- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 704829, 10 pages
Numerical Simulations of MREIT Conductivity Imaging for Brain Tumor Detection
1Department of Biomedical Engineering, Impedance Imaging Research Center (IIRC), Kyung Hee University, Yongin, Republic of Korea
2Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, USA
3Department of Mathematics, Konkuk University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Received 21 December 2012; Revised 21 February 2013; Accepted 5 April 2013
Academic Editor: Ulrich Katscher
Copyright © 2013 Zi Jun Meng et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. A. Moffat, T. L. Chenevert, T. S. Lawrence et al., “Functional diffusion map: a noninvasive MRI biomarker for early stratification of clinical brain tumor response,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 102, no. 15, pp. 5524–5529, 2005.
- C. Van de Wiele, C. Lahorte, W. Oyen et al., “Nuclear medicine imaging to predict response to radiotherapy: a review,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 5–15, 2003.
- W. D. Kaplan, T. Takvorian, and J. H. Morris, “Thallium-201 brain tumor imaging: a comparative study with pathologic correlation,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 47–52, 1987.
- R. F. Barajas Jr. and S. Cha, “Imaging diagnosis of brain metastasis,” Progress in Neurological Surgery, vol. 25, pp. 55–73, 2012.
- G. S. Young, “Advanced MRI of adult brain tumors,” Neurologic Clinics, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 947–973, 2007.
- S. H. Oh, B. I. Lee, E. J. Woo et al., “Conductivity and current density image reconstruction using harmonic Bz algorithm in magnetic resonance electrical impedence tomography,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 48, no. 19, pp. 3101–3116, 2003.
- E. J. Woo and J. K. Seo, “Magnetic resonance electrical impedance tomography (MREIT) for high-resolution conductivity imaging,” Physiological Measurement, vol. 29, no. 10, pp. R1–R26, 2008.
- A. S. Minhas, W. C. Jeong, Y. T. Kim, Y. Q. Han, H. J. Kim, and E. J. Woo, “Experimental performance evaluation of multi-echo ICNE pulse sequence in magnetic resonance electrical impedance tomography,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 66, pp. 957–965, 2011.
- M. Joy, G. Scott, and M. Henkelman, “In vivo detection of applied electric currents by magnetic resonance imaging,” Magnetic Resonance Imaging, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 89–94, 1989.
- G. C. Scott, M. L. G. Joy, R. L. Armstrong, and R. M. Henkelman, “Measurement of nonuniform current density by magnetic resonance,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 362–374, 1991.
- G. C. Scott, M. L. G. Joy, R. L. Armstrong, and R. M. Henkelman, “Sensitivity of magnetic-resonance current-density imaging,” Journal of Magnetic Resonance, vol. 97, no. 2, pp. 235–254, 1992.
- C. Park, O. Kwon, E. J. Woo, and J. K. Seo, “Electrical conductivity imaging using gradient decomposition algorithm in magnetic resonance electrical impedance tomography (MREIT),” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 388–394, 2004.
- N. Gao, S. A. Zhu, and B. He, “A new magnetic resonance electrical impedance tomography (MREIT) algorithm: the RSM-MREIT algorithm with applications to estimation of human head conductivity,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 51, no. 12, pp. 3067–3083, 2006.
- O. Birgül, B. M. Eyüboǧlu, and Y. Z. Ider, “Experimental results for 2D magnetic resonance electrical impedance tomography (MR-EIT) using magnetic flux density in one direction,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 48, no. 21, pp. 3485–3504, 2003.
- J. K. Seo, J. R. Yoon, E. J. Woo, and O. Kwon, “Reconstruction of conductivity and current density images using only one component of magnetic field measurements,” IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 50, no. 9, pp. 1121–1124, 2003.
- H. J. Kim, B. I. Lee, Y. Cho et al., “Conductivity imaging of canine brain using a 3 T MREIT system: postmortem experiments,” Physiological Measurement, vol. 28, no. 11, pp. 1341–1353, 2007.
- H. J. Kim, T. I. Oh, Y. T. Kim et al., “In vivo electrical conductivity imaging of a canine brain using a 3 T MREIT system,” Physiological Measurement, vol. 29, no. 10, pp. 1145–1155, 2008.
