- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 645702, 8 pages
Novel Application of a Multiscale Entropy Index as a Sensitive Tool for Detecting Subtle Vascular Abnormalities in the Aged and Diabetic
1Department of Electrical Engineering, National Dong Hwa University, Hualien, No. 1, Section 2, Da-Hsueh Road, Shoufeng, Hualien 97401, Taiwan
2Research Center for Adaptive Data Analysis and Center for Dynamical Biomarkers and Translational Medicine, National Central University, Chungli, Taiwan
3Department of Emergency Medicine, E-Da Hospital, I-Shou University, Kaohsiung City, Taiwan
4Department of Chinese Medicine, Buddhist Tzu-Chi General Hospital Taichung Branch, Taichung, Taiwan
5School of Chinese Medicine, Tzu Chi University, Hualien, Taiwan
Received 5 November 2012; Accepted 28 December 2012
Academic Editor: Guang Hu
Copyright © 2013 Hsien-Tsai Wu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. Grover-Páez and A. B. Zavalza-Gómez, “Endothelial dysfunction and cardiovascular risk factors,” Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, vol. 84, no. 1, pp. 1–10, 2009.
- P. O. Bonetti, L. O. Lerman, and A. Lerman, “Endothelial dysfunction: a marker of atherosclerotic risk,” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 168–175, 2003.
- R. M. J. Palmer, A. G. Ferrige, and S. Moncada, “Nitric oxide release accounts for the biological activity of endothelium-derived relaxing factor,” Nature, vol. 327, no. 6122, pp. 524–526, 1987.
- V. Schächinger, M. B. Britten, and A. M. Zeiher, “Prognostic impact of coronary vasodilator dysfunction on adverse long-term outcome of coronary heart disease,” Circulation, vol. 101, no. 16, pp. 1899–1906, 2000.
- O. T. Raitakari and D. S. Celermajer, “Flow-mediated dilatation,” British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 397–404, 2000.
- M. C. Corretti, T. J. Anderson, E. J. Benjamin et al., “Guidelines for the ultrasound assessment of endothelial-dependent flow-mediated vasodilation of the brachial artery: a report of the international brachial artery reactivity task force,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 257–265, 2002.
- P. O. Bonetti, G. M. Pumper, S. T. Higano, D. R. Holmes, J. T. Kuvin, and A. Lerman, “Noninvasive identification of patients with early coronary atherosclerosis by assessment of digital reactive hyperemia,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 44, no. 11, pp. 2137–2141, 2004.
- A. Nohria, M. Gerhard-Herman, M. A. Creager, S. Hurley, D. Mitra, and P. Ganz, “Role of nitric oxide in the regulation of digital pulse volume amplitude in humans,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 101, no. 2, pp. 545–548, 2006.
- P. O. Bonetti, G. W. Barsness, P. C. Keelan et al., “Enhanced external counterpulsation improves endothelial function in patients with symptomatic coronary artery disease,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 41, no. 10, pp. 1761–1768, 2003.
- U. Pohl, J. Holtz, R. Busse, and E. Bassenge, “Crucial role of endothelium in the vasodilator response to increased flow in vivo,” Hypertension, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 37–44, 1986.
- P. F. Davies, “Flow-mediated endothelial mechanotransduction,” Physiological Reviews, vol. 75, no. 3, pp. 519–560, 1995.
- R. F. Furchgott and J. V. Zawadzki, “The obligatory role of endothelial cells in the relaxation of arterial smooth muscle by acetylcholine,” Nature, vol. 288, no. 5789, pp. 373–376, 1980.
- S. Laurent, P. Boutouyrie, R. Asmar et al., “Aortic stiffness is an independent predictor of all-cause and cardiovascular mortality in hypertensive patients,” Hypertension, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 1236–1241, 2001.
- T. Münzel, T. Gori, R. M. Bruno, and S. Taddei, “Is oxidative stress a therapeutic target in cardiovascular disease?” European Heart Journal, vol. 31, no. 22, pp. 2741–2748, 2010.
- T. Nakagawa, K. Tanabe, B. P. Croker et al., “Endothelial dysfunction as a potential contributor in diabetic nephropathy,” Nature Reviews. Nephrology, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 36–44, 2011.
- M. Costa, A. L. Goldberger, and C. K. Peng, “Multiscale entropy analysis of complex physiologic time series,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 89, no. 6, Article ID 068102, 4 pages, 2002.
- M. Costa, A. L. Goldberger, and C. K. Peng, “Multiscale entropy analysis of biological signals,” Physical Review E, vol. 71, no. 2, Article ID 021906, 18 pages, 2005.
- M. Costa, A. L. Goldberger, and C. K. Peng, “Entropy to distinguish physiological and synthetic RR time series,” Computers in Cardiology, vol. 29, pp. 137–140, 2002.
- R. A. Thuraisingham and G. A. Gottwald, “On multiscale entropy analysis for physiological data,” Physica A, vol. 366, pp. 323–332, 2006.
- K. G. Alberti and P. Z. Zimmet, “Definition, diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus and its complications. Part 1: diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus provisional report of a WHO consultation,” Diabetic Medicine, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 539–553, 1998.
- H.-T. Wu, C.-H. Lee, and A.-B. Liu, “Assessment of endothelial function using arterial pressure signals,” Journal of Signal Processing Systems, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 223–232, 2011.
- H. T. Wu, C. H. Lee, A. B. Liu et al., “Arterial stiffness using radial arterial waveforms measured at the wrist as an indicator of diabetic control in the elderly,” IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 243–252, 2011.
- H. T. Wu, C. C. Liu, P. H. Lin et al., “Novel application of parameters in waveform contour analysis for assessing arterial stiffness in aged and atherosclerotic subjects,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 213, no. 1, pp. 173–177, 2010.
- E. Tejera, J. M. Nieto-Villar, and I. Rebelo, “Unexpected heart rate variability complexity in the aging process of arrhythmic subjects,” Communications in Nonlinear Science and Numerical Simulation, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 1858–1863, 2010.
- N. E. Huang, Z. Shen, S. R. Long et al., “The empirical mode decomposition and the Hubert spectrum for nonlinear and non-stationary time series analysis,” Proceedings of the Royal Society A, vol. 454, no. 1971, pp. 903–995, 1998.
- N. E. Huang, M. L. C. Wu, S. R. Long et al., “A confidence limit for the empirical mode decomposition and Hilbert spectral analysis,” Proceedings of the Royal Society A, vol. 459, no. 2037, pp. 2317–2345, 2003.
- J. S. Richman and J. R. Moorman, “Physiological time-series analysis using approximate and sample entropy,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 278, no. 6, pp. H2039–H2049, 2000.
- H. K. Yuan, C. Lin, P. H. Tsai et al., “Acute increase of complexity in the neurocardiovascular dynamics following carotid stenting,” Acta Neurologica Scandinavica, vol. 123, no. 3, pp. 187–192, 2011.
- D. Cheng, S. J. Tsai, C. J. Hong, and A. C. Yang, “Reduced physiological complexity in robust elderly adults with the APOE ε4 allele,” PLoS ONE, vol. 4, no. 11, Article ID e7733, 2009.
- Z. Trunkvalterova, M. Javorka, I. Tonhajzerova et al., “Reduced short-term complexity of heart rate and blood pressure dynamics in patients with diabetes mellitus type 1: multiscale entropy analysis,” Physiological Measurement, vol. 29, no. 7, pp. 817–828, 2008.