- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 650671, 13 pages
The iOSC3 System: Using Ontologies and SWRL Rules for Intelligent Supervision and Care of Patients with Acute Cardiac Disorders
1IMEDIR Center, University of A Coruña, Campus de Elviña s/n, 15071 A Coruña, Spain
2Department of Information and Communication Technologies, Computer Science Faculty, University of A Coruña, 15071 A Coruña, Spain
3Service of Anesthesiology, Resuscitation and Intensive Care, Meixoeiro Hospital, Meixoeiro s/n, 32600 Vigo, Spain
Received 26 October 2012; Revised 25 December 2012; Accepted 3 January 2013
Academic Editor: Alejandro Rodríguez González
Copyright © 2013 Marcos Martínez-Romero et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Karabatak and M. C. Ince, “An expert system for detection of breast cancer based on association rules and neural network,” Expert Systems with Applications, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 3465–3469, 2009.
- Y. Donchin, D. Gopher, M. Olin et al., “A look into the nature and causes of human errors in the intensive care unit,” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 294–300, 1995.
- P. J. Pronovost, D. A. Thompson, C. G. Holzmueller, L. H. Lubomski, and L. L. Morlock, “Defining and measuring patient safety,” Critical Care Clinics, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 1–19, 2005.
- E. Camiré, E. Moyen, and H. T. . Stelfox, “Medication errors in critical care: risk factors, prevention and disclosure,” Canadian Medical Association Journal, vol. 180, pp. 936–943, 2009.
- E. Tissot, C. Cornette, P. Demoly, M. Jacquet, F. Barale, and G. Capellier, “Medication errors at the administration stage in an intensive care unit,” Intensive Care Medicine, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 353–359, 1999.
- T. Berners-Lee, J. Hendler, and O. Lassila, “The semantic web,” Scientific American, vol. 284, no. 5, pp. 34–43, 2001.
- T. R. Gruber, The Role of Common Ontology in Achieving Sharable, Reusable Knowledge Bases: Knowledge Systems Laboratory, Computer Science Department Stanford University, 1991.
- O. Lassila and R. R. Swick, Resource Description Framework (RDF) Model and Syntax Specification, 1999.
- S. Bechhofer, F. van Harmelen, J. Hendler, et al., “OWL web ontology language reference,” W3C Recommendation, vol. 10, pp. 2006-01, 2004.
- Y. A. Lussier and O. Bodenreider, “Clinical ontologies for discovery applications,” in Semantic Web: Revolutionizing Knowledge Discovery in the Life Sciences, C. J. O. Baker and K.-H. Cheung, Eds., pp. 101–119, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2007.
- A. C. Yu, “Methods in biomedical ontology,” Journal of Biomedical Informatics, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 252–266, 2006.
- N. F. Noy, N. H. Shah, P. L. Whetzel et al., “BioPortal: ontologies and integrated data resources at the click of a mouse,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. W170–W173, 2009.
- M. A. Musen, Y. Shahar, H. Edward, et al., “Clinical decision-support systems,” Biomedical Informatics, pp. 698–736, 2006.
- F. T. De Dombal, D. J. Leaper, and J. C. Horrocks, “Human and computer aided diagnosis of abdominal pain: further report with emphasis on performance of clinicians,” British Medical Journal, vol. 1, no. 5904, pp. 376–380, 1974.
- R. A. Miller, H. E. Pople, and J. D. Myers, “Internist-I, an experimental computer-based diagnostic consultant for general internal medicine,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 307, no. 8, pp. 468–476, 1982.
- E. H. Shortliffe, Computer-Based Medical Consultations: MYCIN, Elsevier, New York, NY, USA, 1976.
- K. A. Kumar, Y. Singh, and S. Sanyal, “Hybrid approach using case-based reasoning and rule-based reasoning for domain independent clinical decision support in ICU,” Expert Systems with Applications, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 65–71, 2009.
- Y. Si, J. Gotman, A. Pasupathy, D. Flanagan, B. Rosenblatt, and R. Gottesman, “An expert system for EEG monitoring in the pediatric intensive care unit,” Electroencephalography and Clinical Neurophysiology, vol. 106, no. 6, pp. 488–500, 1998.
- Á. García-Crespo, A. Rodríguez, M. Mencke, J. M. Gómez-Berbís, and R. Colomo-Palacios, “ODDIN: ontology-driven differential diagnosis based on logical inference and probabilistic refinements,” Expert Systems with Applications, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 2621–2628, 2010.
- H. Ying and L. C. Sheppard, “Regulating mean arterial pressure in postsurgical cardiac patients,” IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Magazine, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 671–677, 1994.
- A. S. Nocedal, J. K. Gerrikagoitia, and I. Huerga, “Supporting clinical processes with semantic web technologies: a case in breast cancer treatment,” International Journal of Metadata, Semantics and Ontologies, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 309–320, 2010.
