, S. E. Petersen et al., “Quantification of resting myocardial blood flow in a pig model of acute ischemia based on first-pass MRI,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 53, no. 5, pp. 1223–1227, 2005.
- S. Weber, A. Kronfeld, R. P. Kunz et al., “Quantitative myocardial perfusion imaging using different autocalibrated parallel acquisition techniques,” Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 51–59, 2008.
- M. Jerosch-Herold, N. Wilke, Y. Wang et al., “Direct comparison of an intravascular and an extracellular contrast agent for quantification of myocardial perfusion,” International Journal of Cardiac Imaging, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 453–464, 1999.
- M. Schmitt, M. Viallon, M. Thelen, and W. G. Schreiber, “Quantification of myocardial blood flow and blood flow reserve in the presence of arterial dispersion: a simulation study,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 787–793, 2002.
- E. Wellnhofer, J. Osman, U. Kertzscher, K. Affeld, E. Fleck, and L. Goubergrits, “Flow simulation studies in coronary arteries-Impact of side-branches,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 213, no. 2, pp. 475–481, 2010.
- J. V. Soulis, G. D. Giannoglou, G. E. Parcharidis, and G. E. Louridas, “Flow parameters in normal left coronary artery tree. Implication to atherogenesis,” Computers in Biology and Medicine, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 628–636, 2007.
- J. Knight, U. Olgac, S. C. Saur et al., “Choosing the optimal wall shear parameter for the prediction of plaque location-A patient-specific computational study in human right coronary arteries,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 211, no. 2, pp. 445–450, 2010.
- M. M. Zarandi, R. Mongrain, and O. F. Bertrand, “Determination of flow conditions in coronary bifurcation lesions in the context of the medina classification,” Modelling and Simulation in Engineering, vol. 2012, Article ID 419087, 10 pages, 2012.
- F. Calamante, P. J. Yim, and J. R. Cebral, “Estimation of bolus dispersion effects in perfusion MRI using image-based computational fluid dynamics,” NeuroImage, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 341–353, 2003.
- D. Graafen, K. Münnemann, S. Weber, K. F. Kreitner, and L. M. Schreiber, “Quantitative contrast-enhanced myocardial perfusion magnetic resonance imaging: simulation of bolus dispersion in constricted vessels,” Medical Physics, vol. 36, no. 7, pp. 3099–3106, 2009.
- D. Graafen, J. Hamer, S. Weber, and L. M. Schreiber, “Quantitative myocardial perfusion magnetic resonance imaging: the impact of pulsatile flow on contrast agent bolus dispersion,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 56, no. 16, pp. 5167–5185, 2011.
- J. T. Dodge, B. G. Brown, E. L. Bolson, and H. T. Dodge, “Lumen diameter of normal human coronary arteries: influence of age, sex, anatomic variation, and left ventricular hypertrophy or dilation,” Circulation, vol. 86, no. 1, pp. 232–246, 1992.
- T. Pflederer, J. Ludwig, D. Ropers, W. G. Daniel, and S. Achenbach, “Measurement of coronary artery bifurcation angles by multidetector computed tomography,” Investigative Radiology, vol. 41, no. 11, pp. 793–798, 2006.
- S. Lammertz, Korrelation der Atherosklerose von Koronararterien mit einem Promotorpolymorphismus des antiinflammatorischen Gens CYP2J2 [Dissertation], Ruhr University Bochum, Bochum, Germany, 2007.
- E. VanBavel and J. A. E. Spaan, “Branching patterns in the porcine coronary arterial tree: estimation of flow heterogeneity,” Circulation Research, vol. 71, no. 5, pp. 1200–1212, 1992.
- “User Manual Ansys ICEM CFD 12.1,” 2009.
- M. Schiemann, F. Bakhtiary, V. Hietschold et al., “MR-based coronary artery blood velocity measurements in patients without coronary artery disease,” European Radiology, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 1124–1130, 2006.
- J. R. Lindner, D. M. Skyba, N. C. Goodman, A. R. Jayaweera, and S. Kaul, “Changes in myocardial blood volume with graded coronary stenosis,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 272, no. 1, pp. H567–H575, 1997.
- W. M. Chilian, S. M. Layne, E. C. Klausner, C. L. Eastham, and M. L. Marcus, “Redistribution of coronary microvascular resistance produced by dipyridamole,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 256, no. 2, pp. H383–H390, 1989.
- A. Lupi, A. Buffon, M. L. Finocchiaro, E. Conti, A. Maseri, and F. Crea, “Mechanisms of adenosine-induced epicardial coronary artery dilatation,” European Heart Journal, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 614–617, 1997.
- J. Segal, M. J. Kern, N. A. Scott et al., “Alterations of phasic coronary artery flow velocity in humans during percutaneous coronary angioplasty,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 276–286, 1992.
- T. Voigtländer, A. Schmermund, P. Bramlage et al., “The adverse events and hemodynamic effects of adenosine-based cardiac MRI,” Korean Journal of Radiology, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 424–430, 2011.