- H. J. Kim, Y. T. Kim, A. S. Minhas et al., “In vivo high-resolutionconductivity imaging of the human leg using MREIT: the first human experiment,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 28, no. 11, pp. 1681–1687, 2009.
- R. J. Sadleir, S. C. Grant, and E. J. Woo, “Can high-field MREIT be used to directly detect neural activity? Theoretical considerations,” NeuroImage, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 205–216, 2010.
- R. J. Sadleir, T. D. Vannorsdall, D. J. Schretlen, and B. Gordon, “Transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS) in a realistic head model,” NeuroImage, vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 1310–1318, 2010.
- S. B. Baumann, D. R. Wozny, S. K. Kelly, and F. M. Meno, “The electrical conductivity of human cerebrospinal fluid at body temperature,” IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 220–223, 1997.
- C. Gabriel, S. Gabriel, and E. Corthout, “The dielectric properties of biological tissues: I. Literature survey,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 41, no. 11, pp. 2231–2249, 1996.
- M. Akhtari, H. C. Bryant, A. N. Mamelak et al., “Conductivities of three-layer human skull,” Brain Topography, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 29–42, 2000.
- M. Dannhauer, B. Lanfer, C. H. Wolters, and T. R. Knosche, “Modeling of the human skull in EEG source analysis,” Human Brain Mapping, vol. 32, pp. 1383–1399, 2011.
- T. F. Oostendorp, J. Delbeke, and D. F. Stegeman, “The conductivity of the human skull: results of in vivo and in vitro measurements,” IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 47, no. 11, pp. 1487–1492, 2000.
- J. Latikka, T. Kuurne, and H. Eskola, “Conductivity of living intracranial tissues,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 46, no. 6, pp. 1611–1616, 2001.
- T. I. Oh, W. C. Jeong, A. McEwan et al., “Feasibility of MREIT conductivity imaging to evaluate brain abscess lesion: in vivo canine model,” Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging. In press.
- K. Jeon, A. S. Minhas, Y. T. Kim et al., “MREIT conductivity imaging of the postmortem canine abdomen using CoReHA,” Physiological Measurement, vol. 30, no. 9, pp. 957–966, 2009.
- A. S. Minhas, H. H. Kim, Z. J. Meng, Y. T. Kim, H. J. Kim, and E. J. Woo, “Three-dimensional MREIT simulator of static bioelectromagnetism and MRI,” Biomedical Engineering Letters, vol. 1, pp. 129–136, 2011.
- R. Sadleir, S. Grant, U. Z. Sung et al., “Noise analysis in magnetic resonance electrical impedance tomography at 3 and 11 T field strengths,” Physiological Measurement, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 875–884, 2005.
- G. J. Stanisz, E. E. Odrobina, J. Pun et al., “T1, T2 relaxation and magnetization transfer in tissue at 3T,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 54, no. 3, pp. 507–512, 2005.
- P. Schmitt, M. A. Griswold, P. M. Jakob et al., “Inversion Recovery TrueFISP: quantification of , , and Spin Density,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 661–667, 2004.
- E. M. Haacke, R. W. Brown, M. R. Thompson, and R. Venkatesan, Magnetic Resonance Imaging: Physical Principles and Sequence Design, Wiley-Liss, 1999.
- J. P. Reilly, Applied Bioelectricity, High-Voltage and High-Current Injuries, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 1998.
- R. J. Sadleir and A. Argibay, “Modeling skull electrical properties,” Annals of Biomedical Engineering, vol. 35, no. 10, pp. 1699–1712, 2007.
- H. S. Nam and O. I. Kwon, “Optimization of multiply acquired magnetic flux density using ICNE-multiecho train in MREIT,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 55, no. 9, pp. 2743–2759, 2010.
- B. I. Lee, S. H. Lee, T. S. Kim, O. Kwon, E. J. Woo, and J. K. Seo, “Harmonic decomposition in PDE-based denoising technique for magnetic resonance electrical impedance tomography,” IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 52, no. 11, pp. 1912–1920, 2005.
- C. O. Lee, S. Ahn, and K. Jeon, Denoising of Bz Data for Conductivity Reconstruction in Magnetic Resonance Electrical Impedance Tomography (MREIT), KAIST DMS BK21 Research Report Series, 2009.