- J. M. Blum, G. H. Kruger, K. L. Sanders, J. Gutierrez, and A. L. Rosenberg, “Specificity improvement for network distributed physiologic alarms based on a simple deterministic reactive intelligent agent in the critical care environment,” Journal of Clinical Monitoring and Computing, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 21–30, 2009.
- R.-C. Chen, Y.-H. Huang, C.-T. Bau, and S.-M. Chen, “A recommendation system based on domain ontology and SWRL for anti-diabetic drugs selection,” Expert Systems with Applications, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 3995–4006, 2012.
- S. H. Liao, “Expert system methodologies and applications-a decade review from 1995 to 2004,” Expert Systems with Applications, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 93–103, 2005.
- S. Le Moigno, J. Charlet, D. Bourigault, P. Degoulet, and M. C. Jaulent, “Terminology extraction from text to build an ontology in surgical intensive care,” Proceedings of the AMIA Symposium, pp. 430–434, 2002.
- N. F. De Keizer, A. Abu-Hanna, R. Cornet, J. H. M. Zwetsloot-Schonk, and C. P. Stoutenbeek, “Analysis and design of an ontology for intensive care diagnoses,” Methods of Information in Medicine, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 102–112, 1999.
- G. Booch, J. Rumbaugh, and I. Jacobsen, The Unified Software Development Process—The Complete Guide to the Unified Process from the Original Designers, 1999.
- Philips Medical Systems, Philips Intellivue Patient Monitor X2, MP Series, MX Series. Data Export Interface Programming Guide, 2008.
- Alaris Medical Systems, Asena Syringe Pump Communications Protocol. Issue: 3.0, 2003.
- E. Sirin, B. Parsia, B. C. Grau, A. Kalyanpur, and Y. Katz, “Pellet: a practical OWL-DL reasoner,” Web Semantics, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 51–53, 2007.
- I. Horrocks, P. F. Patel-Schneider, H. Boley, et al., “SWRL: a semantic web rule language combining OWL and RuleML,” W3C Member submission, vol. 21, p. 79, 2004.
- K. W. Darlington, “Designing for explanation in health care applications of expert systems,” SAGE Open, vol. 1, 2011.
- M. S. Gönül, D. Önkal, and M. Lawrence, “The effects of structural characteristics of explanations on use of a DSS,” Decision Support Systems, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 1481–1493, 2006.
- M. F. López, A. Gómez-Pérez, J. P. Sierra, and A. P. Sierra, “Building a chemical ontology using methontology and the ontology design environment,” IEEE Intelligent Systems and Their Applications, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 37–46, 1999.
- L. W. Lacy, Owl: Representing Information Using the Web Ontology Language, Trafford Publishing, 2005.
- N. F. Noy, M. Sintek, S. Decker, M. Crubézy, R. W. Fergerson, and M. A. Musen, “Creating semantic web contents with protege-2000,” IEEE Intelligent Systems and Their Applications, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 60–71, 2001.
- M. O’Connor, S. W. Tu, C. I. Nyulas, et al., “Querying the semantic web with SWRL,” Advances in Rule Interchange and Applications, pp. 155–159, 2007.
- B. Smith, M. Ashburner, C. Rosse et al., “The OBO Foundry: coordinated evolution of ontologies to support biomedical data integration,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 25, no. 11, pp. 1251–1255, 2007.
- M. Martínez-Romero, J. M. Va'zquez-Naya, J. Pereira, et al., “A multi-criteria approach for automatic ontology recommendation using collective knowledge,” in Recommender Systems for the Social Web, pp. 89–104, Springer, 2012.
- M. Martínez-Romero, J. M. Va'zquez-Naya, C. R. Munteanu, et al., “An approach for the automatic recommendation of ontologies using collaborative knowledge,” in Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence, vol. 6277, pp. 74–81, 2010.
- M. Fernandez, A. Gomez-Perez, and N. Juristo, “Methontology: from ontological art towards ontological engineering,” in Proceedings of the Spring Symposium Series on Ontological Engineering (AAAI '97), pp. 33–40, 1997.
- A. Maedche and R. Volz, “The ontology extraction & maintenance framework Text-To-Onto,” in Proceedings of the Workshop on Integrating Data Mining and Knowledge Management, 2001.
- S. Smith and A. Kandel, Verification and Validation of Rule-Based Expert Systems, CRC, 1993.
- R. M. O'Keefe, Validation of Expert System Performance, Department of Computer Science, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 1986.
- R. M. O'Keefe and D. E. O'Leary, “Performing and managing expert system validation,” Advances in Expert Systems for Management, vol. 1, p. 141, 1993.
- O. Corcho, M. Fernández-López, and A. Gómez-Pérez, “Methodologies, tools and languages for building ontologies. Where is their meeting point?” Data and Knowledge Engineering, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 41–64, 2003.