- A. Owall, J. Ehrenberg, L. A. Brodin, A. Juhlin-Dannfelt, and A. Sollevi, “Effects of low-dose adenosine on myocardial performance after coronary artery bypass surgery,” Acta Anaesthesiologica Scandinavica, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 140–148, 1993.
- A. M. Amanullah, D. S. Berman, H. Kiat, and J. D. Friedman, “Usefulness of hemodynamic changes during adenosine infusion in predicting the diagnostic accuracy of adenosine technetium-99m sestamibi single-photon emission computed tomography (SPECT),” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 79, no. 10, pp. 1319–1322, 1997.
- M. Mischi, J. A. Den Boer, and H. H. M. Korsten, “On the physical and stochastic representation of an indicator dilution curve as a gamma variate,” Physiological Measurement, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 281–294, 2008.
- I. E. Barton, “Comparison of simple- and piso-type algorithms for transient flows,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 459–483, 1998.
- R. Peyret, Handbook of Computational Fluid Mechanics, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1996.
- H. Iida, I. Kanno, and S. Miura, “Error analysis of a quantitative cerebral blood flow measurement using H215O autoradiography and positron emission tomography, with respect to the dispersion of the input function,” Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 536–545, 1986.
- F. Calamante, L. Willats, D. G. Gadian, and A. Connelly, “Bolus delay and dispersion in perfusion MRI: implications for tissue predictor models in stroke,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 55, no. 5, pp. 1180–1185, 2006.
- R. B. King, J. B. Bassingthwaighte, J. R. S. Hales, and L. B. Rowell, “Stability of heterogeneity of myocardial blood flow in normal awake baboons,” Circulation Research, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 285–295, 1985.
- K. Kroll, N. Wilke, M. Jerosch-Herold et al., “Modeling regional myocardial flows from residue functions of an intravascular indicator,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 271, no. 4, pp. H1643–H1655, 1996.
- I. S. Chan, A. A. Goldstein, and J. B. Bassingthwaighte, “SENSOP: a derivative-free solver for nonlinear least squares with sensitivity scaling,” Annals of Biomedical Engineering, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 621–631, 1993.
- D. P. Giddens, T. D. Tang, and F. Loth, “Fluid Mechanics of Arterial Bifurcations,” in Biological Flow, Plenum Press, New York, NY, USA, 1995.
- N. Arslan, V. Tuzcu, S. Nas, and A. Durukan, “CFD modeling of blood flow inside human left coronary artery bifurcation with aneurysms,” in Proceedings of the 3rd European Medical and Biological Engineering Conference (EMBEC '05), 2005.
- R. Ponzini, M. Lemma, U. Morbiducci, F. M. Montevecchi, and A. Redaelli, “Doppler derived quantitative flow estimate in coronary artery bypass graft: a computational multiscale model for the evaluation of the current clinical procedure,” Medical Engineering and Physics, vol. 30, no. 7, pp. 809–816, 2008.
- H. J. Kim, I. E. Vignon-Clementel, J. S. Coogan, C. A. Figueroa, K. E. Jansen, and C. A. Taylor, “Patient-specific modeling of blood flow and pressure in human coronary arteries,” Annals of Biomedical Engineering, vol. 38, no. 10, pp. 3195–3209, 2010.
- Y. X. Wang and R. M. Fitch, “Vascular stiffness: measurements, mechanisms and implications,” Current Vascular Pharmacology, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 379–384, 2004.
- F. Kabinejadian and D. N. Ghista, “Compliant model of a coupled sequential coronary arterial bypass graft: effects of vessel wall elasticity and non-Newtonian rheology on blood flow regime and hemodynamic parameters distribution,” Medical Engineering & Physics, vol. 34, no. 7, pp. 860–872, 2012.
- D. Zeng, E. Boutsianis, M. Ammann, K. Boomsma, S. Wildermuth, and D. Poulikakos, “A study on the compliance of a right coronary artery and its impact on wall shear stress,” Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, vol. 130, no. 4, Article ID 041014, 2008.
- N. M. Maurits, G. E. Loots, and A. E. P. Veldman, “The influence of vessel wall elasticity and peripheral resistance on the carotid artery flow wave form: a CFD model compared to in vivo ultrasound measurements,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 427–436, 2007.
- S. S. Varghese and S. H. Frankel, “Numerical modeling of pulsatile turbulent flow in stenotic vessels,” Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, vol. 125, no. 4, pp. 445–460, 2003.
- D. N. Ku, “Blood flow in arteries,” Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 29, pp. 399–434, 1997.
- A. R. Pries, D. Neuhaus, and P. Gaehtgens, “Blood viscosity in tube flow: dependence on diameter and hematocrit,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 263, no. 6, pp. H1770–H1778, 1992.
- T. Chaichana, Z. H. Sun, and J. Jewkes, “Computational fluid dynamics analysis of the effect of plaques in the left coronary artery,” Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 504367, 9 pages, 2012.
- M. Jerosch-Herold, R. T. Seethamraju, C. M. Swingen, N. M. Wilke, and A. E. Stillman, “Analysis of myocardial perfusion MRI,” Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 758–770, 2004.